Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Behr Stain Remover vs. F-18 MAX ?

Question

Hi Guys,

So I used some of the BEHR QUICK FIX STAIN REMOVER ( I know, the random home depot stuff), well I used it today to remove a failing finish on a redwood deck here in California before I pressure washed. I wasn't too thrilled with this stuff, had to hit the deck hard with the PW and it left all kinds of blotchy-ness on the deckboards.

So, I desperateley need some advice on what stain remover / stripper is the most effective and also cost effective to use when it comes to lifting a failing finish on a deck before PW work.

I'd love to hear any of your great ideas, and, if you have any experience with this stuff F-18 max. Does anyone know where I can find it? Is it good stuff?

Thanks! Im really trying to learn as much as I can before I do my next deck job...

4 answers to this question

Behr is absolute junk. I got in a pinch and had to use it and had the same results as you. HD-80 is a product made by Extreme Solutions. You can get it at www.sunbritesupply.com . It was developed exclusively for the removal of finishes. You will need to use a pH balancing brightener after a stripper. I have switched to Citralicâ„¢ this year. It is less harsh on the wood and person.

The best part is, even with shipping you'll pay about $3 per gallon at it's strongest strength. Most times you can use it at half. $1.50 per gallonis a helluva lot better than $12 per gallon for the Home Depot crap.

Fireandrain,

Ken is right on the money. Not only will professional products work better, the cost savings are substantial. Make sure to neutralize/brighten with an acid wash.

I'd love to hear any of your great ideas, and, if you have any experience with this stuff F-18 max. Does anyone know where I can find it? Is it good stuff?

I have used F-18 and F-18 Max strippers the past two years. It seems to have the advantages of staying wet longer and seems less harsh, with less fuzzies, on woods like cedar.

F-18 Max can be purchased from Pressure Tek. Give Bob Williamson a call at 888-898-0908. Be prepared to talk as Bob loves to converse. The company's web site is www.pressuretek.com

Fireanddrain,

Welcome to the boards. I am right down the street from you in Solano County (Between S.F. and Sacramento). Both products mentioned above will outdue any Behr product on the market.

Thanks guys, I figured you might say that! Trying to decide between f18 and hd80, suppose the results should be similar. And Ken, thanks for the cost saving breakdown, that made things a little clearer for me! Seems to make LOADS of sense! ;) I have heard much indeed about citralic from sunbrite. I think ill try this stuff first.

I hear with the right dilution, you can pretty much downstream a product like hd80 on a deck, let dwell for appx. 1/2 hr., then simply rinse the deck off( NOT hit it with too much high pressure ). Then spray a brightener/neutr.

Stupid question, but is this true?

I usually spend hours on decks, two passes per. deckboard ( 3" band from a 40 deg tip) but thats without any chemicals... Im crazy,right?

Thanks!