Sign in to follow this  
VanDiesel99

Leaking Guns

Does anyone else ever have a problem with leaking guns? Is it because the spring in the ball valve portion of the gun has weakened? Are rebuilds pretty much universal? I know some of the balls are different sizes.

On occasion I have a gun leak. I do not rebuild, just put a new gun on. Keep a few spares around just for that purpose. I think they are very reliable as long as your not pumping acids through them. When ever I use to use acid they were leaking in a matter of days. Never took one apart to see where the problem was.

Doug

Then I toss 'em.

Dultmeier is just down the road, so I keep the latest removed, the ones installed, and then buy new and they all move up one notch. The one last removed is the emergency spare, the prevoius one hits the can.

I change when they start to go leaky.

I'm using the "relaxed action" guns, I think from Suttner. My right hand is pretty well shot, but can hold one of these for a much greater time than normal guns. I wonder if anybody has seen any difference in reliability? I haven't replaced one yet, so no firsthand experience to draw from.

Anybody else using them?

Then I toss 'em.

Dultmeier is just down the road, so I keep the latest removed, the ones installed, and then buy new and they all move up one notch. The one last removed is the emergency spare, the prevoius one hits the can.

I change when they start to go leaky.

I'm using the "relaxed action" guns, I think from Suttner. My right hand is pretty well shot, but can hold one of these for a much greater time than normal guns. I wonder if anybody has seen any difference in reliability? I haven't replaced one yet, so no firsthand experience to draw from.

Anybody else using them?

I use the stainless steel version that suttner offers they are a lil expensive but they do last longer IMHO.

The 2' gun we use on our Femco (shurflo) has a hard time holding up with the chemicals we use. We've gone through 2 guns quickly @ $45 a pop! We took the first one apart and the ball bearing inside the trigger mechanism is corroding and allowing liquid to pass without the trigger being depressed. Our gun leaks a steady small stream even though we quickly rinse out the hose and gun after each chemical application. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good gun to use that will hold up to chemicals? If not, where can we get a good cheap 2' gun?

Why not build a wand(Phelps Wand) out of PVC like those used for cleaning roofs?You could use the inline ball valve to adjust flow to a ceratin degree.

You might have to use a small I.D. PVC but it should be pretty easy to put together.

We took the first one apart and the ball bearing inside the trigger mechanism is corroding and allowing liquid to pass without the trigger being depressed.

Can you find a stainless steel bearing the same size as the ones that corrode? Just replace them when they need it!

We tried a few local hardware stores and some auto supply shops and could not find any. There is a larger store a little further away that may have what we need, but I think we're going to try and make the "Phelps Wand". It sounds more like what we would need and will probably last a lot longer.

We use Suttner guns, relaxed action or easy pull. I have a stainless steel one, high costs but dayum, the trigger gets tough after a while.

I don't rebuild either, buy new and keep a couple on hand for spares.

Rod!~