Sign in to follow this  
Kory

Can you say SSSSLLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW!

Question

We have very little work comming in right now. How are you guys doing? I have Fliers postcards and newsletters out. Now Im thinking of doing door to door. I know kids are back to school and gas is up. This month is sucking if it weren't for my commercial accounts I would be up the creek without a paddle. Sorry I had to vent.

23 answers to this question

look into cleaning motor homes and rv's I know that your area an south of you has owners coming in town in the fall that have this done. from what i hear it is good money. I ran into a guy here that cleans them from tampa to miami. he works here during summer and goes down south in the fall. it also sound like they are accustomed to having them cleaned so this might be something that would work for fill ins.

I kept my two full time guys busy and did a lot of paperwork the first two weeks of July. I didn't mind doing just 2-3 jobs per week by myself during that slow time because it was so freakin' hot. July did not have the growth I expected. I booked a ton of jobs the last couple of weeks so we are back on track but I may have to adjust my overall projections for season '06. I laid off my part timer now I have to bring in another one.

One crew - good profit, very manageable

Two crews - mediocre profit, growing pains, employee issues. This is the time of growth that is always the hardest. Slow times scare the heck out of you.

I had such poor response to my advertizing the last couple of months,(none, zero, zip and nada) that I just pulled all of it. Ive had 1 residential job in 2 months. In fact it seams the only calls I get are from advertizers!

I figure Ill start advertizing again in september. Maybe by then people will be ready to spend money again. Thank God for my normal summertime commercial business!!!

For me, he last week of July and the first week or so of August are usually a little slower, based on 6 full seasons. This year was the same. Overall, business has increased almost 30% over last year.

One of the reasons for the increase has been the housing market. For the last few years, people hardly vacuumed when selling, let alone having the house washed. I have had realtors coming out of the woodwork, wanting everything done yesterday. Not only the house, but also roofs. If you are not building relationships with realtors, you are missing the boat, but be ready to get to their listings asap.

One of the reasons for the increase has been the housing market. For the last few years, people hardly vacuumed when selling, let alone having the house washed. I have had realtors coming out of the woodwork, wanting everything done yesterday. Not only the house, but also roofs. If you are not building relationships with realtors, you are missing the boat, but be ready to get to their listings asap.

John

Is it the realtors that are hiring you to help them make a sale? Or are the realtors talking the sellers/homeowners into hiring you?

Just wandering because around here when someone puts their home on the market the last thing on their mind is sinking more money into it, even if it may help it sell, they just don't care. And as far as the realtors, they don't make enough money as it is, let alone hiring me to wash a house they just have listed, and may or may not even sell.

Kory

Slow here too man, hang in there. I wish I had some commercial accounts to fall back on but I don't yet.

Its been very slow here as well. Last week was a good week, and this week is looking good as well.

I just dont know what the magic touch some of you on this board have. Is it because you've been around 5 years or longer? Is it because you direct mail the same sub. 8 times a year? I read on one post where someone sent out 1000 postcards and so far they have booked $xx,000 worth of work.

Is the main key to get into a newspaper that has circulation in it daily? I've read where another guy was doing this fulltime last year (his first year) and he knocked down 50 grand.

Sorry for whining I guess, but I just get depressed then motivated when I see someone doing similar things that I do and they have so much success at it and then I try the same thing again for a couple of times and I keep striking out.

I am holding off on my next marketing blitz until towards the end of August. I am looking for September to be a banner month ( I am trying to be optimistic here). If all goes well I should be able to work up until the first of Dec like I did last year. But I know July was llllooouussssyyy!!

It is the same thing over here on the east coast,1 or 2 calls per week. Some of my customers I talked to say they are waiting for hurricane season to dwindle down. 2 years in a row I would do there house and they would call me back to do it again. I sent out mailers and had 1 call for an estimate it was lower than what I normally would do, she said she would let me know lol.

Don, time in business is a key factor to sustained work. A guy that has ten years reputation is going to have a very strong customer base, a bunch of trucks on the road etc etc. The key is not to egt discouraged, learn al you can about marketing and to stay in tune with what today's customers are seeking. And of course, I know I am a broken record, learning how to sell every job to its fullest potential.

My first year doing residential work I know I didn't do $50,000 and I had the advantage of having a head start from commercial business (restaurant owners often own nice houses). Targeted marketing, persistance, area domination, building referrals customer by customer, getting your margins right, sales ability, all of these contribute to success. Growth for me has been very rapid and for that I am thankful. My background in owning businesses has been helpful. When you start getting the nice size jobs, you can breathe easier but I tell everyone whom asks...

Write a business plan and generally stick to it. The quicker you succumb to adding and taking away services and jumping your marketing efforts from this to that, the quicker you fast forward to three years later and you are still floundering. I am happy with residential work and think I can hit a magic milestone with it next year. This area is good. Some of your areas might not be as producing in which case exploring commercial work might not be a bad idea.

July was slow for me as well. the first 3 weeks were dead. The last week picked up just before I left for a vacation and my grandfather was dying of parkinsons. I didn't get to return a bunch of calls because I was trying to spend time wiht him. but since, the calls keep coming in. Yellow pages have only gotten me one call and one job, a local once a week paper gets me a fair amount of calls, yard signs a few calls. Direct mailings have been the best so far with a good return. And in the last 2 weeks or so, referrals have been the best source. I have been getting very pleased customers who are referring me and thats the best. Those people are not going to shop around if their friend or family was pleased.

the one thing I have learned which is probably common sense is don't put all your advertising in one basket. You need to get your name in front of people from differnt avenues. If someone sees your name 3 different ways it shows them you have success to afford the advertising and that people are using your service. Not to mention, some people don't look in the yellow pages, some don't get the newspaper and so on.

I just sent out target area mailings using a jumbo post card that I will post in the other thread and on average each area costs about $30 to blanket. I will follow up with a yard sign or two in the area to help them remember who I am.

For being dead in july, I am now booked 8 days out at 3 days of work a week as this is all I have time for. and if I wanted to low ball I could get 5 days a week.

I picked up guerrilla marketing, so far great book. great advice.

FYI, I have spent 7% of my gross on advertising and that includes buisness cards, truck magnets, signs, papers, mailing, yellow pages, flyers, parade programs, etc.

It is the same thing over here on the east coast,1 or 2 calls per week. Some of my customers I talked to say they are waiting for hurricane season to dwindle down. 2 years in a row I would do there house and they would call me back to do it again. I sent out mailers and had 1 call for an estimate it was lower than what I normally would do, she said she would let me know lol.

Why don't you come over here and work with your partner?

Well, an approach to a market can be vertical or horizontal. Ken, I know you are all over this.

I came into washing from painting. So, many readers will think that I am a painter looking to make a quick buck washing. A little truth in that. However, a number of years ago an acquaintance who is much smarter than I, explained his business model to me. I quickly understood his position, passed through a few gyrations, and am now making money washing. His position was to give people what they need. The difference is from; 'I am a painter', to 'I serve the people in my sphere of influence'.

Perhaps the hardest paradigm to own is that we are what we chose to be. And, the results of our choice is our reward. To expect less or more is foolish. We, as self-determined business people, choose our market and how we approach it. If we are not getting the response that we desire from the market, who is responsible? I'll tell you from many unsuccessful years of doing business, it is not the market's fault. It is a heavy burden, but the business person that accepts responsibility for everything, is the successful one.

I am aware that I am preaching to the choir, AND that many readers are doing better than I. However, there are readers who are a little less experienced than I am. I hope to take a few bruises out of the learning curve.

Peace.

Actually we are hearing the same here. We have agreements with HOA to clean the roofs, but they are waiting for the huricane season to end.

Ever since Jean and Frances and not to mention Wilma ripped my area a new one, it has been tough.

Nobody Is Spending Any Money Due To Gas Prices !!! Residential Work Is Way Down In My Area This Year !!!

Shawn

Gas prices are where they've been for quite a while now, with a bit of fluctuation up and down. I think that's somewhat a factor, but not a large one. You notice you don't have the screaming and yelling about $3.00+ gas prices now like you did a year or more ago. People are used to it...they've adapted, for the most part. The soft housing market also has something to do with it. I think it is more the economy in general, and people's uncertainty about how things will go in the next year or so that keep them from spending on unnecessary things (and yes, PW is necessary, but it can also wait, whereas a leaky roof or broken AC can't)

I have never done a mailer. When I first started, I went door to door with flyers (about 300) and got no calls. I then went door to door to that same neighborhood and knocked on doors of those houses that looked dirty. Very high closing rate.

Initially, I used a yard sign. Now, There is no way I could keep track of them. The ones I first used were like the realtors' signs and cost almost $100 each. Some were stolen, one was packed-up and moved with a homeowner (!) and several I forgot where I put them and the homeowners never called me to remind me to come and pick them up. (Did they throw them out or what?)

Most of my business has always been referrals. I ask my customers to tell their friends and promise to give them the same quality service. In the last few years, I have started putting VERY small ads in a few of the area phone books - the smaller (more local) the better. In the yellow Book, I have a small ad and coupon that costs about $1000/yr and in the Community Phone Book, I have the same ad/coupon for about $600/yr. Both ads do very well. All ads refer people to my website.

Do you wear a uniform? Does you equipment impress? Do you have nice signage on your equipment? All of these things help and have all been cited numerous times as the reason people have hired me.

As far as the realtors go, some hire me directly - and pay me directly. Some call me to do the work and the homeowner pays and some refer me to the homeowner and I work directly with them. (Find a realtor that sells in the nicer neighborhoods and maybe offer to do his house for free.)

Nobody Is Spending Any Money Due To Gas Prices !!! Residential Work Is Way Down In My Area This Year !!!

Shawn

I know what your saying Shawn, it does seem like some have stopped spending due to gas prices. But I think that the amount of people who were actually thinking of hiring a PWer and then decided not to because of the gas prices is probably very few. I am not rich or well off by any means and I have to pay these ridiculous gas prices, but have I stopped doing the things I've always done.....nope. I still spend money on my hobbies, I still pay for services, I still purchase the same needs and wants I always have. The only thing different is I complain about the gas prices. I refuse to believe that Joe Blow the homeowner that makes 100,000 or more a year is going to let mold and mildew take over his beautiful home because of gas prices. I am good friends with a few guys who make 6 digits a year and I never, never hear them complain about gas prices. Nor have I seen their spending come to a hault because of it. Just my .02 cents.

As far as the realtors go, some hire me directly - and pay me directly. Some call me to do the work and the homeowner pays and some refer me to the homeowner and I work directly with them. (Find a realtor that sells in the nicer neighborhoods and maybe offer to do his house for free.)

Thanks for the insight John, good stuff.

I think a lot of the spending decrease is due th higher prices all the way around. Not only gas prices, but in florida the skyrocketing insurance rates, along with other factors. Last year my phone rang regularly, this year its not. AC contractors are not as busy as last year, but the granite countertop company is swamped! Go figure.

My belief is this. lets say you have an income of 50K/yr. last years expensed were 45k, this year they jumped to 47k. people will see that as a huge jump, even though its not a big percentage. so they hold off on some things they would normally do or would want to do. After a time the shock of that jump wears off and they realize they still make more than their spending. Their income is still there and even just a 4% raise pushes them up to that $5000 cushion again.

I beleive the calls will begin again soon, if the above theory makes any sense. (thay damn well better.)