Sign in to follow this  
Able Hands

Protecting new grass seedlings

Question

I have a customer that wants his painted deck washed. The deck has been about 80% painted and he wants it washed so he can finish painting it. I know it is a sin to paint a deck, but that's what he's done.

In any case he has new grass coming up around the deck and into the yard. To get the mildew off from the deck I need to use a good bleach solution, but the customer is concerned about killing all of the new grass that he has planted.

If I pre-wet the area, cover with plastic, and KEEP the area wet, can I avoid killing the new grass? Is there something else that I should do? I am assuming that the new grass will be quite vulnerable to bleach.

Thoughts?

Matt

9 answers to this question

Sounds like the approach you are suggesting would work. The only thing that I would add to the scenario is that once you are done spraying chems I would throw some fertilizer on the new grass area (make sure the grass is still wet).

I would also add into the contract with the customer all the steps you took to ensure that the grass would not be adversly effected by the chems. You migh want to add a simple clause to state that you can not be held responsible should in fact the new grass not thrive and/or grow.

Good idea on the clause for it not growing.

Also, I would try this first thing in the morning when the temps aren't too high. Even with wetting, you can burn, or steam things very quickly under plastic.

I have a customer that wants his painted deck washed. The deck has been about 80% painted and he wants it washed so he can finish painting it. I know it is a sin to paint a deck, but that's what he's done.

In any case he has new grass coming up around the deck and into the yard. To get the mildew off from the deck I need to use a good bleach solution, but the customer is concerned about killing all of the new grass that he has planted.

If I pre-wet the area, cover with plastic, and KEEP the area wet, can I avoid killing the new grass? Is there something else that I should do? I am assuming that the new grass will be quite vulnerable to bleach.

Thoughts?

Matt

Carlos, I agree with you , except on one point. Fresh fertilizer on grass after a deck wash can be damaging to the grass as the dilution from the bleach mix will still be present to some degree. The mixing of the fert and wash chems caused me alot of trouble last year. Esp. if you don't know what kind of fertilzer or what it will react to. If I could simply suggest that he have his customer just rinse the area affected by the falloff daily for a week or so to completely eliminate the wash chems, and then add the fert. He should have no ill effects. I actually mentioned this to my customer today and explained in a fashion that made him agree to the "potential" of damage.

Although heavy rinsing (the more, the better) is always the safest bet in my book. But I do not want to be onsite the day of the fert treatment.

... And Rich ( great to meet you at Sunbrite , by the way) you are right about burning the plants with plastic tarps or covers. Best to just rinse constantly and avoid the tarps if possible.

Somehow I hear the echos of Beth's voice when I first found out about TGS.

Rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse.

Thoughts?

Matt

what ever ya do dont cover the new seedling with plastic it will kill instantly.will smother new seedlings.tough one to call let customer know it may do a little damage wet and wet and wet keep wet

You might also wait till the seedlings are a little more mature, then do it. Showing care for the new seedlings by waiting for a month or so, might be the ticket. We have been in this place several times. We practically beg folks to wait till we are done to plant it, but if they insist, we suggest they wait till they are established a little. If they still insist it be done sooner, get them to sign that you are not responsible, even with the greatest of care, things can happen. I agree with Rich, do it early in the day.

Beth

p.s. rinse rinse rinse rinse rinse

I lost this job on price$$$

This deck is a two tiered deal, with both tiers about 16x16. Hand rails everwhere, 4 sets of steps, and lattice around the whole perimeter of both tiers. Lots of mold and mildew on the paint.

I know it's tuff without some photos to gauge, but what would any of you charge roughly for a wash of this type. Please send via PM or email if not publicly. I'm not overly concerned that I lost the job, just curious if I went overboard on the pricing given the PITA factor with the new grass.

Customer is actually a friend of a friend, that I see on a semi-regular basis. If it turns out that I tried to screw him (out of my own ignorance), I'd like to know, so that I can apologize and adjust pricing if necessary. I've got my house wash prices down OK, but decks are still to new for me to have confidence in pricing.

I acutally have a deck job for a "real" customer coming up that I have to give an estimate for, but I think I'll start another thread with pics for that one. Need advice on strippers and such, as well as some pricing help from the NC locals.

Matt

I'll just throw out $500, for a light wash. Might take 2-3 hours. While a light wash job like that would be profitable down around $300, it depends how you biz is set up. Is everything on reels, and set up to jump out, run up, blast, and roll up?? Guys that regulary do low priced jobs are set up that way, guys that wash driveways, etc. I'm not that fast, not set up to do "fast" jobs like that, so I wouldn't mess with something under $500.

And forget about the "I might have screwed them" scenario. Believe me, even if you charged abundantly high on this job, and continued to get those rates all year, you wouldn't get rich. A very nice income, maybe, but your work SHOULD be valued high.

I've had people tell me my consulting rates were as high as structural engineers and lawyers (a lawyer said this:)), stating it in a way as if to say, "who do you think you are charging this much?" I told him to open the yellow pages and see if he could locate any lawyers locally, and to see if there were any engineers local. Obviously there were tons of them, and then I told him to see if he could find someone else to do what I do. All about Supply And Demand. I told him he was lucky I was only charging as much as a lawyer:). I'd say, keep your prices up for whoever, and if this bothers you, I wouldn't work for friends. That is what I do; I either charge normal or I do it for free/help them/loan them equipment.