Sign in to follow this  
dgold42

Foaming Gutter Zap

Question

Does anyone add Dawn or any other foaming agent to GZ. It seems that when I mix it right before applying it foams better and cleans quicker.

Plus I would think that something like dawn or any dish soap will help it cling better. I plan on trying this on my next house wash. Does anyone thinks this would be a benefit?

I really like the idea of running a 1/4 hose through an extension pole from a shureflow setup. Just not sure how to do it. Never used a shurflow setup before but I will be buying one from EDI distributors soon.

This would make spraying GZ alot easier and waste less chems. Has anyone done this? I'm looking for the easiest way to spray GZ to the second story.

I don't mind brushing, it's just one of those things you have to do most of the time. But there has to be an easier way to spray it on. The x-jet is great but waste to much product when it comes to GZ.

By the way, I've also added HD-80 to my GZ and it really helps. You just can't over do it.

Dan

12 answers to this question

Does anyone add Dawn or any other foaming agent to GZ. It seems that when I mix it right before applying it foams better and cleans quicker.

Plus I would think that something like dawn or any dish soap will help it cling better. I plan on trying this on my next house wash. Does anyone thinks this would be a benefit?

I really like the idea of running a 1/4 hose through an extension pole from a shureflow setup. Just not sure how to do it. Never used a shurflow setup before but I will be buying one from EDI distributors soon.

This would make spraying GZ alot easier and waste less chems. Has anyone done this? I'm looking for the easiest way to spray GZ to the second story.

I don't mind brushing, it's just one of those things you have to do most of the time. But there has to be an easier way to spray it on. The x-jet is great but waste to much product when it comes to GZ.

By the way, I've also added HD-80 to my GZ and it really helps. You just can't over do it.

Dan

I would suggest trying to apply the GZ directly from the brush. This is how I apply my gutter cleaner, and it's effecient and the least wasteful. Just pour a little of your GZ in a 5g bucket (just enough to cover the bottom of the bucket, maybe an 1" or so), dip your brush in, apply your chem to the gutter, agitate if neccessary, and rinse as usuall.

Dan, actually you can over do it, so to speak. Gutter Zap is pretty strong stuff. Hd-80 is pretty wicked in itself. Besides playing backyard chemist (which I do all the time) you are making something that will take the paint right off of gutters, drip down and damage siding or windows, instantly kill plant life and finally will burn like hell if it drips down on you. Experimenting is cool if you know what you are mixing, but ince you don't know all the constituents of the HD-80 I might leave that one alone.

Dan

i use an electric pump to apply gutter cleaner, but

i dont use gutter zap. its really fast and easy at

1gpm. i have to brush when the temps get below 60

no hot water. spray it on and rinse it off. houses without alot of gutter i brush since its easier to

than running a seperate hose around the house.

its worth having the seperate set up on large houses with alot of gutter. alot faster and easier than brushing.

Dan,

I have been actually thinking about how I can keep GZ from foaming.When I first wet my brush from the bucket the gutters clean better.After I start scrubbing is when the foam starts.This is when the gutters dont come as clean and there is a more likely chance that the foam suds fall and hit the siding on the house causing clean spots. This is my experience. I thought about using a spay bottle to apply GZ to the brush tring to eliminate the

suds.

Dan

IM not telling ya what to do but you dont need to mix anything with the zap.leave well enough if your not sure .dont make a mix ya will regret.straight zap is all you will need on gutters.Apply with brush and let dwell for a minute or longer as needed .if you let it set up to dry it will eat he paint and loose the shine on the gutters.If zap dries ya have to reapply again

Dan,

I have been actually thinking about how I can keep GZ from foaming.When I first wet my brush from the bucket the gutters clean better.After I start scrubbing is when the foam starts.This is when the gutters dont come as clean and there is a more likely chance that the foam suds fall and hit the siding on the house causing clean spots. This is my experience. I thought about using a spay bottle to apply GZ to the brush tring to eliminate the

suds.

Rodney,

I think that's why the earlier post about mating an extension wand and a sprayer. Like youself, I have found that the potentcy of GZ (and other gutter products) drops dramatically. It's not the foam, but the chemical being consumed by the oxidized paint. Re-dips into the bucket taint the whole bucket, and it drops in potentcy dramatically as well. GZ is most effective when sprayed onto dry gutters.

That said, I built and used an extension sprayer for GZ and it worked very well. I just drilled a 1/4 hole through a truck brush and ran a metal tube through so it poked out the back (non-bristle) side. This left the brush funtional and near the gutter when in progress. Anyway, 30ft of 1/4 tube, a ball value, and a salvaged pump sprayer and I had a 18ft gutter sprayer.

Philip,

My brother in law has been helping me since last year and he is my gutter man so to speak.He has been talking about the exact detail in spaying the GZ up the extension poll. If by chance you have pics or further info drop me an email. David is a tool and dye guy retired. I will get him to build one for use to use.

I just placed an order today for GZ. I had been using PP and it did the job okay but required a great deal of brushing and then after a while it seems as though the PP had lost its potency. From reading the earlier post, it appears that the constant dipping back and forth in the solution causes the PP that is in the bucket to somewhat loose it potency. I then tried to use Powerhouse and man the streaks came off with little or no brushing. One downfall was that you could only do about a five foot section before the product would dry up. Powerhouse is about twice as much for a five gallon than the PP that I was getting from my auto supplier. Great product though

Pdolittle.

Hey could you post a picture of that GZ brush you created? I am looking at a better way to brighten gutters. I did 4 homes on Saturday and they were all two stories and If I do not find a better way to clean them. Well lets say.... I will be all HEAD AND SHOULDERS.....

Or you if you perfer not to post pic here could you e-mail.

Tdegraffreed@comcast.net

Pic seekers,

Sadly, I do not have a pic. It broke about the time I stopped selling gutter scrubbing and I have not made another. But, it was really very simple and I can describe it well enough for anyone to make one. Total cost (excluding pole) was about $30. Total time once all materials were together was about 15 minutes.

Actually, an extenda wand would be perfect if you could gut the HP hose, replace it with 1/4 braided, and add threads for the brush.

Once you've tried spraying the gutters, you'll never go back to dip & brush. It works far better and is much less wasteful of product.

Parts:

Truck brush, extension pole with matching threads.

Pump up sprayer with metal wand.

20'ish feet of 1/4 braided hose.

2 large hose clamps

2 small hose clamps

hacksaw, drill bit.

1. Measure the spray wand diameter. Get a drill bit that size. Probably 1/4"

2. Starting on the thread side of the brush through the brush head so the drill bit passes behind the bristles and emerges on the threaded side of the brush. Your hose will be coming out where the drill bit does so locate it so you can still use the brush unimpeded.

3. Cut the sprayer wand in half between the tip and where it meets the trigger.

4. Push the wand half through the brush head so the spray tip is on the non-threaded side, and the bare pipe emerges on the threaded side.

5. Connect the trigger/cut pipe remaining on the pump up to the brush head using the 1/4 braided tube and hose clamps.

6. (Optional) Attach the sprayer trigger to the extension pole using the large hose clamps.

How to use:

Raise the pole and fan spray about 6ft of gutters. Rotate the pole and scrub if neccessary. Truthfully, with a dry spray you can usually just xjet the gook off and re-apply if neccessary. Scrubbing is no often neccessary.