Sign in to follow this  
andrew hartigan

need help!! xjetting oxalic/?????

Question

I did a 2500 sq foot stucco house today. It had bad rust stains on stucco from irrigation. I went through and xjetted my house mix on the whole house/gutters etc etc

I then went back through with a pump up sprayer and spot treated oxalic acid on all of the rust stains. Then i sprayed off with water. It got rid of most of the rust stains but it still doesnt look like i want it to. There is a little bit of streaking on both sides of the house from the oxalic. (strong stuff)

I told the guy i would be back tomorrow morning to put on another coat of oxalic to even everythig up.

Question: Can I xjet oxalic acid or is it too harsh???? I have m5 xjet with proportion kit. I ordered pure oxalic acid from the chemistry store. Need to know what ratio to mix (water/oxalic) in the xjet pail and if i should put it on with a proportioner or not?? I really appreciate the help cause i dont think doing another coat with the pump up will help as i cant cover rthe whole side evenly.

ps when you say 4lbs to 5 gallons oxalic, how do you measure the pounds???

any other ways of figuring it out.

thanks again guys

andrew

10 answers to this question

I think you may want to reevaluate your house washing procedure,washing and rinsing one section at a time,then applying ox afterwards.previous post on oxalic are very informative. As far as mixing it I use a scale but have also wondered what the actual cup(or whatever) to water amount would be. hope this helps

I use an empty corn can. 5 and 1/2 cans equals 4 pounds or oxalic.

I have found that I need to apply the oxalic first to get rid of the rust. If not, the acid will just neutralize rather than anything else.

Find an opaque container that you can add product to. Also you will need a scale that measures ounces.

Add product to the container and weigh at 2pz intervals and mark the container. Do this until you have a full container with measure lines incremented on it.

The oxalic may need to be neutralized by adding an alkaline detergent to even out the spots you mentioned. Do a test spot first before you apply to the whole side. It may have been too strong to begin with.

Rod!~

Dustin, Peas or a carrot can may work. I will see what I have in my recycling bin for empties and do a test for you. I will keep you posted, A test this indepth may take some time.

oxalic should be applied before house wash or after house wash has been completly rinsed.

4 lbs to a 5 is a proper mix for xjetting but can be to strong for using a pump up. I use it strong in pump up or to brush , but you take a risk using it that stong. I screwed up one stucco home using it a 4lbs and pump up, it tooks some of the color out of the stucco it left it much lighter. Sometimes its better to use a couple or several weaker mixes of Ox that a strong application

Still ox is a great tool

JL

I definitely rinsed the housewash off completely before I started using the oxalic.

I went back today to touch it up wtih the xjet using 4lb to five gallon mix with no proportioner and it worked perfectly. Completely got rid of all the streaking. The customer came outside when i first got there and was soo excited that I got the rust stains off in the first place and thought it looked great. He couldnt beleive i was going back through to even things up. Worked out good cause he owns a mortgage company and is going to give free housewashes etc to clients who purchase/refinance. Told me that he was going to get the house painted but there is no need now. Felt good , another job well done. Thanks again for the advice/help.

andy