Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy M

Lowes is now selling cabots.

Question

7 answers to this question

Cabot's is on a downhill spiral. They are headed for a massive class action lawsuit with the SPF and STILL their technical lab monkeys recommend this junk. When a company's product line goes mass market it usually reformulated to meet demands of very high volume production and of course to meet margin demands of high volume retailers. My advice...steer clear.

This is going to upset a lot of small mom and pop retailers. Two of my local paint stores carry a full line of Cabot stains.

Always seemed their marketing was to try to position Cabot stains as being high end. Not now.

Wonder if they changed formulations and oil base to get their manu. costs down. This trick is used by some manus. of products that retail in Lowes and Home Depot.

Ken,

They are headed for a massive class action lawsuit with the SPF

Sorry, I was writing and did not see your post. Is this true? That would be some very good news and maybe change the stain industry.

Rick, I am in contact with many PO'd homeowners around the country. It sems many are experiencing the nightmare that is SPF. It's only going to take a few of the right people out for blood. Has Cabot's undergone management changes? Poor Samuel would be rolling in his grave.

We have been getting calls from deck builders who are getting pushed hard by Cabot's to purchase and install SPF. The directions given are those you would see when finishing furniture for application, and ... it is getting pushed as the hardwood product of choice.

Beth

Ken,

I am in contact with many PO'd homeowners around the country.

Good for you. Is there any way other wood contractors could help bring some legal or other pressure to bear on these acrylic stain manufacturers?

Someone on the Grime Scene should have papers dealing with the old Behr's "no mildewcide" class action lawsuit. The lead attorneys gained a settlement if I recall of ~ $150 million. That law firm might be a good resource.

Anything to get rid of these foul acrylic exterior wood stains would be a blessing for all, the homeowner, contractors, and the wood itself.

The problem with Cabot's like many good companies - is that they have been bought out by a parent company - in this case Valspar. It always seems to be the kiss of death. Look at what Sherwin Williams did to products like Minwax, or what they're doing to purdy brush - at least pratt&Lambert is still excellent paint. That and the pressures of the EPA to make VOC compliant coatings at any cost. Since they aren't seeing any improvements in air quality in the state of California - they keep mandating lowered VOC's in hopes of finding improved air quality - but that ain't ever going to happen. Since oil based paints don't pollute! VOC's when combined with nitrous oxides is what forms ground level smog, a.k.a ozone. But nitrous oxides come from cars - and an acre of certain hardwoods of trees release enough isoprenes in an hour on a hot summer day that would be equivalent to dumping 20 gallons of gasoline every hour. So what the heck is the EPA going after oil based paints and coatings for? You have to go after the source, CARS!!!!! There will always be plenty of VOC's coming from trees naturally to mix with car emissions. Heck, Cow flatulence totals more VOC's than all the gasoline vapors escaping from gas stations and cars combined.

Or oil based coatings for that matter.

-Dan