Sign in to follow this  
Crownroyal

Variable speed angle grinder

Question

Where do you guys purchase variable speed angle grinders? And what’s the best price you see them for?

I have seen two at log home store Inc but was wondering if I could pick one up at a local store. I would like to have one that has a multitude of settings or at least a nice range to do wood work.

Home Depot doesn’t have them near here.

Thanks.

Dan

Dagan Exteriors

VA

14 answers to this question

Look for a variable speed 7" polisher. A good one is going to be $150-$250. Harbor Freight Tools sells a cheap one for around $35. I bought one and while it is nowhere near as balanced as my other Makitas (and heavier) it does the job.

But you have to be careful. I have bought hoses and hand tools there, and the results were pretty mixed.

One two wheeler I bought is great outside because of the large wheels, but the axle bushings are shot when you buy them. Bearings are cheap and seem to be able to escape the races like unfenced chickens in a barnyard.

I bought a measuring wheel there for next to nothing, and that is what it measured. The minor point was that it measured feet and tenths of feet, which is odd. The major point was that it worked for 9 and 3/10's feet after purchase before the counter failed. I'd say that was a bit behind the curve.

Strangely, friends of mine report that the airtools are unrefined and heavy, but work and last well. Kind of like soviet weapons. Go figure.

I'm just saying be aware that what you are buying is just junk, some is nice junk, but still junk. Kinda like fast-food: It will keep you alive in a pinch, but really isn't good for you as a steady diet.:lgbounces

CrownRoyal,

If you are using buffing pads, you need the Makita 9227C BUFFER, and you can also use an Osborne Brush with these.

Or, you can get a 9564CV 4.5" angle grinder (Makita) which is variable speed to run an Osborne and other grinding/sanding tools. I WOULD NOT get any grinder that is not variable speed, you'll kill yourself. This grinder I've mentioned runs around $160, and you'll need to get it at a power tool store, not HD or Lowes, they won't have it. Log Home Store does sell this model.

Regarding Harbor Freight, I only buy occasional-use stuff there, i.e. battery cables, tool sets for the trailers, etc.

Without trying to sound like a know-it-all, if you are going to get/use these type of tools, get the EXACT ones I've mentioned. Unless there is something new out there, these not only work the best, but are the safest, for various reasons. Hope this helps,

I bought a couple of chinese cheapie 7" variable polishers. I have used the heck out of both of them with an osborne brush, and haven't had any problem out of either one. We buffed a log home for 3 straight days once and they still operate smooth.

Vandiesel,

What the biggest difference is, is the wrap-around handle. It makes high work MUCH safer, and reduces operator fatigue. One of the cheapy's is fine if only using periodically; but if you use them a lot, before long, the buffer will get away from you. Hands down, the Makita tools are the SAFEST, for what we all use them for.

Hey I've got one of those as part of this package.

Package C $1725

1 Water Canon Belt Drive Cold Water Machine. 13 H.P. Honda Motor with 4000 PSI General Pump

1 75 Foot Garden Hose

1 50 Foot Pressure Hose

1 Graco 395 Airless Sprayer with 50 foot Hose

2 Pump Up Sprayers

1 16 inch Whisper Wash Surface Cleaner

1 Makita 9227C Variable Speed Buffer/Grinder with Attachment & Defurring & Sanding Pads

2 Dewalt Palm Sanders

Assorted Fittings, Tips, & Adapters for hoses & guns

1 Chemical Injecter

1 Pressure Gauge

1 Gutter Brush & Extension Pole

1 Hazmat & combustibles trash can

Dan,

If you get the Makita 9227C buffer, make sure to pickup an extra powercord at a hardware store. The tool can get away from you on flat horizontal surfaces if you are not paying real close attention. And if you use the lock button be careful.

The spinning disk tends to cut powercords in an instant.

Ray,

Hey I've got one of those as part of this package.

Package C $1725

Sorry to see you are getting out of the business. We met a few years ago at Tom Vogel's house. If you recall, we were sitting on his deck shooting the breeze. I was the one with the Heineken refreshments.

Best of luck on your future endeavors.

Vandiesel,

....now I'm interested! Where/what did you find that has a wraparound handle?? I'd definitely explore other brands, just haven't found any with that feature, thanks,

Thanks Rick. Yes I remember that meeting along with the interesting lesson on how to clean out the line of a deckster.

Hey that reminds me. Whats it worth to you to NOT have me post that picture?

Ray,

Oh yeah, Tom will never let me forget. He use to have an 8 x 10 hanging over his desk! Still using the same technique, it works...

Don't know if you've been down to ACR recently. The Vogels now have an 8000 sq. ft. showroom and warehouse. Very impressive.

Maybe I can purchase your license # temporarily. Corzine & company have taken my money and paperwork on a long ride into the black hole of state gov't. Not that customers will know or care and I expect enforcement to be nil.

Good luck!