Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Truck Size

OKyou all should know Im not very mechanical so I NEED SOME ADVISE

I prefer to buy a new truck but am looking at used

Been to a couple chevy dealers and found out a few things I didnt know, just because I have no clue

Alright this is strickly a work truck Im looking for stripped down vinyl carpet, am/fm auto no power windows

The Chevy 1500 HD & 2500HD i can get with a 6.0 engine and a 4.10 axle, both have towing rating of 10,300 and the 2500 has 10,500. The 2500 hundred has some better stiffer suspension, but other than that, can I just go with the 1500HD ????

Now I'm thinking is a 6.0 enough engine???? They have the 8000 vortex 8.0 basically

I want something that will last and be able to pull my large 16 foot enclosed trailer with a lot of equipment weight in it. Would I be stupid to go with 6.0 its basically what I have now and I fear Im slowing killing my 1500 dodge

6.0 or 8.0 ???

Please give me advise

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff if you go with the 8.0 you might as well get a duramax in the truck. My friend has an 8.0 and he gets around 8-9mpg towing a big travel trailer. That sucks!!!! If I were you I would go with the 2500 it will last longer and allow you to carry heavier loads safer. And will not wear out as fast. I have a 2000 2500 with the 6.0 and I love it. I have a 6x12 trailer loaded with my gear and a 300 gal tank. On some of my accounts I throw a 275gal tote in my bed fill it up and go with out a problem. Thats 2,400#s in the bed and all the weight on the trailer.

4.10 are exellant gears for low end stuff like towing, hills, 1/4mile etc. But on the highway your milage will suffer. I personally like to run with 3.75s in the rear.

Hope this helps a bit and made sense. Now I gotta get back to cleaning the house I'm getting married on Friday and the house has to look good.

Second the 2500HD. It has more than enough power and load capcity. You don't want to max out a truck. The truck needs to manage the load in all conditions. (trying to avoid the chevy v ford v dodge conversation) but our truck 05 2500HD gets a constant 18mpg (empty or loaded) and never a problem with power.

The more cubic inches the more grunt you are going to have at low rpm (torque) For the money, torque and longevity you cannot beat a diesel. I think Chevy's is 6.6L. You can retrofit an aftermarket system from Gale Banks or BullyDog that will let you spin a knob to determine whether you want fuel economy or a tire shredding 650 ft/lbs of torque.

Thanks everybody!!!! I also talked to a couple local mechanics today and they reccomended the 2500HD over the 1500 and said stay away from the 8.0 gas guzzler. THANKS AGAIN

HEY RICHARD CONGRATS, HAVE A GREAT WEDDING DAY!!!!!!! ENJOY, take some pics

Jeff

Jeff, what year is your Dodge. I have a 04 Ram 1500 Hemi and I do not see any issues with pulling my 7x14 double axle trailer. This is my first truck so I guess I do not know what I am camparing it to But it pulls great. Gas mileage sucks when I am pulling the trailer. But it makes money when I am pulling it so.. go figure.

Now I gotta get back to cleaning the house I'm getting married on Friday and the house has to look good.

Congrads Richard!!!!!!!!!!

Second the 2500HD. It has more than enough power and load capcity. You don't want to max out a truck. The truck needs to manage the load in all conditions. (trying to avoid the chevy v ford v dodge conversation) but our truck 05 2500HD gets a constant 18mpg (empty or loaded) and never a problem with power.

What engine does that have in it?? That's hard to beleive.

Is that what it gets on paper is that what the overhead thing tells you???

I found out you can't beleive that overhead readout all the time.

One important note about engine power and towing trailers. Any good F150/1500 series truck can pull 5000lbs without much effort. I pull my trailer daily with a 4.2l v6. Many times it has a full load of water and tips the scale at ~5200#

That said, the frontal area of the trailer and the road grade makes a HUGE difference if the engine power is marginal. A travel trailer or an enclosed trailer is much harder on the truck to pull than an open trailer because it presents a HUGE area that has to be dragged through a sea of air. My V6 f150 that pulls my 5k# work trailer just fine struggles to pull my 4100# travel trailer down the highway. And while I can pull my work trailer at 80mph without a problem, put me on a 7% grade and I'm pedal to the floor doing 35 and dropping.

Btw, manufacturers do not brag about frontal area towing capacity, but it is in the specs. Check it out and it will tell you alot about the truck.

Jeff, what year is your Dodge. I have a 04 Ram 1500 Hemi and I do not see any issues with pulling my 7x14 double axle trailer. This is my first truck so I guess I do not know what I am camparing it to But it pulls great. Gas mileage sucks when I am pulling the trailer. But it makes money when I am pulling it so.. go figure.

Its a 2001, its a good truck but with my traier full with up to 3 55 gallon drums of chem, 3, 4gpm machines an extra 6-7 hundred ft of pressure house and skid 7 tank and misc stuff its a lot of weight and I can feel it, I had to replace one axle already, but that was already probably wearing prior to pulling trailer and I may have some tranny issues that will be getting checked out Friday

I want a newer stronger better pulling truck for the trailer and the Dodge I'm keeping to pull my little open trailer and my next skid set up is going to be an open 12 footer.

The Dodge gas mileage is bad when pulling the enclosed I can watch the gauge go down when I travel 45 minutes away then back. I like my Dodge but I think I'll do better with the newer 2500HD for pulling my big ass rolling billboard

Thanks everyone for the input

They had a Chevy 3500 Dually fully loaded a beautiful truck , real nice!!! Maybe I'll get it. It was only listed for $50,000. Crazy 50K but she was pretty

JL