Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Surface Cleaners: Hover Type OR Wheeled Type?

Question

Hi guys,

Struggling with my decision about buying a surface cleaner.

Should I invest in the less expensive hover-style ( e.g. 24" whirl-away) or pony up the money for a wheeled unit (e.g. 24" steel eagle)?

I have a 3750PSI cold unit @ 4GPM. Maybe that will factor in on size of surface cleaner? Most effecient size surface cleaner for my machine...

I'd love for you pros to weigh in on this quandry! Wheeled or hover? What are your preferences? Is the wheeled type any eaasier to manuveur? Best manufacture? Steel Eagle?

I really want to make the most informed decision here, so your professional advice is MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks Again Guys!

7 answers to this question

I use a 20" Whirlaway with a "little" (to you guys, anyway :)) 4GPM machine for residential and it works great. I rented a 24" Steel Eagle for one job and had to move painfully slow to clean with it. Striping was a big problem.

I can clean at a comfortable pace with the Whirlaway without lines and stripes and I feel that it's easier to maneuver in tight places.

Hi guys,

Struggling with my decision about buying a surface cleaner.

Should I invest in the less expensive hover-style ( e.g. 24" whirl-away) or pony up the money for a wheeled unit (e.g. 24" steel eagle)?

I have a 3750PSI cold unit @ 4GPM. Maybe that will factor in on size of surface cleaner? Most effecient size surface cleaner for my machine...

I'd love for you pros to weigh in on this quandry! Wheeled or hover? What are your preferences? Is the wheeled type any eaasier to manuveur? Best manufacture? Steel Eagle?

I really want to make the most informed decision here, so your professional advice is MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks Again Guys!

Your machine should do fine with a 24" machine, and I have run a 28" Whisperwash big guy on a similar machine with good results.

My preference is Whisperwash. Equal or better quality to the Steel Eagle, easier to maintain, cheaper parts, spray arms don't bend like they can easily do on a Steel Eagle if you catch a curb/rock etc, and lighter and easier to lift/maneuver. I had a 24" steel eagle and liked it. Then I got a 28" Whisperwash Big Guy, and I LOVE it. I sold the Steel Eagle.

The wheeled units are much easier to maneuver and use...basically just pushing it along. The hover type will take a bit more effort, but once you get used to them, they're ok. I do not like the type with 4 casters.

I agree with all of Mike W post. I used the Big Guy with a 4gpm machine for a couple years. My 19" Classic hoover I hardly ever use because I dont like hoovers, one of my guys likes it a lot and uses it often

JL

I agree with all of Mike W post. I used the Big Guy with a 4gpm machine for a couple years. My 19" Classic hoover I hardly ever use because I dont like hoovers, one of my guys likes it a lot and uses it often

JL

A hover is good for one thing, if you have a lot of concrete to do, it'll give you a nice upper body workout!!