Sign in to follow this  
Scott Stone

True Confessions: I am a baby killer :(

Question

Dateline: June 12, 2006 Somewhere in Arizona.

I was hired by a local governemtn to clean the underside of three over passes of mud bird nests. I am thinking that it is mid-June, well past Spring, for this neck of the woods, and multiple days over 105 with a few 115's thrown in to make sure no one gets cold.

I start on said project, and notice that there are still a lot of adult birds flying around. I guess that was not too unusual, since it was a bit cooler under the bridge. So I start on the first pile of mud and knock it down with a shovel. NO problem, totally uninhabited, adn did not even have a bird fly out of it. This is a good thing.

I start the next nest, bad news, two baby birds in them. One was naked, waiting for a shower I suppose (he got it) and the other was fully feathered, but not quite flight certified. This is a bad thing. Especially since this bridge was over a dry water way that is used as a combination walkway/bicycle path. Fortuantely, not many people are out. At this point I call teh local heartless bureaucrat, and ask him if he wanted me to continue. I certainly did not want Buffy and Edgar discussing the plight of these birds lack of flight with me.

Said heartless Bureacrat told me to continue with the project, because the Head heartless bureaucrat/city worker wanted it done now. I am thinking to myself, "great, I am going to get confronted by 500 bleeding hearts about these two little birds."

I start on the next nest. There were about 35 holes in the nest, which means a potential of 35 baby birds. I start on the first nest, a bird falls from the sky, the next nest, another one falls. All told, I figure that there were about 20 baby birds on the ground by the time I get done, and I am developing an audience, with people picking up the birds to nurse them, nd get them independent. This is getting really bad.

I call the Head Heartless Bureaucrat/ city worker, and explain the situation to him. ( for what it is worth, that is what I called him on the phone. I have known him for a while, and have a really good relationship with him) He about soiled himself. Telling me to get out of there as fast as I can , and leave any mess tehre was. He also apologized up one side and down the other because, he too, thought the babies were gone.

I have yet to hear of any fallout from the loyal local citizens, but I think that there is bound to be something.

But now, my beloved children now address me as the baby killer. (except my 8 year old who will barely talk to me.)

10 answers to this question

To funny, as an ex bridge painter & sandblaster I'm laughing my a-- off. You should of sandblasted them no nest left and for sure no baby birds on the ground, just a few feathers in the road.

You can always do what some of the sicko's I worked with did, they would put a string around the pigeons neck and lower it down over someones head then pull the string real quick and then a headless pigeon would land on you flapping away. Just for the record I never did that

I think Im going to call Keith Oberman and have him put you on his nightly "Worse Person of The Day"

To funny

JL

Oh....I thought you were talking about one of the 4000 abortions that happend today. whew....

No that is somethign that I find so morally reprehensible that I would be ashamed to admit it, let alone make a bit of a joke of it.

Don't give Scotts name to Keith Oberman, send him to howard Stern instead and really ROAST HIM.

Scott I would not worry about the FBI since their 10 most wanted list is full but I surely would be worried about Homeland Security as they view any killing as a bad thing.

I suggest you carry your green card and other proof with you so when they pull you over you can show them your legally here.

Does Mr. Heartless have you rescheduled to finish this job or do you even plan to finish it or let it go?

Poor baby birds, Scott don't like you dropping white stuff on his just finished jobs so he figured he would do away with as many of you as he could before the fan spung around to him.

You accidentally killed some baby birds. I saved two today. I'll loan you some of my good karma. Life evens out.

:)

I thought of this thread when I got ready to start shooting the back of today's house and noticed two fledglings scurrying around under the bushes.

I stopped the job, *finally* caught them and put them in an empty cardboard box. I called my wife to see if she knew anything about baby birds and she reminded me that The Wild Bird Center was only a couple of miles away.

I took them over there and they said that they would get them to an expert and make sure that they were OK!

:lgangel:

Scott,

Git er done!The bleeding hearts can pack salt.We are providing for our families,or ourselves.Honorably laboring for our pay.Isn't it sick that we even have to consider such effeminante things!It can effect our business's.

You crack me up!Loved the "heartless beaurecrat"!

Scott,

Git er done.The bleeding hearts can pack salt.We are providing for our families,or ourselves.Honorably laboring for our pay.Brilliant!! CAPITALISM!!!

Isn't it sick that we are constrained by culture to consider such effemminent crap! It effects our business.

You crack me up!

Love the "heartless beurecrat"!

Sorry about the spelling.

Ok,

I repeate myself when under stress...I repeate myself when under stress...

I thought I lost my origional post,so I re...tar..posted.My apologies for any undue confusion.