Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Exotic woods

Question

Thought I knew something working on exotic wood decks. This list is from the home page of Thompson Mahogany Co., a 160 yr. old firm located in Phila., Pa.

We are a major direct importer of Genuine Mahogany, African Mahogany, Sapele Mahogany, Santos Mahogany, Aniegre, Bubinga, Bloodwood, Brazilian Cherry, Spanish Cedar, Cumaru, Ipé, Jatoba, Lacewood, Makore, Obeche, Padauk, Peruvian Walnut, Purpleheart, Rosewood, Teak, Wenge, Zebrawood, Ipé Decking, Cambara Decking and Hardwood Flooring..

Web page: http://www.thomahog.com/

I have never even heard of most of these species.

42 answers to this question

The lumber yards are wise to the wood species. Trust me. It is more convienant for them to play along since they benefit as well. Most of the time the lumber suppliers and harvester will only give a false name as long as the phantom wood possesses the main qualities it is imitating, ie. grain, color, density, rot resistive nature, etc. You will not find someone that will take pine and name christmas tree maple for instance. They would never get away with it.

Philipine mahogany although it is not a true mahogany, it still features some of the same traits as true mahogany.

Its all in the game.

Mike or anyone else,

Any suggestions on teak deck furniture? Being a "woodie", just can't bring myself to buy the S.A. who know what hardwoods while I can spend, jeeze, only twice as much for teak!

From what I have read, the quality wood now comes from Indoneisian plantations. Any idea? Aside from fabrication practices and craftsmanship, it seems the kiln dried teak to 12 -15% moisture content is the way to go. Learned that from staining decks.

Without question the wood must be heartwood. Does the term "one side clear teak heartwood with a mix of straight and free grain" mean anything to you? Sounds good, but I'm not a furniture maker.

Knew the brand Smith & Hawkens but they did not have what we are looking for.

Guess I should not hijack the thread for personal use but maybe others can learn something about teak. Thanks.

Most wood used in production furniture does come from indonesia, thailand, india, philipines, etc.

Kiln dried is optimal but for furntiure, I use 8-10% moisture. Exterior fruniture will of course vary.

One side clear means just that. One side of the board is clear of knots, holes, cracks and other imperfections that are noticible with the naked eye. Select and better is clear both sides. Hopefully they used the clear side as the exposed side. Straight grain means just that, the grain is straight or more appropiate, it is regular in apperance. Free grain's definition is beheld in the interperter. I see free grain as everything less than straight, wavy or just out of sorts so to speak. Others see free grain as birdseye, quilted, tiger, burl, flecks, etc.

Teak is a beautiful wood that will last for ever. However, don't rule out the other indonesian hardwoods. Many of them are just as durable and just as attractive. They are just plenitful because that part of the world has the climate, land and cheap labor to harvest such plantations.

Many stores such as pottery barn, crate and barrel, peir one imports sell almost all imported furntiure made in indonesia from there plantation grown hardwoods.

Before you go and buy anything, I would suggest this. Cut out some pics of what you are looking to buy and find a couple of local woodworkers. If you can't find one, call a local millworks and ask them to refer you to someone. They will probably be able to make you some one of a kind or at least "to your spec" furniture for about the same price. Probably a little more but it would be worth it.

Especially with you being in New Jersey, wood is cheaper there like it is in north carolina, san jose and florida. A vast amount of the wood being imported to the US comes in those areas.

Just one quick note on plantation grown lumber. They do a great justice to prevent more forest from being destroyed, but please don't see them as a replacement. A forest needs all the ingredients to produce the ecological phenomenom that they are. Planting a bunch of tress in a row dosn't cut it. A forest needs animals, plants, bugs, trees, weather, mud, dirt, algae, mold, vines, rain, sunlight, disease and everything else, good or bad, to be a beautiful forest. Although these plantations help preserve the forest from being destroyed, they are not a replacement.

Moral here, go plant an American Chestnut tree

Mike,

Thanks so much for the good info. Your grading description is especially helpful.

In my business, have seen quite a bit of the "unknown hardwood" deck and pool furniture. It just does not seem to weather to an acceptable patina like teak. More discolored and splochty looking compared to teak.

Working on exterior wood for 7 - 8 months, I know that my furniture will be the last to be finished. Thats why I want teak, it looks good and lasts without staining. Same reason I reskinned my own deck with ipe'. The "shoemakers kids have no shoes" syndrome.

I like the idea of custom made furniture, but with the cost of living here in NJ, cannot fathom labor prices being anywhere near competitive to production furniture. Attached is a picture of the chairs we want. With shipping, these are $340 each. Cannot imagine a local furniture maker trying to make something like this for that price.

Never would have thought imported wood might be cheaper here but due to local seaports I am sure you are right. Less shipping. Conversely, had a discussion with a contractor in Ga. last year. His cost for PT pine was half of what we pay. Makes sense, they grow it down there and shipping is minimal.

go plant an American Chestnut tree

Agree. I'm looking for a source from local nurseries. Great story of a potential comeback for the king of the eastern forests. Thanks again for your help.

A tid bit of news I heard:

Much Teak being sold in the US is reclaimed Teak from used furniture. Due to teak becoming rare the furniture being made out of it is being taken apart from old, re-sized and what good parts are left go into production.

Rod!~

Go to a home show- before the show ends the furniture stuff goes for below bargin prices.. Dollar store's- Ocean state Job Lot had some nice teak. Look at the bargin new's for crappy funiture being sold.

Yes, much teak is being recycled as it should. But there is very little control in asia when it comes to lumber harvest as there is in the americas.

Those chairs are very nice and I agree would be costly to be made properly. I would still give it a shot, you never know.

And yes, joblot and other bargain places sell teak furniture. Just make sure it is teak. Also, the craftsmanship is usually found to be sub-par by my standards. But that dosn't mean you can't find a good deal.

This was a great thread. Forgot about this one. This is when I had time to build furniture, now I am trying to find time to post on the forums. Just thought I might bump it up in case anyone is interested.

I know this is old, but I wanted to add a comment and a question:

A friend and customer of mine owns an exotic lumber import co in Montgomery, AL. He told me that there is much confusion between suppliers and builders in correct ID of the materials and that the end owners of the project generally don't know what they have and may be told something completely wrong.

Rick, this is the place I maintain that has the cumaru, cambara (first time I've actually seen it in print is your post), spanish cedar and other species mixed in his decking. Also, he is the reason we have cumaru around here.

Who's heard of the Paulonia? Sounds a lot like the Lyptus mentioned. I remember a few years back growing "paulonia forrests" was being advocated.

My grandfather and father were great experts on all this. Both are long gone and I was not paying attention.