Sign in to follow this  
JEAPAINT

Deckster??

Question

I have been thinking of getting a deckster from Sunbrite. Does anyone use it? How would you rate it? Is it capable of spraying WTW?

I have thought about building my own, but don't really have the time to tinker with something to work out the bugs and get it working properly. I may still go this route to save money.

Doug

28 answers to this question

Doug. I also considered assembling a shurflo sprayer. I was supposed to have called Shane in TX at least ten times. We all know the 'tinkering' time in the shop adds up fast. What it always comes down to for me is just not having the time. My Curb Appeal, Inc. is part time, very part time. Whether it's setting up a new trailer or building a deck sprayer, nights and weekends is when I have the time and before I know it 2 months have passed and then I'm frustrated that I'm not further along.

I purchased my Decker 5'er last month. Out of the box it's ready to make you money. For the same price, I opted for the decker since it has the larger 12v battery box, longer pickup/discharge hoses and is powder coated black. Package came with the adjustable flow gun. WTW straight sprays beautifully. The handle assembly on both the decker and deckster could be beefed up a bit.

I didn't let a few hundred bucks get in the way of having a tool that was designed and proven by many here. I believe this is the second best investment I've made into the company, second only to what has gone towards marketing and brand positioning.

Feel free to get in touch if you have any more questions.

/neil

Neil,

Thanks for the response and info! I've heard of the Decker but can't seem to find any info on it. Where did you get it from?

I like the hurricane brush that you can get with the deckster. Since I work alone and don't have someone to back brush for me, the hurricane brush seems like a good investment to get the sealer on the deck floor without having to put down the sprayer, backbrush, etc.

Time is very tight. I work full time running my business. Between working during the day, going on estimates, figuring the estimates, plus having to do personal things, I'm surprised I get any sleep. Forget about having time to build a sprayer and get it working properly

Doug,

I built a Sureflo pump system. The 1.8 gpm model. It has been very good for applying chems, difficult to use for applying stain on fences. I wouldn't try to do a deck with it.

Here is a quote from Sunbrites website "The Deckster deck sprayer is designed to handle both harsh cleaners and most wood deck sealers (light viscosity)."

WTW is not a "light viscosity" sealer. Would the deckster spray WTW? If not in it's stock configuration, is there an upgrade to make it spray WTW? Where can the Decker 5'er be purchased? I did a search on Gooooogle and nothing came up for it. I am leaning towards the Deckster because it seems to be more readily available.

I'm going to give Sunbrite a call on Monday if I get a chance. If somebody can post a link to a site that sells or has info on the Decker 5'er it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Doug,

Tom and Barbara Vogel of ACR in Easton, Pa. sell the Decker 5'er, the "better" unit that Neil Ashville described on the second post on this thread. They also service just about anything, carry a full line of chems and Ready Seal stain, and have parts and misc. equipment for virtually anything to do with pressure washing. Very nice people to do business with.

I have had mine going on three years and it is the most valuable piece of equipment I own. ACR can be reached at (610) 253-8005 or http://www.acrproducts.com

Thanks Rick,

I'll check them out. I've had their website on my favorites list. I may take a trip over there later this week.

Why do you say the Decker 5'er is the "better" unit?

Doug,

I was referring to Neil Ashville's post ...

For the same price, I opted for the decker since it has the larger 12v battery box, longer pickup/discharge hoses and is powder coated black. Package came with the adjustable flow gun.

This is the unit carried by ACR. With a deep cycle marine battery, you can spray for days before a recharge. The adjustable flow gun is in my opinion necessary for applying stains efficiently. The powder coating on the frame is more durable and the extra hose length useful.

I only use the decker 5'er for stains, it has never pumped anything except Ready Seal. Shurflo setups apply chemicals.

Tom and Barbara Vogel of ACR in Easton, Pa. sell the Decker 5'er, the "better" unit that Neil Ashville described on the second post on this thread.

We also use the Decker 5'er. Great machine. Tom Vogel is in PA. Save on shipping, drive over and pick it up and let him show you how the unit works face to face. www.acrproducts.com I know he has them. He also services what he sells, and is very knowledgeable. It is important that a vendor be able to service equipment.

Beth

I'm gonna try and take a trip out there sometime this week. I typically like to buy things in person instead of having it shipped.

Can the Hurricane brush that Sun Brite sells be used with the Decker?

Yes he can! Tom rocks! We took our Sprinter Van up to Tom's a couple years back and he and Rod had a blast installing the two gun Hydrotek and all the plumbing. You can't go wrong working with Tom Vogel!

We tried the Hurricane brush a few years ago and were not impressed with it. Rod eventually took it apart and rebuilt it into another piece of equipment.

Beth

One other thing...if all you want is the pump and pluming and do not want the cart, there is also the Decker 5'er Topper. This unit sits on top of your 5 gallon pail. We have known guys who took those plastic cartons like you see eggs and milk hauled around in by grocery stores, and they use those to carry the battery and plumbing. It's a less expensive option to the one that is cart mounted. Just thought someone might like to know....

Beth

p.s. Tom carries those as well...

I thought I would share my mobile shurflo design. Obviously not as impressive as the Decker or Deckster, but it's still a wonderful tool for easy mobile chem application. I use it mainly for applying degreasers, acids, and gutter cleaner (for tall structures). I've never tried applying stain with it, and don't really plan too.

My goal was to keep it simple, efficient and a light weight as possible. It's designed for 5g buckets with special QC lid to easily switch from bucket to bucket. I originally planned to allow the buckets to be secured at the bottom so they can be pulled around, but realized that not all buckets are created equal and trying to secure a water tight fit with one lid just wasn't working.

The ball valve with QC that attachés to the lid allows the ability to not lose prime, and to not drip chem when switching out buckets.

I stays well balanced as long as the ground is at least somewhat level and it's light enough so it can easily be lifted when need be. I opted for the non pneumatic wheels because I wanted as least amount of weight as possible and because of its light weight pneumatic wheels just weren't necessary.

post-497-137772156525_thumb.jpg

post-497-13777215653_thumb.jpg

post-497-137772156534_thumb.jpg

Thanks Daryl, Thanks Beth. Daryl, its right at around 100'. I could have gotten by with less for what its beign used for, but since the hose came from a good section of retired roof cleaning hose, I figured why not.

Thank you for demonstrating to the deckster/decker people that you can actually put the battery *above* the battery destroying chemical drips and still be stable.

And if the deck(er/ster) guys are curious how it works, simply straighten the handle and get the CG on the same side of the axle as the lifting plate.

I stays well balanced as long as the ground is at least somewhat level and it's light enough so it can easily be lifted when need be. I opted for the non pneumatic wheels because I wanted as least amount of weight as possible and because of its light weight pneumatic wheels just weren't necessary.

Thank you for demonstrating to the deckster/decker people that you can actually put the battery *above* the battery destroying chemical drips and still be stable.

And if the deck(er/ster) guys are curious how it works, simply straighten the handle and get the CG on the same side of the axle as the lifting plate.

Funny you should mention that because while planning a design I thought about the possibility of equipping my buckets above the the battery and pump, but decided against it for two reasons, first, exactly what you said, doesn't make sense to put the electrical bellow the the liquids, and secondly, the battery box is a fixed object, so I don't have to lift it on and off of the cart, why would you want too have too hoist a full bucket of chems 4 ft up to mount it on the cart when you can save your back and put it at the bottom.

I like some of your ideas but would think that mounting the battery/pump a little lower would still allow room for the bucket, and make it a little less top heavy. I would rather have pneumatic wheels verses the the hard wheels for maneuverability. Great job, and I always love to design things with the help of this board.

I like some of your ideas but would think that mounting the battery/pump a little lower would still allow room for the bucket, and make it a little less top heavy. I would rather have pneumatic wheels verses the the hard wheels for maneuverability. Great job, and I always love to design things with the help of this board.

Actually you're right, the box could have been moved down a little, while still allowing enough room to place the bucket underneath. The reason it's so high is because, originally, I had the top half of a 5g bucket mounted on the base so I could slip and secure my chem buckets in and out for mobility, but later decided to scrap it because I couldn't guarantee a liquid tight seal while pulling different buckets. Now I just shut off the valve, disconnect the chem buckets, and move them separately when need be. It turns out to not be a big issue because generally when I'm using this cart, I pull it to a specific location on the property: deck, concrete area, etc, and it stays in one place the whole time I'm using it. As for the pneumatics, I would have opted for them, but every cart I could find locally with pneumatic wheels was just to heavy and bulky compared to this one.

I built a system on a hand truck also. I moved the battery box up to have more room to manuver the fiver and the suction hose.

The thing that isn't making sense to me is that the hand truck sits there looking pretty while I'm humping fivers back and forth.

Gotta wall-mounting Decker system coming my way. I'll figure out some other way to do this. I see a plastic crate in my future.