Sign in to follow this  
Tim UK

Sodium percarbonate

Question

Having read fairly deeply the back posts on TGS about sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydrochloride (lye) and sodium percarbonate, my interest has been well and truly whetted.

I am interested in carrying out some tests of my own with these things, and I am lucky that I have a few window cleaning customers who have small sections of rather well worn fences and gates that they will let me practice on.

Lucky me!

I have hyochlorite and hydrochloride (that's lye, right?), already, but I have no idea how to get hold of sodium percarbonate. I think I read Ken say that he sourced it in a powdered laundry cleaning form. Is this correct?

I am not planning on using these fences, small (like 12' at the MOST) across with the pressure washer, UNLESS it is thought absolutely necessary. I am thinking of ordinary hose water/pressure, after the application of the chems.

Thoughts?

Tim

ps, the fences I am talking about have really just about had it, but I think would be good test areas.

12 answers to this question

Tim,

Use that new lambswool machine instead of your pressure washer!

Seriously, you may want to agitate any chems with a brush while they are on the wood to simulate a pressure washer, and then rinse well with a hose.

Here is a link with more info about sodium percarbonate.

http://www.chemistrystore.com/sodium_percarbonate.htm

I have purchased "percarb" from this company and get all my citric acid from them but doubt that they will ship overseas. You may want to telephone some local chemical supply companys in your area if available.

Some exterior wood cleaners are sodium percarbonate based. Don't know if you have such products in Great Britain. Oxiclean is another form of sodium percarbonate. Another name used in the States is "Oxygenated bleach".

Good luck!

Cheers, Rick,

I'm till looking for a manufacturer of lambswool machinery, btw. ..... :)

Well, I'm going to look on the back of the washing powder packet in the kitchen, and see if there's anything 'interesting' there I might use.

Tim

ps, sunny and hot here, today, for a change!

Tim,

Sunny and hot is the last thing I think of being synonymous with weather in the British Isles.

You are in the S.E. of the UK? Is London or another large city very far away? There should be chemical suppliers in the country.

Rick,

I'm in the west, 120 miles from London. Distance not a problem here, as where there's a will, there's a way, so shouldn't be a problem getting some of this percarb.

I guess it's just a question of nomenclature - people aren't used to talking 'chemicals', at least not those I speak to! Maybe that says something about them, but, equally, I think it says something about me...

Will find some somehow.

As the climate... too broad to generalise, of course, but yes, many places of the British Isles are grey, miserable and uninviting.

Don't go to those places... nah, just kidding. When the sun shines, and there is a pleasant breeze, it's.... just like anywhere where there's sunshine with a pleasnt breeze!

Yours,

Tim

Tim,

Forward that link I posted. If they can't figure it out from all that information, they should not be in the chemical business!

Americans think of Britain what we see in the movies. London fogs, Irish winds and rain, the spooky, treacharous moors of Scotland, with the heather and peat bogs and always raining.

But hey, you still have Bermuda! Cheers, I'm off for the first pint of the day!

Cheers, I'm off for the first pint of the day!

I'm on my fifth, with pitta bread spread with tomato puree and cumin seeds.

How 'Inglish' is that?!!!

Cheers, and enjoy your pinta!

Tim

Glass%20Rogue%20Seahorse%20Pale%20Ale%20in%20Brit%20pint%20glass.JPG

Tim,

That picture makes me salivate. I love beer, I mean really love beer. Beer is food. You can live on beer, ask my wife. No scratch that, do not ask my wife!

You Brits make some terrific beers, much better than the mass produced, bad tasting American pablum. That picture is now making me thirsty. Off to the fridge for another cold one!

Tim,

I am now just finishing up my fence. I tried everything you listed and more. I made several significant mistakes that required a lot of work to recover from. Almost wore out an Osbourne. Great learning experience. While it is/was a PITA to fix my mistakes, I feel most comfortable when I know the limits of a tool or technique, and how to avoid and recover from problems.

If you approach this as you plan to do jobs, your shortcomings will become evident. If you try the different chems you will learn how they work. I would suggest trying different pressures to see what happens. If you tear something up, fix it.

Consider how you will deliver you service. Start early and put in a full day. Record labor and material usage rates. This will be gold for you.

Now that's a good shot of 'tipsey'! Looks like the one taking the shot maybe was a little... ;)

Gimme a Heineken anyday. (Grolsch is to darned expensive but me lady likes the resealable tops for keeping homemade salad dressings in)

Tim, Have you checked out our FAQ area?

http://forums.thegrimescene.com/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item

This should help.

Rod!~

Rod,

Gimme a Heineken anyday.

I'll second, third, forth, and fifth that, until I can't count anymore! A cold greenie in a frosted mug is a grand elixir of refreshment.