Sign in to follow this  
gumbo2000

Pool Deck Cleaning

Question

I have a question regarding pressure washing a pool deck that I'm hoping you all can help me with. I'm in Florida and about once or twice a year I pressure wash my pool deck. I believe the material is called "Cool Create" or "Cool Deck" and I'm trying to get rid of a layer of what I am assuming is mildew.

After pressure washing with my bottom-of-the-line, Home Depot, gas powered pressure washer and allowing the deck to dry it looks almost like new. However, before it dries and when it gets wet again there is a hard to describe gray film (for lack of a better term) on the deck. Additional washing doesn't seem to get rid of it and like I said once it dries it looks great. The first time I did it, I thought I had washed the color out of the decking since it had a concrete color but it dried just fine.

The gray is very hard to describe. It's not exactly a film since it doesn't sit on the top. I am guessing...it is mildew that is stuck in the nooks and crannies but the gray color throws me off.

Is the gray mold or mildew that I'm not getting off with water alone or something else? I have never tried using bleach or any other cleaners or chemicals. I guess I am slightly paranoid of killing off my landscaping that surrounds the pool cage so I've stuck to just water. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've read thru a lot of the postings here and it seems a mixture of water, bleach, and some kind of detergent...sprayed on and allowed to sit is the way to go.

Also, I also get green mold and/or mildew on my pool cage. Any suggestions for keeping that clean longer? Again...I'm willing to dry out a bleach mixture but leery of spraying it since I have a lot of landscaping just outside the pool cage.

Thanks in advance for your help!

6 answers to this question

Next time you go out to clean, wet all surrounding vegetation very well. This will preempt any types of detergents from being absorbed by the plant life. You definitely need to knock down those mold spores and bleach is the most effective chemical for doing it. Try a 50/50 dilution with water and spraying that directly onto the surface with a garden sprayer. Let it sit for about 20 minutes. During your chemical dwell time, re-rinse your vegetation generously. After dwell, re-wash. Your problem should be eliminated.

Hot water is your best hedge against getting the mold off without bleach but that is not an option for you with that machine.

That material is an overlay, depending on the climate and sun exposure it should be resealed every 2-5 years. It sounds like you've cleaned it now it needs a good sealer, with these types of systems how they look wet is usually the same as they will look sealed. You will be suprised at how that haze will disappear. Try a sample spot first!

I have a question regarding pressure washing a pool deck that I'm hoping you all can help me with. I'm in Florida and about once or twice a year I pressure wash my pool deck. I believe the material is called "Cool Create" or "Cool Deck" and I'm trying to get rid of a layer of what I am assuming is mildew.

After pressure washing with my bottom-of-the-line, Home Depot, gas powered pressure washer and allowing the deck to dry it looks almost like new. However, before it dries and when it gets wet again there is a hard to describe gray film (for lack of a better term) on the deck. Additional washing doesn't seem to get rid of it and like I said once it dries it looks great. The first time I did it, I thought I had washed the color out of the decking since it had a concrete color but it dried just fine.

The gray is very hard to describe. It's not exactly a film since it doesn't sit on the top. I am guessing...it is mildew that is stuck in the nooks and crannies but the gray color throws me off.

Is the gray mold or mildew that I'm not getting off with water alone or something else? I have never tried using bleach or any other cleaners or chemicals. I guess I am slightly paranoid of killing off my landscaping that surrounds the pool cage so I've stuck to just water. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've read thru a lot of the postings here and it seems a mixture of water, bleach, and some kind of detergent...sprayed on and allowed to sit is the way to go.

Also, I also get green mold and/or mildew on my pool cage. Any suggestions for keeping that clean longer? Again...I'm willing to dry out a bleach mixture but leery of spraying it since I have a lot of landscaping just outside the pool cage.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I clean with 12.5% and let dry and seal with blockade

Gumbo,

Are you a contractor or homeowner? Why dont you give me a call and Ill take a look at it. See if I can give any advice. Ill be in St pete, near pasadena 1st thing tomorow. Call me at 432-2501 btwn 7:30 and 8.

Thank you all for your kind responses and great information.

I was hoping to get home in time to get a photo taken but it got dark too early. Hopefully tomorrow!

Jon...I am a homeowner and actually live over in the Ruskin area. When I signed up on the forum, I used my work address. That's why I have the St. Pete information.

Thanks again everyone!