Sign in to follow this  
Camelot

Interesting point about Add-on services...

Question

I have heard from several customers over the past few weeks that even though my prices are a bit higher, they are thankful that I don't have a million add on services. I market my house washes as "gutters cleaned free with every house wash" and adjust my prices accordingly. I also evaluate the amount of concrete (driveways, porches, sidewalks, etc.) and offer a total concrete price that seems to be more appealing than "$10 for this, $20 for that, and so on."

I guess my point is that when I have the chance, I try to reduce the number of add-ons and try to sell more of a "one price for everything" service. In my experience, customers seem to like this approach. Of course it can't always be avoided ("Can you hit the outside furniture while you're doing that porch?") but I try to stick with this theory. I actually had a new customer today that chose me over a competitor because he was charging $20 for a porch, $10 for a strip of stepping stones, etc. Our prices were almost identical, but he was more apt to go with the "one price for everything" approach. I'm curious to see if this applies to most of us or not. How has everyone else's experience been?

7 answers to this question

Its A Good Idea, I Do That Also, I Tell People Its Free...but In My Head Its Included...shhh Dont Tell. In Ads I Say That I Will Do A Free Housewash With Any Roof Cleaning, On The Same Ad I Have A Coupon That Says Free Driveway With Any Roof Cleaning. Small Print They Obviously Cant Be Combined,,the Reason I Actually Do This Is To Show The Customers My Services Rather Than A Long List Of...... Walkways Driveways Housewashes Etc.

IN REALITY DOING THE WHOLE HOUSE IS EASIER BECAUSE WHEN YOU DO A ROOF THE WALLS AND DRIVEWAY NEED TO BE CLEANED ANYWAY...BY TELLING THE CUSTOMER THEY WILL GET ONE OF THESE FOR FREE USUALLY THEY DONT EVEN SHOP AROUND..

Three all in one packages that have different things they include like gutter scrubing and driveways. Bets of all worlds. Upcharge for more service yet still don't bog a customer down with a la carte services.

That's intersting to me. Around here, people want to see a line item for everything you do. We constantly get asked to have things broken out ( we do this anyway but they do not know that since they ask before we hand them the paperwork) so they can see how much to wash various things...seal various things...so they can pick and choose what they can afford to do at that time, based on what is most important to them.

Beth

We have the Ale carte clients here. At one time we did bundle things up but had too many who would insist on haggling the price...

"what if I only have you do this...and not this...and can you only wash one side here and how much would that cost..." :bullistic

As Beth mentioned, most want to see what each item costs just like retail receipts show.

Rod!~

I know Ive lost bids when listing the services seperately, especially when they have a long list. adding the gutters into the price of a roof usually works better than pricing seperately. I also wait till im on the job to ask them if they want their concrete cleaned for whatever$ ammount. that seems to work a little better for me also.

The only things I break out are Roofs, Driveways, patios and decks, ect..

If they ask about some patio furniture, some brick,block,concrete stepping stones I don't add them to the price, I do add sidewalks but not a few steps. I look at it this way, its not going to add any time, I'm already there and its good customer relations.

just my .02 worth

howard that right we just add on roofs , sideways, driveways . house and gutter cleaning are price together. couple steps only take 10 mins that amount of time will not kill you , if you are going to get business from this person and maybe they will time somebody about your business