Sign in to follow this  
cdposey26

Leaking Pump

I have a General TS 2021 pump that is leaking on the underside of the pump. From reading the trouble shooting guide I gather that it is more than likely the packing or plungers. I just wanted to get some feedback about if you agree that is what the problem is and where I would go about finding the best prices on repair kits to fix the problem. Also is there any special tools needed to replace the packing or plungers. Thanks for the input. I hope its nothing major.

I believe it is coming from where the two meet. I guess it is possible that it could be leaking out of a different area and just dripping off the bottom. I can not really tell I will look at it closer tomorrow. Everything seems to be working fine still, but I figure its not really or its just a matter of time until it gets worse.

I would bet that your pump needs to be repacked (seals). I went through this last week. About every 150 hours the seals will go out. If you dont already have your unloader plumbed back to the tank, you will want to do so. If it is not, the water in the pump gets hot when in bypass, heating up your plungers and when you pull the trigger again you let in a bunch of cold water, which is hard on the plungers. Just like putting an ice cube in water. If the plungers are cracked, replace with porcelin ones, if they are not already. Hope this helps. Feel free to call

JBenson is right about the ice cube cenario....however your bigest concern should be your head cracking in this case. It can happen.

Unloaders are a must if you wish to save big bucks.

Unfortunately my feeling is that you've already have a cracked head. Blown packings and/or check valves will not cause your pump to leak. This will result in pulsing water pressure which makes your hose vibrate.

Your problem is either cracked plungers or head.

When you remove your head you will have to remove your packing (more than likely) in order to find the crack. Usually they crack inside the packing chamber.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

It will leak if you are pressure feeding water ito the head and may not cavatate because you are able to supply more water than required and the excess flows out of the opening. The easiest way to check your ceramic plungers is to pull the head from the pump. Remove the 8 small bolts and pull gently. Then rub your dirty greasy hands on the plunger and wipe them off. If you see a black line on the plunger there is a crack and it should be replaced. Your packings are more than likely worn out and should be replaced as well. Heat or excessive pressure will cause them to wear. I have had some auctually turned inside out from a customer removing part of his unloader which caused the pump to build so much pressure the packings literally flipped.

Jesse if your packings are only lasting 150 hours you may have another problem. with the return line to the tank you should be getting 100 times that use out of them. Give me a call and describe what is happening to them and I will help you get some more life out of them.