Sign in to follow this  
Jeffrey Abrams

Storing chemicals

I am trying to come up with a working solution for traving with chemicals. I now have a 18 foot open travel in which I want to carry chem. for all different cleaning jobs. Space is limited. Trying to figure storage between 5 gallon pails, 55 gallons drums, etc. ? Any suggestion on how to safely travel?

Tie downs and tight lids. Maybe even build a cabinet for them to travel inside of and just lift the lid when you need access. I have seen rectangular tool boxes that mount on the tongue of the trailer so no space is lost on the inside of the trailer.

I guess it all depends on what your needs are. I've rearranged my chems and storage many times over the past couple of years as I find reasons to do so. I personally like 5g buckets for most of the chems I don't use as much of or as often, such as oxalic, degreasers, strippers and gutter cleaners. I keep my full strength chlorine in a 30g drum which I use for my house wash and pump up sprayer and a few other things, and I use a 100g tank to mix my roof cleaning chlorine solution.

5 Gal pails are easy to find, where do you get 10 -15 drums at a decent price? I may start with these rather that larger tanks to begin with until the income stream from the business allows for better stuff. BTW, I incorporated nine days ago, within six days I was getting junk mail addressed to the business. Gotta love it!

:banana:

Just a word of caution before you go loading up alot of 55 gallon drums on your trailer. You need to check with your state and local officals you are only allowed so much weight on chemical before you have to put placecards on your trailer and have a CDL with hazmat endorsement. I think its 1000 pounds of chemicals and at 8 pounds a gallon on water that is only 125 gallons or just over two 55 gallon drums. Just a thought. Oh ya and dont forget to have your MSDS book with you at all times.:lgwave:

When you buy the chems they should come with a MSDS sheet, if not call the supplier and get one. Make a folder and Label MSDS SHEETS and put all of the sheets in there. Now you have a MSDS Book so that when asked by DOT or whoever you are all ready to go.

Barry,

Where can you get a book of MSDS of all the chems?

Call your mfr and get them to fax an msds to you and just keep them in a binder that is largely labeled

Right to Know

M.S.D.S.

Plus, here is a link to an m.s.d.s. database you may find some of your products on.

http://www.ehs.cornell.edu/lrs/internetMSDS.htm

Rod!~