Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

How to Best Apply Caustic Strippers? Shurflo or Downstream?

Question

As most of you know by now, im fairly new to the use of caustic strippers. It was me who posted the F-18 vs. Hd-80 poll, so thanks for all of your brilliant input! MUCH appreciated guys!

So know Im faced with the question as to how to best apply this hot stuff!

I did one deck last week using a cheap 2gal pump sprayer and it took FOREVER to get the stuff on the deck. Was far from pleased with the results.

So... I bought a shurflo 4gal batt. op'd BACKPACK SPRAYER and it arrived yesterday! I figured i would be using it for applying deck cleaner, seals/stains, but am still vexed as to if i can use it for spraying on strippers like f-18 max?

Not good to have caustics in a backpack sprayer? I would be careful to make sure the lid was tight and the unit rinsed off throughouly after filling it up with the stripper, but is this safe enough procedure? Seems like a really effecient way to get the stuff on my decks?

Any opinion on the subject guys? As always, I'd really appreciate your input on this one as I have 5 decks to strip later in the week...

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Matt

10 answers to this question

Backpacks are faster and they leak. No matter how tight you think they are. You get stripper down your back and then continue working you can count on second or third degree burns. They are faster but still not comparable to using a powered pump. I have a special downstreamer I use exclusively for stripper. Also you should use SS couplers. Change O rings often.

If you decide to go with a backpack, wear a PVC shaw or raincoat.

I wish there was a section on this site that had pictures and video of the different mechanical systems people use to apply chemicals with. Everytime I see people talk about Shurflo systems, all I think of is these pumps with no idea as to how to put together a 'system' to make use of these pumps. Maybe a section with photos and a description of where people bought their parts and how they put it together. As to downstreaming - all I can think of is that port on my pressure washer, where I think I could do some serious internal damage if I put caustic strippers through it - I'd rather just save my pressure washer for just water. That's why I just have a 5 gallon bucket, put my chemicals in it - and then I - swab the decks - with my deck scrubber.

-Dan

I'm with Ken i don't want no damm caustics running down my back or bleach for that case.I have enough bleach on me any way "Clean White Boy: :cool:

I'll use a shurflo mostly and xjet now recently

I pumped for a long time, then made my own shurflo cart setup. It worked ok and I was actually very pleased with it until I bought a Deckster. One of the best purchases I have made for my business. I'll never pump or home engineer again. Not that you can't home engineer a proper unit, it's just that by the time you get all the parts together, I've saved maybe $200. And considering the time involved in gathering and assembling the parts, $200 is a cheap investment.

We use both pump-up's and a decker sprayer depending upon the size of the job. Most large jobs get the decker, the smaller ones may only see the pump up.

The decker has a Pumptec 2gpm 250psi plunger pump with an 15amp motor.

Just order two new pumps with epoxy coating to protect the manifolds inner channels.

Rod!~

I pumped for a long time, then made my own shurflo cart setup.

I saw a homemade cart setup for cleaning roofs somewhere. It was a dolly with a battery, pump, and a 15 gallon tank.

Was that yours?

for wood work I built a cart sprayer with a shurflo, battery and all the goodies, I wired a marine switch (waterproof) into the electrical system, poly sprayer for chems and an adjustable gun for sealer from sunbrite......works great.

also have another sprayer, which I bought used from a former woodie in IL, which has a poly tank, maybe 15-20 gallon, which is plumbed to another shurflo...... I have yet to use it, but I changed the plumbing around so I can now QC from the tank and drop a feed hose into a fiver and bypass the tank. I dont really know what to use it for, (the price was too darn good to pass it up) except as a backup as my main shurflo blew a switch in it last year and I was stuck for a day or 2.... I guess I could mix up a huge batch of oxalic, but I dont want it on the trailer all the time in case of a mishap....rather the powder if that happens than 15 gallons already mixed....... that would be ugly

Before I knew the dangers of caustics, I had an incident using a backpack sprayer that should have had me in the ER. Real bad burns. Fortunately, my wife is an RN, so I had the best of care. (I wonder though if she secretly enjoyed the dressing changes!)

I still use a backpack, but if there is a leak, I wipe it down asap with either oxalic or vinegar (which is also useful for muffler burns).