Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

down streaming

Question

Hello

I started off my first wash by attempting to downstream. Horrible luck. I had a weak chem. mix and a horrible draw thru 200' of hose. I instantly switched to a m5 x jet and have been very happy.

However, Recently I have been reading about so many that love to down stream, they claim to use less chems, work fast and do just as good of a job.

Now I am tossed. Given the opportunity to achieve the same results I do with an m5 x jet thru downstreaming, I think I would surely switch just over the lugging bucket drama.

So to all the hardcore downstreamers, please help me here.

How would I go about accomplishing the same success in the same time frame by way of downstreaming and what would recommonded as far as a downstreamer and tips to achieve the sometimes needed 30 feet.

Please, if you downstream, chime in.

I am new enought at this that I would like to determine my prefered way sooner than later.

Thanks, Mike

12 answers to this question

Tips for high reach chem application, like Barry said, 0020-0050

Tips for mid range chem application - 0540 and 1540

Tips for short range chem application - chemical tip and 1550

----------

Tips for long range rinsing - 0010 - 0030

Tips for mid range rinsing - 0515

Tips for short range rinsing - (I like to use) 8010, 9510, 8020, 6515

-----------

I find using a downstreamer one step down than recommended, i.e. if you run a 6gpm machine, go with a 3-5 gpm injector, seems to draw better.

I also try to use the largest filter I can on my chem line (I use the same one that comes with an x-jet). I use a 3/8" draw hose instead of the 1/4", not sure whether that makes much difference, but it makes me feel better.

equip your draw line with a small ball valve so you can easily shut the chem draw on and off, especially if you plan to rinse with low pressure. I always rinse exteriors with a mild enough pressure that if I don't hit the ball valve, it will continue to pull chem so the ball valve is a must.

I use the same 3/8" ball valve that comes with the x-jet for this purpose.

To me, it's always a good idea to disconnect the downstreamer when using a surface cleaner (especially if using a smaller orifice injector than recommended), so I would suggest keeping it attached with the QC.

Plan your next move. When downstreaming it's a bit more imperative to plan ahead, so as not to waste a second of time while clearing the line, or when waiting for the chem to draw to the end of the hose. The first thing you need to do is find out exactly how long it takes from the time you put a chem tip on until the chem begins to flow out ot the nozzle. If you know this you can make good use of this time. For me, it takes about 10 -12 seconds for the chem to clear the line, so knowing this when I'm coming to the end of an area I'm applying chem to, I shut off the chem flow to finish out the line. Not a drop wasted, no time wasted. You get the idea. most of it is just practice and getting used to a new way of doing things.

Tips for high reach chem application, like Barry said, 0020-0050

Tips for mid range chem application - 0540 and 1540

Tips for short range chem application - chemical tip and 1550

----------

Tips for long range rinsing - 0010 - 0030

Tips for mid range rinsing - 0515

Tips for short range rinsing - (I like to use) 8010, 9510, 8020, 6515

-----------

Hell now i know why I Xjet, I'd loose all those tips, plus my eyes, I could never read the tip size on all those

My guys call me the deaf blind pressure washing king

Ok - on my craftsman pressure washer, I have a port for downstreaming. In an effort to get away from using garden sprayers and deck brushes - I am experimenting with the downstreamer to apply chemicals with. I put the tube into a gallon of water - and then put the gun into a 5 gallon bucket. I filled two buckets before emptying the bottle. So my ratio is 9:1. What strength of chemicals do you use? If I fill a 5 gallon full of bleach - I will only get 1 part of bleach to 9 parts of water onto the house - I guess I am fine with that. How about detergent? If I use put a cup of TSP into a 5-gallon bucket in the past when I scrubbed on chemicals - should I just still put one cup in? Or should compute for every gallon of chemicals - 10 gallons of solution makes it way onto the house, so I should put in 2 cups of TSP for every gallon of my mix? My soaping tip only shoots several feet, so I'll still be climbing the ladder to apply chems with, but I guess that's better than a garden sprayer on my back. I'll have to experiement with tips in the future.

-Dan

Dan, you will need to do the math to refigure your chemical ratios. Also, read the other threads on downstreaming (even Lance's above) There is no reason you ned to climb a ladder. You should probably look into getting a machine with more flow also.

You need to figure out your gpm. If you are filling 10 gallons while emptying 1 (soap) in 2 minutes that is 10:1. 11 parts total. There are 128 oz. per gallon. Divide 128 by 11. That is 11.6% chemical and 88.6 water. I don't think your craftsman is delivering 5 gpm though so you will have to time it then do the math. As an example my machine delivers 4.5 gallons per minute. I empty 1 gallon in 2 minutes(downstream injector) Thats 9:1. I put 12.8% chemical out. Hope this helps.

Dan - actually, when I filled those two 5 gallon buckets - that included the one gallon of solution I emptied. So in those two 5 gallon buckets, 9 gallons is water and 1 gallon is solution - that is where I come up with the 9:1 ratio.

Ken - I have a 2.7 GPM 2900PSI 7.0 HP craftsman. The downstreamer injector works of a venturi effect - if I have high flow, then I will have good suction with the venturi. But to have high flow, my nozzle tip has to be wide open - which my soaper tip is, thus it doesn't shoot very far. If I put my other tips on - it will restrict flow and not pick up any solution. So I am really confused about guys who are reaching 2 stories with a downstreamer.

How do you get your nozzle to shoot far, yet at the same time have high flow in order to suck up chems? Inquiring minds want to know, lol.

-Dan

Dan, you need to find a nozzle that is designated 00250. That means a o degree spread and a number 25 orifice which is pretty big. It will shoot a long stream. With that machine I am not sure you will get up real high but it will definitely shoot at least 20 feet.

Ok - on my craftsman pressure washer, I have a port for downstreaming. In an effort to get away from using garden sprayers and deck brushes - I am experimenting with the downstreamer to apply chemicals with. I put the tube into a gallon of water - and then put the gun into a 5 gallon bucket. I filled two buckets before emptying the bottle. So my ratio is 9:1. What strength of chemicals do you use? If I fill a 5 gallon full of bleach - I will only get 1 part of bleach to 9 parts of water onto the house - I guess I am fine with that. How about detergent? If I use put a cup of TSP into a 5-gallon bucket in the past when I scrubbed on chemicals - should I just still put one cup in? Or should compute for every gallon of chemicals - 10 gallons of solution makes it way onto the house, so I should put in 2 cups of TSP for every gallon of my mix? My soaping tip only shoots several feet, so I'll still be climbing the ladder to apply chems with, but I guess that's better than a garden sprayer on my back. I'll have to experiement with tips in the future.

-Dan

9gpm is impressive for a factory downstreamer. I expected 20:1

1 gal, 5 gal, 15 gal, etc. doesn't matter. Just compute your chems as you want them to hit the surface. If you were putting 1cup/5 gal before, and you will be downstreaming at 9:1 then put in 10 cups. Be aware that 10 cups may hypersaturate the solution and fail to dissolve or fall out of solution. That's one reason why most of us do not use powdered house wash soaps.

Trade the ladder in on a xjet.

Ken - I looked on the pressuretek website. I will be calling them soon, but I was just curious as to how those nozzles work? They don't look like the quick disconnect kind - what other hardware must one get to get the system working. And also - alot of my painting buddies don't use the downstreaming port on their machines. They worry about seals and stuff going - that's why it's just common practice to use the garden pump sprayers. What are people's thoughts about running chems through the downstreaming port? I definitely won't use it for sodium hydroxide, but what about running bleach and stuff - is there a periodic replacement of parts to be considered? I know this won't be running through the pump - but it's still running through hoses and the gun and stuff.

-Dan

Philip - I guess there are two types of pressure washing. I think for the most part alot of guys here offer a service to clean a house. Where as most of my clients I pressure wash for is part of complete service for painting their house as well. In that regards, not only do I want to clean their house - but want to use TSP like compounds to give the paint surface a 'profile' that the new paint will adhere better to. I think most guys' house-washes won't abrade or dull a painted surface - as it shouldn't since you want to leave a client with a bright and clean house. Is it possible to have a liquid detergent mix that can dull a surface for prep for painting like my TSP does?

-Dan

Dan, it's just like any other piece of equipment. You have to start with the right pieces and parts and then maintain them. An airless sprayer will last as long as it is maintained and cleaned.I downstream everything these days..Stripper, acid, housewash mix. I use stainless steel quick couplers as they don't corrode like brass ones do. After you are done applying your soap, you always have to rinse anyway so your lines get cleared out. I change O-rings once a month on both rigs or in the field as needed. The oldest of my hoses I have been using for four years and they have seen the war.. from being dragged over jagged rocks to being run over by an impatient homeowner in her Humvee to having some serious chemicals pass through. No problems so far.

To answer your question.. you can buy a male QC that will screw onto those nozzles. Here is one I am cleaning up right now so I snapped a pic. (can't get the picture to upload)