Sign in to follow this  
fireandrain

Timber TEK Deck Stripping Project... Tips? Thanks

Question

Hi Guys,

I attempted to strip a deck of a redwood tinted stain of 3 yr. old Timber Tek.

For stripping, I used a 8oz-1gal H20 mixture of F-16 MAX. This was my first time using F-16 MAX, actually the first time using anything other than the pre-mix BEHR stripper found @ HD.

I sprayed the mixture on using a simple pump-sprayer, not my shurflo b-pack set up due to the caustic risks on skin,etc.

I allowed the F-18MAX to dwell 30 minuteds before attempting to rinse off with my PW.

The F-18 bareley made a dent. Nothing. You can't even tell that I was there at all! I've heard amazing reports about this F-18 MAX... Unfortunateley, my first project with this stuff was a bit of a dismal failure. Not sure how to proceed now...

Any idea what might have gone wrong here? Is the timber tek stain a very difficult product to strip off a redwood deck? Was my 8 oz. to 1 gallon H20 mixture of the F18 MAX not strong enough? Dwell time insufficient?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

Sure does. Found the product on the following site:

http://www.timberprocoatings.com/woodpromain.htm

No real definitive info but the following is suspicious.

Wood Pro is formulated with durable, penetrating oil resins that are carried in pure water. This formula gives you the toughness of an oil finish combined with the envirosafe qualities and easy cleanup of a water-borne product.

Fireandrain,

Mix up a quart of hot F-18, say the equivalent of 24 oz./gal. or 6 oz. of stripper in a quart of water. Apply to a heavy, intact area of the stain and let dwell for say 30 minutes. If it starts to dry out, put on some more.

If you cannot easily remove the old stain with a paint stick nudge, you have a real problem.

TimberTek is one of these new oil/water emulsion products. Waterborne. I'd agree that this is an acrylic coating, or if not, is going to be as difficult as one. I spoke with them about this product about six years ago, and they said that one of the greatest benefits of it is that is dries very hard. Really, I doubt F18 will strip this at any strength, and even if it does, the results will probably be blotchy. Naoh products have limited and inconsistant results on Waterbase/waterborne/acrylic products.

TimberTek makes a stripper of their own....have you called them and asked what strips their product?? I'll send you a PM and suggest something else that may work for this particular product (won't work on other acrylics, don't ask:))

I'm thinking I'm hjust going to try and 'overcoat' with a the matching timber tek product... The deck is largeley blotchy-free ( this client really wants the stain to be perfect'. I PW'd the deck, scuffed the existing finish up a bit, hoping I can re-coat with the same nasty stuff... I imagine I'll have some penetration issues w/ re-coating? I figure I'll need to back-brush/hand rub as well?