Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Honda Engines

I was inquiring into some new equipment, and the builder told me that even though Honda is well known, their small engines are not as good as they were 7 years ago. He says that parts have been changed to cheaper quality, and that the engines fail sooner.

Said that they are more prone to oil leaks than Kohler or the Briggs Vanguard, and that if the valves are not adjusted every 12 months, they will not last.

Anyone else ever hear this? Or is this just a Briggs/Kohler dealer feeding me a line?

He is kind of correct...Honda does not make the same extreme high quality engine they used to do. They still make a quality product though. They are a mature manufacturer in a mature market so it is possible they are making component decisions that they would not have made years ago.

Kohler is usually a torque monster by comparison and a North American built brand.

The Vanguard is built under license for Briggs in Japan not far from the old Honda engine plant.

Either of them have had their problems with oil seals, lifters, pistons et al.

Honda has just moved a lot if not all of their engine production to Taiwan.

Robin builds highly durable engines and I believe they are also one of the very few with full OHC engines.

Kawasaki makes arguably the best small industrial engine on the market.

In all, Honda has a well deserved reputation and other manufacturers are building quality products now as well.

The decision really gets down to parts and service availability which for some areas may not be as good as others.

Hope this helps? Cheers.

I have not heard that in specific, but engines are changed almost on the yearly basis. Each manufacturer will try to reduce the manufacturing, materials and supplier costs to increase profits.

In otherwords, it would not surprise me.

For example, the 1988 chevy 350 engine blocks - they were trying to reduce the material costs and the castings were made so thin that they had cracking issues. I think they found the lower limit there. Many metal parts were converted to plastic parts to reduce costs, but these failed sooner, especially in higher stress and heat areas.

I like the Honda engines, as I believe the ovarall quality is still excellent. I have heard of more problems in general about Kohler engines but that's general to include lawnmowers and other equipment.

I suppose it depends on who you talk to.

Be interested to hear more on this subject.

My take on the small engines is like the early Japanese imported cars, all are built inder one roof with different name tags put on as they leave the back dock.

Honda is known for very long delays when it comes to approving warranty work, whether done on purpose or not many end up buying new engines or paying to fix old one before Honda even gets around to deciding what to do, in other words their customer service stinks.

I do not know from personal experience just from what I have read over the years on boards.

Nope, Kohler builds Kohler, Yamaha builds Vanguard, and Daihatsu builds boat anchors.

The Hondas are good machines. I prefer them over Vanguards. You do need to adjust the valves, and do not plan on using their warranty for anything, it is ridiculously complicated, and nearly impossible to get them to warranty anything. Just my experience.

Scott Stone

My experience with Honda has all been good. I have one 11hp that is 8 years old with at least 2000 hours, and it runs like a champ. The only repair was a muffler gasket I replaced a few years back.

I have a 2 year old 13hp that sometimes gets temperamental starting, I don't know why. Sometimes I'll have to pull cord 4-5 times before it starts.

My newest is a 20hp on my hot water rig, and knock on wood, it has run fabulously as well.

Of course if one ever fails my opinion may change.

My first play toy was a lowes special, It ran great until the valves went, It was picked up on the warranty.... But it took 1 month to repair...

Matt

Kohler did have a series of engines that were built for them by a Japanese supplier but they turned out to be more expensive than the domestic production.

Briggs will admit that the Vanguard is a superior engine to their domestic production Intek/IC et al.

Honda does have the deck stacked in their favour when it comes to warranty so follow the rules religiously regarding oil changes and maintenance.

Hope this helps? Cheers.

And, no matter how religious you are, they will still deny it, or you will have to wwait for a factory rep to come in three weeks from next tuesday, and they will try to remember to have him look at it.

Scott