Sign in to follow this  
HotShot

What forms to be legal?

Hi all...

Here in California to become a legal business one must file a fictitious name with the county, run that name in 2 newspapers for 3 consecutive weeks (I believe). Is that pretty standard around the country? Oh yeah, after that you have to get a business license for each city that you will be conducting business in.

I'm asking specifically about Kentucky. My dad is getting ready to retire here in California and is moving back to KY (where we're from) and start a little business. I'm trying to get things setup for him as much as I can from here, I just don't know the procedures for back there.

Anthony,

Not like California. All you have to do is go to city hall and pay 25.00 for business license for that city and your done. What part of Kentucky is he moving to?

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

Doug...WOW it's that easy huh? Dang, California sucks :)

Hey I appreciate your quick response... We're from Ashland. Right on WV and OH border.

You may have to change name slightly, I really don't know. All I did was walk in, told them my business name, signed a piece of paper, gave them 25.00 bucks, they gave me a tempoary license, I walked out, and a week later got the real thing in the mail.

All you need to set up a business bank account here is take that license and proof of insurance to bank and your done. See if they have a Kentucky Home Bank in Ashland, Their business accounts are free.

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

We have to file a DBA (Doing Business As) and wait for approval in the event someone else is using the name. Then there was the incorporating and filing for a Federal EIN (Employer Identification Number) and then applying for a business license, taking an exam, submitting proof of insurance, credit report and paying the fee.

We took it further and applied for a federal trademark on the name which took about a year to get.

Maryland is on the cusp of DC and so everything is very beauracraticly red taped.

Rod!~

For me around here: occupational licenses in the cities/towns where business is to be performed, DBA name, and I INC. so as to get a workers comp exemption for myself. In FL, pressure washing is considered a construction trade, therefore, you MUST either have workers comp for yourself and any employee's, or file for an exemption for yourself, which can only be done as an LLC or Inc. business.