Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

aluminum siding

Question

Hello,

Have my first aluminum siding house tomorrow to do. Just got the job this AM. I have on hand, powerhouse, emulisfier plus, 12%, simple cherry, prodigy (fleet wash), and tuff stuff. Not really any oxidation or mold. Just wants it washed because he wants to paint the aluminum siding.

My question is which of these would be safest and most effective for the aluminum. I have read that it is easy to take the paint off and although he intends to paint it, I don not want to remove paint in the event he dosn't paint it for sometime.

Thanks

17 answers to this question

excellent advise. That is what need. thanks. I will try the simple cherry as advised. The prodigy is butyl base as well so that is no good.

What will the butyl do, take the paint off?

It can wreak havoc on weak paint on aluminum(so can s.h. if too strong) your rinse water will be the color of the paint, so if/when you see that change your solution. Better to not get every little thing off the siding then weaken, remove the paint or strip it with pressure. Don't be scared of cleaning aluminum just take the precautions. I did one yesterday using simple cherry and s.h. downstreamed 1gallon s.c. 1 gallon of s.h. rest water in a 5 gal. It wasn't very dirty though and very little mildew. I like e-plus for most washes but use simple cherry for cleaning around vinyl windows, aluminum and other situations where a stronger cleaner isn't neccessary. I also use it for ceilings on entry ways and porches that are painted drywall. Let us know how it goes

E Plus worked great for me many times. If anything, don't use SH!
Mike, I would like to add: I did the house next door(aluminum siding) the same day and used e-plus and more s.h. The paint was newer and there were more cocoons, dirt and mildew so the job called for that mix. It's good to have a variety and soon you'll know what the job will call for. As a general rule, if the paint is old, fading, oxidized etc. be careful with butyl and use the weakest s.h. mix to kill the mildew.

Jarrod, Yes, I do use e-plus w/s.h. on aluminum. The condition of the paint dictates what I use. I have found e-plus and s.h. hard to beat when you have heavy pollutants including mildew. It seem to activate and give the s.h a kick. My basic mix for stucco, vinyl, aluminum with good paint etc. is 4 gallons s.h. 1gallon of e-plus (powder mixed 12 0z. to a gallon) and a healthy squirt or two of foam and shine which is a quality car wash soap. Downsteamed. It puts the s.h. on the side at around 1.5% which is ideal. Sometimes I'll soap twice and rarely need to x-jet. Never had a problem with windows using e-plus at this ratio, actually they shine! Car wash soap may contribute to that. p.s. No offense on the "cleaning trex" thread.

thanks for the help guys. I use an x jet so I am thinking one gallon simple cherry,1/2 gallon 12%, 3 1/2 gallons h2o. Wish me luck. I am looking foward to putting an aluminum siding under my belt.

Depending upon what is currently on the siding will determine the chemical(s) necessary for paint prep washing.

Mildew is easily removed with Bleach and a detergent.

Oxidation can be removed by using Phosphoric acid as a first step followed quickly by a caustic detergent making a complete 2 step system. Some brushing may be necessary in areas where oxidation is stubborn. Thorough rinsing in any event will give the best results for paint application.

I also use a butyl/sodium hydroxide based detergent in my mix to remove any paint that is questionable. Yes this effects the paint currently residing on the siding but that is getting painted afterwards. This in effect is another form of etching to get the paint which originally was bonded by anodizing to accept another on top creating better adhesion.

Low pressure should be used in order to avoid a large introduction of water behind the siding which could take days to dry out and cause water damage and create a mold problem that is undetectable for years until it is a major health detriment.

Rod!~

Dan, I think you misread my ? What I asked was - Did you ever use E Plus mixed with bleach on alum siding? If so, did it get the mold off and clean well?

Thansk Rod for the help. All the detergents and cleaners I have are alkaline, what would be good acidic cleaner to purchase for future two step cleaning.

One more question, I will be doing a wood sided house as a paint prep in the next week or two. What would you recommend for a paint prep wash for painted wood.

thanks again.

The s.h. I was referring to is sodium hypochlorite not hydroxide. And yes it works very well mixed. I found that you don't need nearly as much e-plus as e-spec recommends (surprise) especially on painted aluminum that isn't a paint prep. If I used store bought bleach I would up the ratio by 40-50% as I use 10.5. Sorry for the confusion.

Thansk Rod for the help. All the detergents and cleaners I have are alkaline, what would be good acidic cleaner to purchase for future two step cleaning.

One more question, I will be doing a wood sided house as a paint prep in the next week or two. What would you recommend for a paint prep wash for painted wood.

thanks again.

Bleach, TSP and sodium metasilicate.

Thanks Ken,

The bleach, TSP and Sodium Metasilicate for two step cleaning or for paint preping wood or both.

And of course, I have yet another question.

I noticed that sunbrite supply sells "shimmer for glass cleaing" I will call them on tuesday to pick their brain but I am impatient so I figured would ask a bit here as well.

Has anyone used this and if so, do you spray on and let sit before rinsing like the windex stuff at the local home cheapo or do you scrub like normal windows.

If this works well as spraying on and wiping off, I would love to offer this as an add on. Do the windows exterior as well for $x.xx per window.

Just a thought.

The s.h. I was referring to is sodium hypochlorite not hydroxide. And yes it works very well mixed. I found that you don't need nearly as much e-plus as e-spec recommends (surprise) especially on painted aluminum that isn't a paint prep. If I used store bought bleach I would up the ratio by 40-50% as I use 10.5. Sorry for the confusion.

Dan - I get it now. I thought you said to mix E Plus with Sodium Hydroxide. Usually when people say "SH" they mean sodium hydroxide. Whew.

Yeah, my bad, I thought I used the full term and then started abbreviating. I'm glad you brought that up. Would to hear of a bunch of newcomers running around mixing 4gallons of sodium hydroxide with e-plus it all over houses and windows!

Yeah, my bad, I thought I used the full term and then started abbreviating. I'm glad you brought that up. Would to hear of a bunch of newcomers running around mixing 4gallons of sodium hydroxide with e-plus it all over houses and windows!
The missing words should be not like and spraying.......Geez.