Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

why does hot water always cause leaks

Why is it everytime I turn the burner on and start pushing some 180 degree water, I get a leak somewhere. All my hoses are rated to 220 degree as are my guns, lances, nozzles etc. But everytime I turn it on I get another leak somewhere. It always seems to be in the swivel end of a hose. Is there a way to fix this.

Thanks, MIke

I noticed that too. I wish they wouldn't put those stupid swiveling ends on hoses because they just don't last. When you get the end of the hose repaired, just make sure they put a fixed end on it rather than a swivel.

Those swivels are there to assist in the assembly of equipment. Notice that most hoses only have one on one end.

Try putting a fixed end crimp on the hose reel and see what I mean.

I get all my hoses repaired with solid ends, but I also run swivels on all my guns. I use JIC type fittings to get the solid ends in places like the reel and such.

I wish I could find someone that can do a good repair on hoses. I tried several people inmy area last year and all the connections did not last past the first cycle of the unloader and blew off.

Had to trash 200' of hose that was only 7 mos. old b'c the end at the connection rusted out!

I also tried using inline HP swivels, stainless, they leaked so bad i took them off the first day.

I wish I could find someone that can do a good repair on hoses. I tried several people inmy area last year and all the connections did not last past the first cycle of the unloader and blew off.

Had to trash 200' of hose that was only 7 mos. old b'c the end at the connection rusted out!

I also tried using inline HP swivels, stainless, they leaked so bad i took them off the first day.

you must be doing something wrong with the hp swivels, I have used some of the same ones for a couple years. Something that might would help you is a flow actuated unloader.

I have had the same luck with my hoses that Jim has had. I have 2 X 100' sections of Goodyear Neptune 2 wire hose on my reel that are now almost 3 years old. I use all stainless steel QC's, swivels, & fittings. I also use whips on every gun that I have, they are also almost 3 years old. One of the things that I have noticed alot of guys do is to pull hose using the gun. How hard is it to reach down a few feet of the hose with one hand & grab it & pull, instead of pulling on the hose with the gun. I am not sure that any of this is THE answer, but it seems to be working for me.

Perhaps the swivel(s) were bad from the start. I constantly hold the hose from and pull from an armslength down from gun. Try to keep the hose "dressed" in a relaxed position and not pulling on it at the connections.

(Who needs to do curls at the gym??? Just pull 200' of hose all day....Got a new work out video coming...LOL)

The swivels leaked in the middle where they are factory sealed. How difficult is it to connect a swivel????

Unloader is flow actuacted.....Thanks Jim!

I changed out the straight line gun on my surface cleaners to the standard L shaped gun to get the hose more in a natural line. It's also more confortable to hold/move around.

Many on this board do not like Neptune hose. But, I have 300ft from Northern that has been the best hose I own. No marking, no leaks, no exposed wires, etc. I have never run hot water through it (a supposed problem), but I will try that when I replace my existing hose. And for cold water only applications, I would tell anyone to buy it without reservation.

One more thing. All my non-neptune hoses that burst did so at the crimp. Probably from reeling to tightly and overstressing.

I have had the same luck with my hoses that Jim has had. I have 2 X 100' sections of Goodyear Neptune 2 wire hose on my reel that are now almost 3 years old. I use all stainless steel QC's, swivels, & fittings. I also use whips on every gun that I have, they are also almost 3 years old. One of the things that I have noticed alot of guys do is to pull hose using the gun. How hard is it to reach down a few feet of the hose with one hand & grab it & pull, instead of pulling on the hose with the gun. I am not sure that any of this is THE answer, but it seems to be working for me.

Hot water requires a different seal type. Most standard hoses and swivels are set up with buna/nitrile seals for cold water. Hot water set up requires fkm/viton seals. Also there are many different levels of quality when it comes to swivels.

Not to try and plug for any certin company but we were having probblems with brand X inline swivels leaking and we recently baught some of the mosmatic (sp?) and by far they are the best we have used, THEY ACUALLY swivel underpressure and have not leaked once with hot water and 4000 psi. Best part is we can get em cheaper then the other brand

Not to try and plug for any certin company but we were having probblems with brand X inline swivels leaking and we recently baught some of the mosmatic (sp?) and by far they are the best we have used, THEY ACUALLY swivel underpressure and have not leaked once with hot water and 4000 psi. Best part is we can get em cheaper then the other brand

Just be careful to not overtighten those SS gun swivels They will crack!!! Nice paperweight though....

I had purchased a ton of stuff from a certain company that I will not mention their name but the sale was fantastic and I thought the quality might be there and I had a good deal. I got lousy customer support and the people there did not know what they were talking about and accused me of damaging the new supplies. I just will not buy anything from their company again. Anyways the jumper hose/swivel leaked as soon as I used it with cold water. Both of them that I bought. I started to purchase stuff from Pressure Tek and told Bob about my swivel problems and he recommended a Brass swivel (do not know the name brand) and have used it for over a year now with temperatures as high as 180° and has not leaked a drop yet and the swivel was under $24.00. A brand new 100' hose from the same company leaked after 20 minutes. I cut off the end and put the re-usable hose ends on it and have not had any problems. A friend of mine has used these for many years and has never had one leak or come off. These ends are under $7.00 and take less than 10 minutes to install after you cut the hose. I used my chop saw to cut the hose so I would have a good end to work with.