Sign in to follow this  
Roger Oakley

Indian Sandstone (UK)

Question

Here's a before and after photo of some Indian sandstone I've just cleaned.

200 sq mts. It took 60 liters of Sodium Hydrochloride, to clear the Black Mould, that seems to be around these houses. Also one of the worst water pressure's I have come across (no pressure) Owners want the Teak furniture restored at a later date.

Roger

post-1658-137772161394_thumb.jpg

post-1658-137772161398_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Roger,

Looks great, is Indian Sandstone from India?

A quick conversion shows ~ 2125 sq. ft. and 16 gals. of bleach. Did this 16 gals. include water to dilute the bleach or are you saying it took 60 liters of say 12.5% sodium hypochlorite? If so, that "black mould" must be some really tough stuff.

Roger,

Looks great, is Indian Sandstone from India?

A quick conversion shows ~ 2125 sq. ft. and 16 gals. of bleach. Did this 16 gals. include water to dilute the bleach or are you saying it took 60 liters of say 12.5% sodium hypochlorite? If so, that "black mould" must be some really tough stuff.

Rick,

It was neat 15% bleach, Black Mould can be a pain to shift, it really gets deep into whatever you are cleaning. I had tried a couple of weaker mixes but to no avail.

Some Indian Sandstone the real expensive/good quality stuff does come from India, but there is a lot of "copies" about that have been no closer to India then the local take-away india resturant. This one cost somewhere in the region of £5-6000 GBP, so I really needed to treat this one will kid gloves.

I hope you suggested sealing to keep it that nice.

Hi Jon,

You don't really seal Indian sandstone, it's to porous for one, plus sealing would take away the feel of the stone make it sort of false.

This stuff is really just high maintenance, needs to be cleaned say twice a year to keep it looking this good, this one had not been cleaned since new about 3-5 years owner thinks.

Roger