Sign in to follow this  
Larry B

Deck work with some ??'s

Question

Here is a deck I stripped Tuesday and refinished today. The customer wanted a light stain so I used Cabots clear solutions, it has a light pigment and they wanted it to look similar to oak.

I was curious as to the pros order of restaining. Do you spray the rails from the outside, then inside followed by deck floor? I was really concerned about the stain setting up on me and causing overlap marks. I ended up rolling and brushing the rails for the most part and then sprayed and backrolled the floor.

I know this is not the most efficient way to do it. It seems my way was too slow to be profitable.

post-1099-137772156364_thumb.jpg

post-1099-137772156368_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

Larry,

Do you spray the rails from the outside, then inside followed by deck floor?

Yes. That is my normal routine. Never used Cabot's Clear Solutions so I cannot comment on the most efficient way to apply that stain.

One thing for sure. The more you work on wood, the faster and easier it gets.

Looks good, Larry. I follow same routine except I drape one side of the rails with a sheet and put a tarp on floor. Spraying is the only effecient way to apply for the way I do things. Plastic goes up on house in five minutes. An eight foot rail takes 10-15 minutes for both sides, back brushed in properly, two coats.

Ken,

Jumpin Jehosaphats! Two apps of an 8 ft. section of balustrade in 15 minutes? Sheese, I'm a piker. Takes me at least that long to apply a single. Use canvas tarps to prevent overspray on the outside but why the tarp on the deck floor?

I stopped the plastic wrap of the house my first year in business. Don't you cut in 3 boards width by hand?

In the dog days of August, I'll have to pay a visit to Havertown and learn some stuff!

Spray shields and masking helps to limit the overlapping and spotting.

Two man crews can do the job like in your pic above in about 1-1/2 hours.

This includes sanding, nail pops, masking, tarps and cleanup.

Rod!~

Rod,

Two man crews can do the job like in your pic above in about 1-1/2 hours.

Since I'm taking a learning road trip in August to visit Ken (he better send an invite, he owes me!), can I get an invite to Maryland? I'll work (well, kind of work as I take a lot of smoke and oxygen breaks) for free. You, Ken, and others are getting a whole lot more done per hour than I am. They don't teach this stuff in college or on the internet.

Ken,

Yeah, I reverse the heavy canvas tarp on the balustrade as well. If the Pump Tek is cranked a little too high or the wind picks up, it will prevent overspray where it does not belong.

The tarp is for the area underneath the rails. I don't like drip marks.

Well I will not spell it out as you know the answer to that one! Is your invitation in the mail yet?

Rick,

You're welcome to join us, but you might go through withdrawl...no bleach on the truck...unless we are washing a house ;) Sorry couldn't resist. Seriously, would love to have you join us. Give us a call to work out the details when we get closer to August.

Beth

Hey Beth,

Thanks. I usually get a bit slow in August and to be honest, have never been around another woodie doing work. All learning was by this and Greg's old board, along with trial and many an error. Oh, one caveat. I do not wash houses, that would be one very long smoke break.

Speaking of BLEECH!, just got my first 5 gal. container today from a pool supply house. You know my position and practice, sodium hypochlorite only gets used in a conservative mix on RS maintenance. New, untreated, or easily removed old stain gets percarb and the rest sodium hydroxide.

Aside from trying to ban the use of acrylics, my new idea is getting everyone to get rid of oxalic and go with a more healthy acid. Acid is cheap, your health and your workers health are not.