Sign in to follow this  
exstream

stank garbage cans

Question

So I was driving around an had noticed it was garbage day in my part of town. There is around 13,800 houses so says the Cencus report of 2000. What if you were to send a flyer out in your area code saying you would be more than happy to clean that filthy pig of a garbage can for 20$ The garbage trucks run Monday-Friday you can pick up the route sheets from the public records.

Everyone has a garbage can and I'm sure everyone dreads the summer time stench from it as well.

I'm going to give it a shot. I cleaned mine today and it took maybe 10-15 min to make it look good.

Its a good way to get in with the public. Your already there why not clean a driveway or family pet?

let me know if this is some half ass way to make a buck or the greatest idea next to 6 min abs:lgbounces

8 answers to this question

i think most home owners (trash can owners) could easily do that themselves. if you are busy with bigger jobs why

would you want to fool with 20.00 trash cans.

get out and get some big $$$$ jobs. the money you would

spend marketing it would be better spent on marketing your regular services, imo.

Cleaning local business dumpsters and dumpster areas would be more profitable if you are wanting to break into refuse cleaning. The rats are twice the size as normal rats, and tend to put up a good fight. Plus they are not that hard to get setup for multi cleanings on a regular basis. I actually don't do as many dumpster cleanings as I did at first. You can find alot of business at the diners and quick stops. Trash can cleaning may be more trouble than it is worth. IMHO.

I Would Not Take The Hose Off My Rig For 20.00.. Not To Mention A Trash Can Cost 9.88 At Walmart

I agree. But FWIW, I think we are talking about $100 90gal "curbies". I have two, and wash them about once a year to get rid of the mildew layer ooze on the inside.

Done house-to-house, no way. Done 200 at a time for a garbage company, perhaps. I can see $2000/day for a once a month visit to the local garbage company.

This is one of the most common "freebies" I do. Roofwash and housewash mixes work well, and it requires little effort.

I'll say, "Hey, do you want your trashcans washed out?"

People often say no, but it works better for me than throwing in sidewalks or pavers (especially since those are services I try to sell!) and is still a way to add a little value and goodwill to the stop.

Also, as has been pointed out, cans are cheap everywhere. That limits exposure should something go awry. Just watch your reclaim issues, and beware; the stuff that rolls out of that can might be a nasty surprise!:lgsick:

I thought about trying to sell this service as a route, but got the most interest from the haulers themselves. One eventually decided to add it quarterly, but then backed off after learning about the CWA. Now they won't believe there is a good way to do this, and are scared of risk exposure.

I think some washing does take place at their shop, as used units are refurbed/stored.

What works good to get rid of the smell in some of the dumpsters? I was thinking of cleaning it and then using bleach but there has to be something better to neutralize the smell or mask it instead of bleach. Anything worked for anyone? Thanks.