Sign in to follow this  
Able Hands

NC pollen

Question

Does the pollen season affect your ability to PW? Here in NC, starting about now, and going for at least a month or two, everthing turns yellow/green due to the pollen falling from the trees.

I'm not sure if this happens anywhere else in the country (don't remember it in NY or NV).

Does the pollen inhibit deck cleaning/sealing? House washes?

Matt

13 answers to this question

Alot of people hold off having homes washed until the pollen is gone. I have a couple complexes that wont let me wash until late May

Man that stuff is everywhere when it hits, I ve rinsed of my black truck 4-5 times in a day and its back in minutes.

I never in my life had allergies until I moved here and now I usually get the runny nose for about a month

JL

If anything, it helps get me more screened enclosure/pooldeck jobs...that stuff gets all over the inside of the support structure, and doesn't rinse off as well as it does on the outside. Not sure how it affects me getting jobs for housewashing, since I don't get a chance to talk to the customers who didn't call because of the pollen.

Does the pollen stop you from doing deck clean/seal?

Matt,

My guess would be that if you blow the pollun off the deck that it would not effect the oil stain that penetrates the wood.If on the other hand, you were using a solid or a film stain then you mave have problems. I could be wrong but that is my 2cents.

On another note, A man called and booked a house washing job for this week and called me back the next day and said never mind, my friend is going to do it.I wounder how long they will be friends after its done.

I use the same ole ready seal in pollen season and it dosent affect it at all .Just blow with a blower and be done with it.As far as house washing it slows a little for me .I get fewer house washes in polen season and more decks .strange thing here .With the oils in ready seal it dosent affect the process of the work.

Matt,

My guess would be that if you blow the pollun off the deck that it would not effect the oil stain that penetrates the wood.If on the other hand, you were using a solid or a film stain then you mave have problems. I could be wrong but that is my 2cents.

On another note, A man called and booked a house washing job for this week and called me back the next day and said never mind, my friend is going to do it.I wounder how long they will be friends after its done.

POLLEN ARGHHHHHHHHHH!! Everything is soo green here from the pine trees it's unbelievable.

I Don't think it's the best time to stain a deck when the pollen first starts falling.The customers that have it bad i'll wait a few weeks till it stops falling or slows down.If the pollen is too bad after you finished staining the pollen will settle on top of the oil.

Now after the oil base stain dries i'll tell my customer they can rinse the pollen off the deck.

I haven't had any problems so far after they rinsed the pollen off of the deck as the water just beads up and the pollen is washed away.

Pollen has not been a problem yet but those march winds are killing me.I have had to reschedule house washes all week. I feel for the guys around the coastal area.How in the heck do yall do it. Xjet and 15-20 mph winds dont mix.

Pollen has not been a problem yet but those march winds are killing me.I have had to reschedule house washes all week. I feel for the guys around the coastal area.How in the heck do yall do it. Xjet and 15-20 mph winds dont mix.

Pollen hit heavy today its green yellow everywhere, we'll see how long it last.

The winds have been a pain, at least most of this week we are cleaning gutters at several complexes. Did 44 buildings gutters Monday & Today another 3 then move to another complex of 14 tomorrow. Pine pollen is a pain , but pine needles in gutters are great

When the winds blowing cleaning chem all over me its one less bath I have to take LOL

Pollen hit heavy today its green yellow everywhere, we'll see how long it last.

The winds have been a pain, at least most of this week we are cleaning gutters at several complexes. Did 44 buildings gutters Monday & Today another 3 then move to another complex of 14 tomorrow. Pine pollen is a pain , but pine needles in gutters are great

When the winds blowing cleaning chem all over me its one less bath I have to take LOL

Jeff:

What's your method for getting pine straw out of gutters?

Jeff:

What's your method for getting pine straw out of gutters?

Mike almost all the roofs we can walk on, so we use back pack blowers and just blow the stuff out, we also carry with us if they are packed solid with pine straw, we use a little hook on a wooden extension pole, just hook some of the pine straw and start blowing with the blowers. When it gets hooked on the gutter nails just keep moving the blower back & forth and it comes free. Very rarely even have to bend over to reach in gutters. Alot of these gutters arent bad we do them every 3 months. We also use a lift so its real quick to get on roofs and no ladders

Gutter cleaning of complexes are some of my best money jobs, you should try to get some of this kinds of work, Do they have alot of pine straw where you are

Have a good one

JL

Mike almost all the roofs we can walk on, so we use back pack blowers and just blow the stuff out, we also carry with us if they are packed solid with pine straw, we use a little hook on a wooden extension pole, just hook some of the pine straw and start blowing with the blowers. When it gets hooked on the gutter nails just keep moving the blower back & forth and it comes free. Very rarely even have to bend over to reach in gutters. Alot of these gutters arent bad we do them every 3 months. We also use a lift so its real quick to get on roofs and no ladders

Gutter cleaning of complexes are some of my best money jobs, you should try to get some of this kinds of work, Do they have alot of pine straw where you are

Have a good one

JL

The hook idea is great! I'll try that. I don't do a lot of condo gutters anymore, but I get some houses with slam packed pine straw, and it is sometimes very difficult to just blow out, but is a pain to have to pull by hand.

The hook idea is great! I'll try that. I don't do a lot of condo gutters anymore, but I get some houses with slam packed pine straw, and it is sometimes very difficult to just blow out, but is a pain to have to pull by hand.

The hook we use is a red handled 4" paint roller handle we get from Lowes, screws right on the wooden extension pole. My worker ( Brother in law) is a pro with the hooks he flies through these gutters and does a great job. Also we have used a small piece of thin flat iron and screwed & taped it to a pole for smaller gutters we just bend the flat iron to the size of the gutter so it fits a little better.

We also use an electrician fish from Lowes to check the downspouts if needed. Just fish it down and you know if there clear of debris or not