Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

Anyone familiar with ABR products?

Question

Just curious, has anyone seen or heard of these products? I first got wind of this when some pressure washer was leaving brochures in my neighborhood. Here is a link: http://www.abrp.com/ They seem to use a product that is oxalic based for restoring weathered wood as opposed use caustic solutions that I see paraded on this website.

-Dan

11 answers to this question

I have not used that particular line - I've heard it smells HORRIBLE. As for treating weathered wood with caustics, I don't think you are accurate in your statement. A large number of the woodies on this board use percarbonates to treat weathered unstained wood - a chemical that is far from caustic.

Yes , I use ABR. Some of the best stuff for restoring old weathered wood. It smells but the results are worth it. Very pricey!

Some of my best restoration jobs are with ABR. I did one two weeks ago.

Celeste - I have read many times especially from Beth and Rod, about using diluted mixtures of HD-80 to clean up weathered wood instead of bleach, something like 3 oz. per gallon.

James - I am very curious which products you use from ABR and at which point in the restoration process. My paint store was going to give me a gallon of the acid cleaner for free - just so I could try it out. I felt guilty and told him I had no decks scheduled so it would just be sitting on my shelf, so I didn't take it.

-Dan

My guys revolted against the smell and swore to quit if I didn't change products because they hated having to wear the NIOSH Respirators. The customers also complained that the smell made it very undesirable to use their deck for in some cases up to 3 months after the application.

I don't know if the formulation has changed since (been about 6 years ago) but I still wasn't impressed with the product then anyway.

Take that for what it's worth as a point of consideration.

Rod!~

I tell them up front about the smell( customers). The results are I"ve saved the customer from rebuilding their deck. My first decks in the wood biz are ABR"s which I still maintain. I use it based on the needs of the wood. The rebulking and lubrication of the wood fibers is unmatched.

The National Parks service selected ABR to save and perserve The Totem Poles in our park systems.

The acid can be used on weathered wood but is not great. It is good as a nuetrailizor and for tannins.

I use it based on the needs of the wood. The rebulking and lubrication of the wood fibers is unmatched.

I ahve never used the product, Jim. What sets it apart. i have had several decks that were like matchsticks and could have used soemthing like you described. How is this done with a sealer?

It is sort like using a heavy weight oil combined with a Paint pigment. A true semi transparent stain. The pigment fills the voids. It's like using molasses on your pancakes instead of maple syrup.

Yeah, it's loaded with linseed oil too. At least thats the last formulation I used and it was promoted in their brochures. Their proclamation to the linseed oil being there to replace what was lost once the bark was removed.

Rod!~

Dan,

Hate to bring up an old post, but at ABR Products we hope to keep in touch with any restoration discussions.

We dont typically promote our heavy caustic solutions for weathered wood restoration. Unless remediating heavy organic problems or prior coatings, we see good results by just using an oxalic acid blend (the X-180 Weathered Wood Restorer). Oxalic acid is non-caustic and is commonly marketed as wood bleach/brightener. In stronger solutions, and combined with a release agent of soap (our blend of x-180), we see great results in washing dirty wood and removing the dead layer of grey wood. Its is certainly not a miracle product but works well for mild restoration jobs and or a neutralizer.

Natural Seal, our separate line of Wood Preservatives, is where the historically strong smell comes. (Note* in 2010 ABR changed the provider of fungicides, significantly improving smell) Believe it or not, a ton of complaints came in when we improved the smell. An actual quote, "We liked the old smell, cause we knew it was working!" Thanks to some recent advantages in our providers we have been able to slightly improve our preservative's results while still helping the smell. Please note smell has improved but the exterior grades should still never be used indoors.

The smell is better, but it is still part of our product and is a large reason for the product longevity we claim!

Hope this helps any future readers.

Ben

Just curious, has anyone seen or heard of these products? I first got wind of this when some pressure washer was leaving brochures in my neighborhood. Here is a link: American Building Restoration Products - Franklin, Wisconsin They seem to use a product that is oxalic based for restoring weathered wood as opposed use caustic solutions that I see paraded on this website.

-Dan