Sign in to follow this  
jgoral76

school

Question

Well I've had it with the auto industry as far as manufacturing goes, with all these companies filing bankruct so they can get out of these contracts and move to China. So I think I'm going back to school while Chrysler will still pay for it. I have a few classes in mind such as auto technology(fixing cars) but don't know if I want to be apart of that anymore, or EMSA( EMT) for short but the pay is;nt that great but differnent every day. Or Fire 101 thats cool stuff I dont know, wife says biz admin, I say no I guess I want to do something before it's too late How about you.

11 answers to this question

Jeff,

Why not put the effort into your P/W biz and education while you still have the corporate job. Then if the s@#! hits the fan you are ready to be on your own. You have already started it, just expand it.

Doug

well Doug I think thats a great idea but i need some schooling in something else, I think i could learn PW from Pwer's like the time spent fleet washing with you. thats time well spent, but need something more, this is still in the begining with school.

by the way chrysler will not pay for me to take power washing school because delco could not be proven to be accredited, go figure but they pay for basket weaving for a flower shop lol.

yeah i know wife knows best, but wife dont pay bills i do (that stinks) but i will consider but tell me why in your opinion i should take those courses and not auto tech.

Local and university’s have power washing classes that could help you a ton.

These are folks accredited so your work will pay.

Look into it, they will be credits you can transfer and apply to another degree down the road.

The best class I took was and sales class and an entrepreneur class. Both 202 classes and a photo classes were second, third all my communications courses.

I would love to take some firefighting courses just for fun, no time in my life at the present time.

The environmental course about waist water pretreatment was good but not very realistic in our field. (This one is often a bigger marketing tool than anything because my competition doesn’t have it.) But I don’t use it.

What do you aspire to do?? If you want to own a body shop, I'd skip college. Read about 100 books on running biz, marketing, etc. Depending on your age.....IMO, about 50% of the value of college is networking, 50% learning books, adaptability, ability to absorb, etc. If you are gungho to go to college, but also gungho to be self-employeed, DEFINITELY major/study accounting. You can read tons of books on marketing, etc., but if i were going back to college, as much as I hated accounting, I'd consider majoring in it.

You know it's a tuff decision for me,i kinow this wont last, auto industry is bad. but while they pay for it i need to do something. pw classes not offered anywhere i can think of. anyway it's not the class i'd take for pw.for me it all boils down to marketing in the pw industry. I am however pretty damm good at working on autos so i tink thats where i'm headed, hybrids class.... it;s pretty much name your price. on the pw thing i'm still in this world thinking of this is my xtra income thing not crao i need to pay the house payment thing so as much as i hate to say it,thats where it is. i know all the talk about putting in hrs doing flyers and marketing and such, but in my world its food on the table before flyers in the mail. i know u dont have to say it, thats how u start, believe me i'm trying. thanks just getting feverish on this auto thing. bye.

I hear BMW techs can make up to 150K a year! I bet you are right, the Hybrid market is where the money will be.....but have fun dealing with the epa!

I'd try to do both school & pw, but school 1st while its free. Auto is great we will always be driving

Or maybe you can get one of those jobs they say americans won't do lol OR come work for me I need some good help lol

Good luck with whatever your choices are

JL