Sign in to follow this  
Tim UK

Oil and/or stain?

Question

Not looking for long-winded explications to this, but I have been reading about oils and stains, and was wondering if you have any general rules about their use.

My main area of interest is garden furniture, and I am aware of teak oil, but have just been reading about tung oil, and Danish oil, for example, and know of various stains.

Oil on garden furniture or stains? Or both? Is that possible?

Thanks,

Tim

4 answers to this question

Tim,

You should use stains formulated for exterior wood. Many of these stains are oil based, which is why you may read "oil" on some of the threads. I am guilty of that.

Tung, danish, linseed, and other "pure" oils are OK for interior wood but are missing two key ingredients for exterior use. The first is pigments. Whether clay, iron oxide, or other material, pigments help protect outdoor wood from damage and premature graying from ultraviolet sunlight.

The second and most important ingredient, especially in your climate, is mildewcides. Any decent exterior oil stain will contain this compound to discourage mold and mildew growth on and into the wood. Most straight oils such as tung and linseed are a food source for mold and mildew. This is why outdoor wood will shortly turn black if some of these oils are used. The oil itself has not failed in anyway, the pure oil is just a veritable banquet for every mold and mildew spore in the area.

Tim,

No more pictures. I do not need encouragement (as I sip a frosted mug of Heineken!). What is that beer? Great amber color. If I ever get to the UK, I'm looking you up. We have some shared vices. Only way to live.

If you are going to be working with exterior wood, and have a real interest in craftsmanship, stick around this site. All posters may not necessarily agree, but there is some very tried and true expertise to be found.