Sign in to follow this  
big mike

Calendar Issues....

Question

Just wondering if anyone else gets to a point that they are booked out too far? I'm currently booked with deck restorations until late June. I book two a week and do it by location so I'm not running all over town. I'm starting to get people who balk at the fact that they have to wait to get their job done. I guess people don't realize that quality work is in high demand. I would love to stop doing estimates for a month or so, but it goes against my nature. Maybe it's time to hire more help....Anyway, my question is this: How far out do you usually book jobs?

12 answers to this question

As far as people are willing to wait! We have been known to be booked out as far as 3 months. Most have told us that our reputation and company concept is what they are excited about and want our services. Most have seen our website, referrals have also played a part in it as well besides seeing our work out of their windows performed on a neighbors property.

If you are uncomfortable being booked out that far, than either add a crew or start a reservations list. Either way, you are in a good position to benefit.

Rod!~

Big Mike,

...With respect, I'd like to offer a suggestion that I think trumps the afore mentioned......RAISE YOUR PRICES!! My prices go up and down depending on workload. ...And you'll be a better salesman too because you won't necessarily care if they hire you. Either take the best, or leave the best, it is up to the customer. For decks, I'd say you need to stay NO MORE than one month booked up. Plus, you want to be able to "squeeze in" those special jobs, a really high job, or a job for someone that increases your clout. For instance, say Minnesota-native Prince calls you to refinish his deck. I'd wanna squeeze him in,

Around here you can be a higher priced company and be booked that far out... the "DC" area is very heavily populated. And if they want to wait, it's their choice. How far out one is booked is not necessarily a indicator that the price is too low...at least, not for us. (the three month example is not indicative of this particular year, but was within the last three years)

Beth ;)

RAISE PRICES!!! Beth, at some point theoretically you'll level off and people would stop accepting your bids. If you are constantly getting "yes, yes, yes, yes" then raise prices until you are getting "yes, no, yes, no". It doesn't matter what your prices are--if everyone is accepting them they are too low.

RAISE PRICES!!! Beth, at some point theoretically you'll level off and people would stop accepting your bids. If you are constantly getting "yes, yes, yes, yes" then raise prices until you are getting "yes, no, yes, no". It doesn't matter what your prices are--if everyone is accepting them they are too low.

Didn't say we are getting every one of them. Didn't say that at all. We're not. I really do "get" it. There is more to being booked out than low prices. Really...there is.

Beth

I agree with Jon. If you are booked out three months you need to increase your productivity or raise your prices. I do deck restoration and housewashing. While each can have its level of craft, it isn't luxury home building. I can't see telling a customer tommorrow, "I can fit you in the first week of August" Beth how do your customers react?

To all, thanks for the replies. Jon, I have raised my prices and still get the jobs. I had a guy the other day tell me he got four bids and mine was $600 higher than the rest. Guess what, I got the job. I sell with the idea of high quality workmanship and many like the premise. They see that I'm not a 21 yr old looking for beer money. I have logo shirts, lettered vehicles, and a website to refer people to. Most of the other contractors in my neck of the woods don't. I guess people feel more comfortable dishing out 2 grand to someone who actually looks like their going to be around next time they call. I do agree that booking out too far will lose some customers, but if they are at all informed, they understand that a contractor that's in high demand is most likely a quality craftsman. I use High School aged kids (my own and their friends) for my summer help. I can teach them a trade, and they get paid well. The problem is that school isn't out until June 10th, after that we really get cruising on the decks.

I'll say it...again...

Right now we are not booked that far, but within the last 3 years we did have a season like that. Since none of you believe it is anything other than price, I'll elaborate.

Who remembers that really WET season we had a couple of years ago (maybe 3 now?), at least here on the eastern seaboard...in our area we had 5 months of "April". That year, we were backed up 3 months, and no-one minded one bit - the weather played a huge part in it.

Being booked out a long ways has to do with more than price. It can have to do with your marketing, your area and demographic, and your weather. It can have to do with being shorthanded, as well as other things I can think of. We do check to see where our prices fall, and we are not too low.

Beth

p.s. I'll repeat it one more time...we are not 3 months out now. That was a prior year.

I'll say it...again...

Big Mike, it doesn't matter that you were $600 above the other guy. What if you'd have been up $1600?? Maybe you still get the job?? It doesn't matter how HIGH or LOW your price is, if everyone is saying 'yes', you are leaving money on the table. I don't care if you are twice as high as your next competitor. Too many 'yes' answers=long booking.

Many "yes" answers + $1500.00 extra = less 'yes' answers (and if not, you raise $$ again)

Supply and Demand. There are guys I know that charge $8.00 per sq.ft. on decks. They have a rep, people want them, and they pay for it.

Regarding being booked due to weather, the same principle applies. Everyone else is behing as well, a certain # of decks will get done in a year in a given city, and if you season is drastically cut into due to weather, the supply of contractors will be lower than the demand for decks. Hence, you raise prices to accomadate. Plus you need to make up for the downtime you had.