Sign in to follow this  
Barry M

I got laid off!

Question

Well, I got laid off from the full time job yesterday for at least a month. Unfortunate circumstances caused us to loose a big job and my intelligent boss had all his eggs in one basket. Most likely I won't get called back, the company is pretty much washed up. Now I'm torn between finding another full time job or trying to live off of power washing. My wife is freaking out over the whole thing and isn't being very supportive right now. I only have 1 part time season of power washing under my belt. I feel like it's too early to try and survive on PWing right now. On the other hand it might be difficult to schedule PWing jobs with having a new fulltime job and not knowing what they will expect of me. Maybe I should send out 5000 postcards and see how far it takes me and then get a new job once things slow down. I'm just confused on what to do right now and to be honest I'm pretty scared. I guess I'm just looking for some encouraging words, but please be honest and tell me what you think.

Thanks.

28 answers to this question

Man, you guys should all be motivational speakers. I can't begin to tell you all how thankful I am for the overwhelming response and all the encouraging posts. I have also recieved emails and had the pleasure of talking to a few of you on the phone...thank you so much.

The past few months I have done nothing but think about my business. I think about it at work, on the hour drive to and from work, at home, in bed, everywhere. I network and research online almost everyday, I am on my third marketing book this winter, I listen to a marketing teleconference almost every Saturday, my website is almost finished, I have a toll free number now, I'll be in the yellow pages for the first time this spring, I have a trailer I'm putting together for roof cleaning, I just got my yard signs, I have some funds to mail a few postcards, and I already have a few paying jobs lined up......what the hell am I scared for?

Who am I kidding, this is what I wanted. I can do it, I will make it work, failure is not an option. Thanks again guys for all your help.

Man, you guys should all be motivational speakers. I can't begin to tell you all how thankful I am for the overwhelming response and all the encouraging posts. I have also recieved emails and had the pleasure of talking to a few of you on the phone...thank you so much.

The past few months I have done nothing but think about my business. I think about it at work, on the hour drive to and from work, at home, in bed, everywhere. I network and research online almost everyday, I am on my third marketing book this winter, I listen to a marketing teleconference almost every Saturday, my website is almost finished, I have a toll free number now, I'll be in the yellow pages for the first time this spring, I have a trailer I'm putting together for roof cleaning, I just got my yard signs, I have some funds to mail a few postcards, and I already have a few paying jobs lined up......what the hell am I scared for?

Who am I kidding, this is what I wanted. I can do it, I will make it work, failure is not an option. Thanks again guys for all your help.

GET R' DONE!!!!!:lgkick:

There ya go!!!

Hey, what you were feeling is what many of us feel at the beginning of the busy season, when things are still slow. A month ago I was scrambling for work...One 600 letter mailer coupled with the weather warming a bit and bam, I've been busy the past three weeks, and I'm booked for the next two, with a pile of estimates to do Monday.

Just don't give up! There's plenty of work out there, and lots of ways to get it.