Sign in to follow this  
Dan Stapleton

Another xxx Lowballer

Question

I met a guy about a year ago that was working for the lowballinest company in my area. They have alot of commercial accounts and residentials. They use dish soap and chlorine on everything, downstream roofs and blast away, do very poor quality work. You get the picture.

I ran into him about 6 months ago and when he told me he was going into business for himself I tried to give him some pointers about work quality and PRICE, that his employers were not a good representation of either. I spoke to him the other day at our local p.w. shop, he told me he was in the yellow pages ( I knew ), and the local coupon book. When I left I picked up a coupon book out of curiosity. Any house up to 1700 sq. ft. 47.95. No hidden charges. There were other assanine prices I won't go into. When I quizzed him on what chems he is using, get this- 2 gallons of chlorine to 23 gallons of water and dawn. Downstreamed. Needless to say, he is wailing away with the pressure. We use the same chlorine supplier and when I was there today was told he is buying 25-30 2-1/2's a week.

It is pretty hard for this not to affect me. No matter how much you try to educate the customer his prices are out there and he is getting work. I guess in the long haul he'll burn out or wake up but in the meantime it is frustrating to say the least. My wife talked me out of calling him and telling him he is an idiot. Sorry for the long post. Anybody have any suggestions?

15 answers to this question

Push your flatwork if he is only doing houses.

Push a wax treatment to upsell with your house washes.

Bypass his individual sales by addressing Home Owners Assoc. who enforce cleanliness by-laws, and offer your discounts on bulk cleanings. get into the H.O.A.'s newsletters with ads for bulk cleanings.

Push fleetwashes. Go to your local private airfields and offer plane and helicopter and hanger washes. Push your service at every diner you eat at, Red Lobster, Wendy's, Dairy Queen, Waffle house.

There are alot more services you can offer other than house washes.

Dumpster cleaning ( I love shooting the rats). Clubs, swimming pools, decks, awnings. No one can stay afloat for long offering 50.00 house washes. It's only a matter. Know your enemies and keep them close.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Yes. Develop your sales abilities. Take seminars on closing a sale and how to market your business effectively. Target people whom choose quality work over price. Build your reputation one job at a time. Be the highest level proffesional. Get logo'd gear. Be on time. Build your knowlege and prepare a presentation based upon key terms.

The list goes on and on. What you can't do is sit home and worry about what the next bonehead is out there doing. If you do, you soon will drop your pants on price and you will be yet another set of bones in a field of pressure washing business failure.

$47.95 he wont be around to long, thats crazy

You just have to do the sales thing, personality & knowledge will help you get the work and of course quality work & on time service whether its beng on time for an estimate or doing the job on time

Try to stay away from the area he's pushing 1700 & under go for the more highend and concentrate your sales in those areas

And if any homeowner says he can get it done for $47 tell themm the guys a hack and will blow their house apart. I usually dont speak about my competition , but this guy I wouldnt have a problem explaining that he is a hack

JL

And if any homeowner says he can get it done for $47 tell themm the guys a hack and will blow their house apart. I usually dont speak about my competition , but this guy I wouldnt have a problem explaining that he is a hack

Me either. But I have found that laying out the operational costs per job is very effective in this situation. Once they see that just showing up with proper chems/ins/etc costs more than $50, it is painfully obvious that since the lowballer is not doing this for free they MUST be cutting corners on the product.

Bringin it back up. Was talking to a hoa prez. yesterday. Nice subdivision on a lake. Houses avg around 2500 sq. ft. After explaining my process,materials, attention to detail, experience etc. He asked me my price, when I told him and it was reasonable, he said: See that guy on that mower down there? He does it for 40-45 dollars. You might price yourself out. I wanted to break into a full sprint and tackle the dude off of his mower! The Homeowner/prez said that HE knows that you get what you pay for and that he would never have him do his house. Man, there down here in droves.

I am in the process of creating a cover letter/business statement that I can give to customers as I look over the property(I know, I should already have one) that explains my company's professional practices being careful not to bash. Just inform. I've got some good info gathered but anyone that has something similiar already done would be welcome via e-mail or mail and not copied. Thanks in advance.

Dan Stapleton

All Clean Pro Wash

Tavares Fl.

352-343-2811

Yes. Develop your sales abilities. Take seminars on closing a sale and how to market your business effectively. Target people whom choose quality work over price. Build your reputation one job at a time. Be the highest level proffesional. Get logo'd gear. Be on time. Build your knowlege and prepare a presentation based upon key terms.

The list goes on and on. What you can't do is sit home and worry about what the next bonehead is out there doing. If you do, you soon will drop your pants on price and you will be yet another set of bones in a field of pressure washing business failure.

I'm pretty good at selling myself most of the time. There is room for improvement for sure. I am really working on the marketing end. Good point on whom to target. My reputation is good, just need more people to know it. My first 5-6 years were part-time and the last 5 have been full-time but I have always slowed down in the summer months so I am working on a new, more intense marketing campaign.

No way will I drop my pants on price and visit that cemetary......God willing.

Dan Stapleton

All Clean Pro Wash

Tavares, Fl

352-343-2811

Why don't you just hire the guy and pay him $45 while you collect the rest of your charge?

Celeste

#1 He has a lawn business.#2 I wouldn't want to re-train him. #3 Anybody doing housewashes for that price (no matter how they do it) aint too bright.

Dan Stapleton

All Clean Pro Wash

Tavares, Fl

352-343-2811

No problemo Ken, hope it's helpful.

Check my latest rant on lowballers in the clubhouse. Sure would like to see some of your presentation material etc.icon10.gif

Dan, you rantin' SOB. I'm laughing over here.

Thanks Ken,

I was actually joking but there WAS an underlying current of complaining. I just read stainless' thread about being blessed and we all are (in the USA)myself included.....Bigtime. Thankyou to all for the great info on this board. I have learned so much and the learning never stops! God Bless.

Dan Stapleton

All Clean Pro Wash

Tavares Fl

352-343-2811