Sign in to follow this  
Joel Hawley

How many GPM's do you really need

The machine I have now is 2500 PSI 3.5 GPM 16 HP hot/cold unit trailer mounted with a 275 GAL tank. I plan on starting out doing flat work, and residential. I will be a one man operation for the time being.

Would it be worth my money to upgrade my machine to A 5+GPM at this point? What would it run to do so? $300-$400 for a pump

To date I have the equip mentioned above plus my surface cleaner came in the other day and I am going to get an x-jet from Steve this week. The money tree has just about been picked clean. Will it make me enough in return to upgrade it now or do you think I can get by one season with the 3.5 GPM and change out to a 5+GPM in the off season?

Rod says...

CAT PUMP

Can't go wrong with a CAT pump.

Choose the pump that goes with your machines capability. But Rod says you may have to upgrade the engine and pump because the pump has to conform to the machines capabilities.

BUT.... you can easily get by with what you have this summer. Heck, yeara one we had we had a refurbished (stop laughing) 2.5 GPM (stop laughing) 2500 PSI (please stop laughing) machine.

Worked like a mule. Is it a Honda engine?

Beth

time is money.

More GPM = speed

speed get's better money per hour.

If i have equipment that can do a job in 3 hrs and it takes you 5

i will be cheaper and/or do a better job.

You have a 16 hp engine hooked to a tiny pump.

Is it belt drive?

You can get a 5.5 gpm pump for $280[ts2021] belt drive.

I know everyone needs a starting point.

Do you know where that starting point should be?

A min of a $5000 budget,plus your truck.

Anything less, your playing games.

This is my opinion and i started with a home depot wash unit.

I it just damn hard.

Every time i wash, i think to myself "why did i put myself through that?"

Hot water open's doors you'll never open without it.

Next time you work on your car just use cold water to wash up with. Even try doing the dish's with cold water.

The diffrence between 3.5 gal per min and 5.5 gpm is the same as you being a house framer and i give you a 6 oz hammer and i use a 16 oz hammer.

We both will get the job done but i wont be their when your done. I'll be home. Add hot water and it's like having a pnumatic nail gun.

I will say that "if" you just did wood the diffrence would'nt be as much., but it would still be a lot.

Lastly "why 5.5 gal, not more?" because most spigots cant supply any more then 5.5 gpm and a lot cant do that. So you need to bring water.

that has it's own problems. like weight,availibilty,and cost.

Sooooo meny good used rigs for sale right now.

ron when I started 4 yrs ago I knew nothing I was as green as they come. Like many I never even thought about the internet until after I started. I used the 2.5 gpm machine for 4 months until I bought the 4 gpm machine and paid cash for it. I do mostly residental work so it works for me. As soon as I am able to pay cash for a bigger unit I will buy one. This is how I have kept my overhead down low even though I know Time is money but I am not in debt. All my equipment and truck are paid for the only business thing I have a note on is my sweeper truck which I bought last yr I financed it for 3 yrs and it will be paid for here is a picture of it. My idea in business is you make money when your not paying it out to everyone else. I know this way is not for everyone and thats okay I am not them.

i too am like you buy after looking back and seeing how much time a wasted,how discourged i got,and knew then what i know now. I never would have done it that way.

That is the point of this bbs. To help others from making the same mistakes.

You cant go into a truck yard with your s10 and home depot wash unit and have them take you seriously. They might hire you to use you up and spit you out but you wont make money.

In the next 4 week's your going to get everyone and their brother looking for the "get rich" with a pressure washer.

If they made it this far, they can get the strongest and most dangerous chems available.

It's no joke. Im glad i dont sell them.

People kill their kids everyday by giving them over the counter cold medicine.[accidental OD]

If i were BETH i would have a special safety section that you had to sign off on before i shipped one oz of HD80.

Just so i could sleep at night.

Joel if you were asked to build a house would you take a hand saw or a circular saw? Yes you could do it with either but why would you?

A fricken comm. lawn mower cost $3500

you cut 10 lawns a day

A home depot push mower you cut 2 a day

It takes money to make money.

Well I guess in a perfect world I would be able to start out with the biggest, the best, and the fastest equip but unfortunatley I am not in that position. Like Morgan I also am on a cash and carry basis with my equip. Here is what I have to work with now. Excuse the pics, I just went and snapped them earlier and the garage is a mess I have two houses in one right now with two trailers in my basement taking up all the space. Though I may still give this whole GPM thing some more thought

397882dirtmagician001.jpg

397889dirtmagician003.jpg

397883dirtmagician004.jpg

Ron, I think we all agree if we could have done it another way we would have, but I don't think any of us got into this with a silver spoon in our mouths.

When I bought that refurbished (used) machine I did it online at an auction, then turned around and bought two more used, and put them up for sale on another site where prices were higher. Guess what? It paid for the first machine. So now we have a machine and we can crank it out. We focused on small residential decks, learned alot. Started getting bigger jobs.

No truck.

We had a Nissan Sentra, and the machine went IN THE TRUNK. (you're laughing again) :) Ladders were tied to the roof, sealer in the back seat. No kidding.

By year two we had a truck, and a MUCH better machine. Kept the other one.....still have it. It goes out on little townhouse jobs with one of our summer crews.

Planing is an important part of getting where you are going. Life isn't easy no matter what, but working smart makes it easier.

If you are starting out and one of you has a job, keep it if it will support you, then if you can let the other one jump in. Put all the money back into the biz, and keep a list of prioriries for things you need. When you feel you are better equipped, PAY YOU.

Then, raise your prices... and join the crowd.

Beth

:cool:

I'm in the same boat...The money tree keeps getting picked clean faster than expected...I was lucky enough to have a family member front me the cash for my trailer and machine, but were it not for that, I'd have a HD 3600 PSI 4gpm machine sitting in the back of my 4 cylindar nissan pickup right now. I'm still having to scrape together cash to get chemicals, equipment, etc. Sure, there are things I could buy that would make me more efficient, but if the cash just isn't there, it isn't there. Some things can wait, others can't.

Mike, are you getting a deposit for the work you take on? That helps alot in residential. State laws vary about how much you can ask for up front, but I know it can help make purchasing suppies easier. It did for us.

Beth:cool:

well you got hot water-that's a big plus.

Your rig is perfect for 90% of homeowner type work and some comm.

RIGHT NOW YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING.

Did you make the phone book?

You have all the right toy's[surface cleaner,x-jet,ect..]

That is where we differ.

I did'nt have any toy's the first year just the skid.

Sold my small unit just to pay the shipping on the skid.

Joel did you get the close range tip for the x-jet?

If you are starting out and one of you has a job, keep it if it will support you

That is one place where I am quite lucky. Having a wife who is 2 semester hours short of being able to sit for the CPA isn't hurting matters at all. She already has a 4 year degree with a major in accounting and a minor in ethics so hopefully she will be able to carry the non-business load on her shoulders for the first year or two.

Ron P

No I have not invested the quarter in advertising yet with the exception of the logo I had Beth do. I am in the process of moving. I live in Nashville now and still have a 60+ hour a week job as A finance MGR at at A Ford Dealership. Once we get to Maryland (Frostburg) in late May Early June is when I am going to be starting my business. Right now I am just trying to get my equipment straight so I can hit the ground running and have most of the logistic figured out.

I am not going into this with rose colored glasses, I know it will be hard to get started and I will probably lose money before I make any and i will make mistakes, its how you learn.

I used to be a brick and block commercial/residential Mason by trade and the first two jobs I ever got subbed to me on my own were brick work on small additions. I got up early Saturday morning fired up and ready to go. Went to the first job knocked it out in 6 hours, had me one other mason and a laborer. Went to the next job and had to use the headlights on the truck to finish but left feeling proud of myself, I made good money and had feeling of self accomplishment. Until the next morning when both home owners called me within 30 minutes of each other. I got the delivery mixed up and had the wrong colored mortar sent to each house. They were within 4 or 5 shades of each other but I was so excited about working for myself I didn't check. Had to tear both walls down salvage as much brick as i could from each job buy new brick for what I couldn't salvage, and do both jobs over again.

My first venture as A self employed man cost me a little over $3000 when it was all said and done. But those mistakes made me $1000's over the next few years. My time as a Mason is also what got me into the pressure washing business for a couple of years back in the early 90's till one thing led to another and 9 years ago I landed behind this god awful desk job. Been wanting to get back out in the field ever since.

Ouch!! To learn by that mistake must of really hurt! But it sounds like you realy recovered from it and learn a ton from it also.

Good Luck In the Powerwashing field. There's Plenty of Money out there to be earned. Good Work ethics along with good Advertising will go along way in this and any other business.

The Beauty of Powerwashing is watching the machine do the work for you(Even though your arms at times feel like they want to fall off:) )

The use of the Proper Chemicals along with the PWer is the key in this Industry and If your Handy with a good head on your shoulders your work should stand out when completed. As long as you have the Knowledge as to what to do. IF you don't of course come here and we can try to work your problems out together.

Good Luck

Joel,

When you can I would switch to a higher gpm pump. Will make the job easier and will let that new surface cleaner really work.

I would suggest buying a repair manual. The Steam Cleaner and Pressure Washer repair manual-$40.00. You sound like you are handy enough to repair your own stuff. The savings can be tremendous.

You may also want to buy spare parts at this time. An unloader, o-rings, nozzles to reduce pressure ect.

Get some good boots, advil, tylenol, walkman, earmuffs ect.

Save All related sales receipts for tax time.

Good Luck!

Joel,

Guess I missed this post a little while back. One thing to check out before you switch that pump. What is the rating on the burner you have?

Upgrading to a bigger pump is a good idea, but if the burner that you have is not big enough, then you will have 5.5 gpm of warm water, rather than 3.5 of hot.

One Tough,

Couldn't Joel do some simple things to compensate for a larger h.p. pump?

You know like changing to a larger fuel nozzle, larger blower fan , ect.?

Of course his unit mfg. would be the first place to check before considering any changes.

That may very well be possible, but to what extent I do not know. I am not a burner expert, but they are rated for a specific amount of water.

Larger nozzles and blowers may end up reducing the life of the coil, and they are not cheap to replace. I am not sure what the cost of nozzles and blowers , plus the labor to have it installed and calibrated are.

I just wanted him to check on the burner before he spends a good chunk of money for a new pump and then finds out that he no longer has hot water and has to spend even more to fix it.

One Tough Pressure,

You made a very valid point. Joel or anyone else should checkwith the mfg. first. The limiting factor would be the size and amount of pancakes the burner has.

A new fuel nozzle is about $4.00, blower wheel is about $14.00.

Adusting fuel pressure up is easily done with a screw driver but, you need to have a fuel pressure gauge installed $6.00-20.00. A temp. gauge would also be helpful. They run around $20.00-25.00 for a good one.

An air band adjustment will more than likely need to follow. That adjustment can take a little more time.

None of these items should shorten the burner life providing it is is large enough. At least that is according to Wayne Burners Technical engineer.

None of what I have mentioned is very difficult to do. You need to have a good working knowledge of the burner though before making any adjustments.

Or if you prefer a few hours labor and parts at a sevice center.

Thank You, Thank You Thank You, I never even considered what effect more GPM's would have on the burner.

I shudder to think how much $$ I would have wasted if I hadn't have found these BB's. Kind of makes me feel bad for the old timers whou had nothing but trial and error to figure it out.

from what i can see you have enough to hit the ground running you have enough on your plate what with you moving and the wife looking for a job after her exams.....you know where your market is with what you have got now, go and corner it and this time next year you will be able to post "i started with one of those machines and if i'd known........":)