Sign in to follow this  
smokey51

Deck Preventive Maintenance

Question

As part of a package I want to give my customers after restoring their deck, I want to give my customers a preventive maintenance list they can perform before the next mainteance stain. I have come up with a short list off the top of my bald head but would appreciate any ideas that you may have, so fire away.

Terry

4 answers to this question

Terry,

Depends on what stain you use. Sodium percabonate cleaners can partially remove some oil based stains. Not good for Ready Seal. As you are from NC, I would assume mold and mildew can be a problem.

A 1.5 - 2% sodium hypochloride (bleach) mix with a touch of detergent and a gentle scrub with a natural bristle brush will do. Follow with a hose rinse, and rinse well.

Actually should be good for any stain. You are restaining every two years?

Rick, I try to use WoodTux when I can and Ready Seal if I have too. Just my preference. I'm thinking retaining every three years with WoodTux and two years with Ready Seal.

If the deck gets that dirty before hand, the customer can call me back and I will be glad to do a maintenance wash for them.

As far as preventive maint is concerned, I was thinking along the lines of not storing metal on the deck, raising flower pots up off the deck so dirt and water do not collect underneath them, keeping the leaves off, etc.

Maybe I used the wrong title.

Terry

Those are important points to bring up and it's good to help make sure the customer knows the pitfalls of using their deck for other things. We suggest caster wheel trivets for their potted plants and avoiding using cast iron furniture as it will leave black rust marks.

Giving a list of items to attend to helps them to get the most out of the work you do and makes future work easier and in some cases less expensive to maintain.

Rod!~