Sign in to follow this  
PLD

What I dislike about the BigGuy

I use the heck out of my big guy, but there are a few things I really hate about it. BG owners, let's disect this monkey and get Whisper Wash to release a new one that suits our needs even better. Here's my gripes.

First, the big guy has a noticible disadvantage over other surface cleaners because of it's 1" diameter spray bar. That massive bar presents a frontal drag that is nearly TWICE that of standard 3/8 steel arms. This means that more energy is required to keep the bar spinning that is NOT being used for cleaning.

Also, when a heavy bar like that solidly strikes a fixed object like a curb the damage is significant. Neither the massive bar or the curb yield, forcing the failure to occur at the spinner hub. Very expensive and unneccessary repair. Allow the bar to break or install a failure point that can be replaced cheaply.

Finally, the aluminum bar is just too soft and wears out about every 3 months. Aluminum was just not meant to be in a highly abrasive, corrosive environment. The leading edge of the bar becomes significantly worn causing the useable threads (that hold the tip) on the drop from 5-6 to 1-2. Next, something inconsequential like a small stone strikes the tip, forcing it out of the bar. As that happens, the remaining soft aluminum threads yield and are ripped from the bar rendering it useless.

I use the heck out of my big guy, but there are a few things I really hate about it. BG owners, let's disect this monkey and get Whisper Wash to release a new one that suits our needs even better. Here's my gripes.

First, the big guy has a noticible disadvantage over other surface cleaners because of it's 1" diameter spray bar. That massive bar presents a frontal drag that is nearly TWICE that of standard 3/8 steel arms. This means that more energy is required to keep the bar spinning that is NOT being used for cleaning.

Also, when a heavy bar like that solidly strikes a fixed object like a curb the damage is significant. Neither the massive bar or the curb yield, forcing the failure to occur at the spinner hub. Very expensive and unneccessary repair. Allow the bar to break or install a failure point that can be replaced cheaply.

Finally, the aluminum bar is just too soft and wears out about every 3 months. Aluminum was just not meant to be in a highly abrasive, corrosive environment. The leading edge of the bar becomes significantly worn causing the useable threads (that hold the tip) on the drop from 5-6 to 1-2. Next, something inconsequential like a small stone strikes the tip, forcing it out of the bar. As that happens, the remaining soft aluminum threads yield and are ripped from the bar rendering it useless.

Phil I'm surprised your having these problems. Mines 2 years old and the only part Ive replaced is the skirt and the fitting at the gun.

I like the bar on the Big Guy, because it is one piece. Are you talking the spray bar every 3 months . I try to stay away from stonesbut have hit a ton of them and my tips have never fallen out and the threads are still fine, I change them every so often. I have no complaints at all with the Big Guy

Its to bad your having these problems mine is nothing but a work horse

JL

I absolutely love my big guy I push it with 8.5 gpm@ 3600 psi.I don't notice a drag it spins very well and performs excellant.I have hit curbs,rocks,tree roots,and even metal and it shows wear but its not ready for replacement.The only thing I have done in 2 years is rebuild the bearing.It saves me a lot of time and money and has paid for itself several times over.

I have the 24" and the newer 36", but no the BG. I have used both like crazy and only had to replace the spray bar ( once in 2 years). Aluminum is light, but is a trade off b/c is its properties. It's not very expensive relative to alternatives.

I am sure you could go to any fab shop and have them make one out of titanium for mega $$$

What I haven't been able to understand is why those big surfacers don't come with 4bar spinners rather than just a 2bar(or cross versus single bar). Obviously a 4 bar 4 nozzle assembly would clean faster than a two bar(and this would defeat the problem of not being able to spin that one bar fast enough to keep up with zebra striping. Any ideas?

I spent $200.00m fixing my Whisper wash and it still needs more.I just got tired of the BS and bought a cheapo North Star 20" for $300.00

On top of that i got 2 year replacement warranty for $30

Whisper wash didn't last me that long,maybe i have used it 80 hours,their swivel assembly is way too complicated,it has more seals and gaskets then a surface cleaner needs.

It's not very expensive relative to alternatives.

I am sure you could go to any fab shop and have them make one out of titanium for mega $$$

Not very expensive? That bar is $125.00

No need for titanium. A 3/8 steel line would be more than enough as many other cleaners have proven.

Yea I knew about that 4 nozzle two bar setup but how beneficial can that really be? Not nearly as beneficial as 4 bars with nozzles at the extremes.

This is educated speculation and would require real world testing. That said... With the nozzles located at different radii, they are cleaning two seperate areas. With 4 nozzles/bars at the extreme each nozzle follows the previous VERY closely. The net effect is that nozzle #2 is cleaning behind #1, #4 behind #3.

For ideal cleaning, the nozzles all be on seperate radii. This would cause them to act like seperate blades on a carbide tipped wood planer. Of course, unless you had 6 arms this would be one horribly unbalanced machine. The 4 nozzle two bar is the closest you can approximate this with less than 10-12gpm.

My bar broke and I picked up the 4 spray nozzle version. The difference is night and day. I was shocked at how much faster I could clean, No and I repeat No overlap marks. I run 8gpm and on most concrete it would be difficult to get it to tiger stripe. The guy who sold it to me really did not think it would clean a lot better, but trust me it did. He did say about 8gpm is necessary for the 4 nozzle set up. Well worth the money.

Jeff Robison

Titan Exterior.

He did say about 8gpm is necessary for the 4 nozzle set up. Well worth the money.

Is he a real knowledgeable guy about flow/nozzles/etc? I ask because I want to know if he said that just because that's the conventional wisdom about 4 nozzles, or if it's real world experience that 4x1.5 is less effective than 2x2.5.

Anyone tried a 4 nozzle on a 5.5? If someone wants to lend me a 4 nozzle bar, I'll buy the tips and let everyone know how it works out.

I have the 2 bar system on my big guy it performs just as well as my 4 bar maxima.When I start having striping or overlapping issues I change my tips and all is well again.

I am not sure how knowledgable he really is, but he is the only guy in ATL that had one in stock and I told him my specs and it works out great. I would have to look at the nozzles, it has been a while. I believe 2.0 or maybe even 2.5. I showed up and he had everything ready to go.

He even said he was not sure if it would be better or not, but it did!! I will try just about anything to increase efficiency and this one worked.

Jeff Robiso

Titan Exterior

Is he a real knowledgeable guy about flow/nozzles/etc? I ask because I want to know if he said that just because that's the conventional wisdom about 4 nozzles, or if it's real world experience that 4x1.5 is less effective than 2x2.5.

Anyone tried a 4 nozzle on a 5.5? If someone wants to lend me a 4 nozzle bar, I'll buy the tips and let everyone know how it works out.

You might get your chance! I believe my BG has a 4 nozzle bar, but 2 of the nozzles were plugged when I bough the unit. The guy I bought my equipment from plugged the 2 nozzles from the start, he told me it would work more effectively and I have a 5.5. You bring the nozzles, see ya Saturday :).

John Werling

Superior Pressure Washing

Fayetteville, GA

Are the bars steel or aluminum? A pic of the bars would be awesome if you ever get a chance.

I'll try and take one and post it here soon for you.

John Werling

Superior Pressure Washing

Fayetteville, GA

I think the Big Guy is a great machine, just a little too big for my pw. I have a 5.6gpm 3000psi hot water machine. Using the surface cleaner it does clean good just slow due to the volume of my pressure washer. I have the Classic 19" and it is great. I am thinking of selling the Big Guy (also sold under the MI-T-M name). Anyone interested? It is dirty but I will clean it up and it has less than 30 hours on it. It does have the MI-T-M name on it but it is the Big Guy by Whisper Wash.

I think the Big Guy is a great machine, just a little too big for my pw. I have a 5.6gpm 3000psi hot water machine. Using the surface cleaner it does clean good just slow due to the volume of my pressure washer. I have the Classic 19" and it is great. I am thinking of selling the Big Guy (also sold under the MI-T-M name). Anyone interested? It is dirty but I will clean it up and it has less than 30 hours on it. It does have the MI-T-M name on it but it is the Big Guy by Whisper Wash.

Chris, What are you askng for it?

A 4 to 5 gal a minute machine does not have adequate flow/energy to move a steel bar effectively. Too much energy is lost in getting it to move and keep in motion. Similar for a 4 bar set up.

The 8 gpm machine can handle the extra weight of 4 bars. In addition, when using a lower flow machine, 4 to 5 gpm, the nozzles have to be so small to split the flow, they clog very easily. It is very similaar to one of the spray bars you get as an attachment, each are 1.3 gpm and are tiny holes and a PITA to clear when clogged.

Never had any issues (yet) with my whisper wash. Replaced one bar at about 500 hours as it was worn badly from grit etc. I have two if them and both have been great so far.

The only time I have had zebra striping was on really dirty areas, where I over lap. Have a section that is cleaned twice. I either slow down and/or make two passes or until cleaned properly. Either the flow/pressure was inadequate for the dirt, a nozzle is partially blocked, but still spraying without casuing the flow to pump, one or both nozzles could be misaligned.

Have to do some trouble-shooting to resolve that issue,

I'm looking into another surface cleaner and was thinking about looking into a Big Guy, but after reading some of the posts I'm second guessing whether my machine will give it adequate power to operate effectively. My machine is a 5.6gpm 3,500 psi. Anyone else run one with these spec's? Will the be sufficient?

If not, I might just go with another 20" model, probably the Classic seems to receive some really good feedback. I don't want another cheapy, 2 driveway life span model (GP).

One more thing, looking at the design of the Big Guy, I'm wondering what its maneuverability is like. With my hover rotoblaster, I can go forward, move it sideways, and then go back wards. How does this one handle this kind of maneuverability?