Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

End Tables

Question

I want to refinish two of these end tables that were passed on to me by a family member (I know, they look like crap). I think they are redwood. What special strip/stain issues do I need to be aware of?

post-1269-137772157225_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

Pete,

Sure looks like redwood. I'd try maybe 4 or 5 oz. of your NaOH flakes per gal. for stripper. Don't hit it hard with your pressure washer. Neutralize with oxalic, citric, whatever acid you use.

If you don't have a moisture meter, let it sit for a day or better two to let the wood dry out.

Staining can be a problem. But not always. Depends on the redwood itself. I had a redwood deck last year that I tested a small spot with regular Ready Seal stain. Immediately, within a second or two, the wood was nearly black from the natural wood resins coming to the surface. The Ready Seal redwood only formula worked and looks fine.

I think it may have to do with the age of the wood. This deck was ~ 20 years old and the wood may have been from old growth stock. I know of many contractors in the West and California that use regular Ready Seal on redwood daily without the resin/tannin issue. This redwood may be from younger trees, possibly tree farm stock.

Rick hit it. Redwood's extractives can cause the overall appearance of the sealer to turn very dark when combined with them. Mature growth redwood has this problem more frequently than newer growth versions as Rick has mentioned.

Rod!~