Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

How to

I never have done awnings and always stayed away from them. But today I looked at 2 jobs and the awnings are filthy many green mold & mildew.

I have to have these bids in soon, whats involved and whats a good way to do them & how much $$$. Both are the same material as far as I could tell, ones 110 ft average awning with at a golf course and the other is 24 ft

They are the green cloth fabric and water beads up and rolls off. Do you use a bleach mix, brush & rinse Theres some thick mold in places

Any help thanks

JL

These awnings can be cleaned with a scrub brush & low pressure rinse, not the easiest thing to clean, more time consuming than you are used to. Do a test spot, use a little bit of chlorine in your mix with palmolive soap (thats what Sunbrella recomends). Sell them hard on resealing the fabric, as most of the sealer will be removed after washing. I can't think of the name of the sealer that I use, right now, but I will get back to you on it.

These awnings can be cleaned with a scrub brush & low pressure rinse, not the easiest thing to clean, more time consuming than you are used to. Do a test spot, use a little bit of chlorine in your mix with palmolive soap (thats what Sunbrella recomends). Sell them hard on resealing the fabric, as most of the sealer will be removed after washing. I can't think of the name of the sealer that I use, right now, but I will get back to you on it.

Ya I'm not a big fan of detailed work, I'm more of a production kind of guy. Get in there gangbang it, get it done and get out. But there is a ton of awnings around here so instead of trying to pass this kind of work up, I want to learn how to do it. The ones I mentioned have quite a build up of mold streaking down them

The mix how much bleach 12% andhow much palmolive to a 5

I also was told Rowletts citra clean & a little bleach will work

Thanks

JL

I have cleaned alot of awnings using less bleach than a housewash mix with more soap. Dwell long enough to see an effect start then rinse with close range. lots of different finishes for awnings. Too much bleach can weaken fabric though. Keep that in mind. cover 10-15 ft sections. You will get it in no time. Piece of cake.

Did the awnings yesterday , will post some pics soon. They came out real good, there was mold and pollen on them, a couple small spots the mold was a little thick. Cleaned right up

I used RPC Citraclean a little 12% applied with low pressure Xjet, and a low pressure rinse & rinsed again. Everything came out great

Heck I wont be afraid of doing awnings in the future

Thanks all

JL

Heres pics of the rest of the job we did awnings, building, concrete got to love oxalic. It didnt do to much with the battery stains from the golf carts but it brightened up the rest of the concrete real nice. another happy customer

The building was pretty disgusting. The mold actaully ate away at the coating on some of the columns. You know some of these places they'll let them get just as bad before they have us wash them again. Its a shame if people would just clean things more regularly, they wouldnt have to recoat as often, cleaned up good

JL

oxalic - Never used it, what all is used for?

It works great for removing irrigation rust stains and other types of rust and you can use it for brightening wood after stripping

JL

Good job jeff, as usual. Did you seal the awnings?

No I didnt even look into it, because I wasnt sure how to even clean them

What is sealing them, what kind of product is used and how is it applied

Thanks

JL

Sealing an awning is basically using a product such as 3M Scotchguard. There are different products for vinyl, or fabric. I feel that the best fabric sealer is "303 Products Fabric Guard". Glen Raven Mills, the maker of Sunbrella fabrics, recommends only this product for sealing. It's not cheap, but it is by far the best I have found, & I have tried most of them.

Also have a look at these products

http://www.winsol.com

http://www.awningcleaning.com