Sign in to follow this  
twlinks

3" Spider

Question

We came across this friendly little critter yesterday in the bushes on a job we were working on. Wasp spray and liquid Sevin turned him/her into a petrified science project...heheh. Needless to say, we didn't work IN those bushes the rest of the day.

post-1683-137772163096_thumb.jpg

19 answers to this question

Thad...would you tell that to my fiance/partner please? Actually, it's not even very comforting to me...lol. Spiders and snakes...the only good ones are dead ones as far as I'm concerned.

Yep, you just killed a harmless little pest eater... When we were kids, the urban legend was that when it wrote your name in it's web you died.

FWIW, brake cleaner spray kills spiders/bugs faster than anything I have ever seen and w/o staining most surfaces. I keep a can handy for carpenter bees and black widows.

We called them Banana Spiders when I was a kid.

Banana Spiders we see them all the time around here this time a year. We just did a house thats vacant for over a year. I ran into 2 of the webs with one spider about that size an inch from my face, freaked me for a minute. There was at least 20 of them that I saw

It's just a Golden Orb spider.

They won't hurt you. I used to catch them when I was a kid.

I have a friend who claims to have been bitten by one.

I hate them. I won't kill them if I don't need to, but they love building their webs between trees, and some jobs I do are pretty wooded around the house. I just HATE walking into a web I didn't see and wondering where that joker went to...And their webs can dang near catch a person!

Just spraying them with water will usually run them off, and a stick will get rid of the web. No reason to kill them if you don't have to!

Yep, you just killed a harmless little pest eater... When we were kids, the urban legend was that when it wrote your name in it's web you died.

FWIW, brake cleaner spray kills spiders/bugs faster than anything I have ever seen and w/o staining most surfaces. I keep a can handy for carpenter bees and black widows.

Works on carpenter bees???

I sprayed a carpenter bee hole with wasp spray, and out comes the female, falls on the ground and starts rolling around. Did that for about 10 minutes, then flew away. Did I mention I also saturated her with spray?

I'd love something that would knock those things down. I HATE bees/wasps/etc. Some call it an irrational fear, I think it is completely rational...:lgbugeyes That's one critter I will kill anytime it gets near me.

I have a front porch to do today, did the back deck yesterday. Went through 3 cans of bee spray trying to kill bee's under front porch when I was washing it, but still see lots of them going under the porch through the lattice. I am thinking that I will stain the floor today and go back at night to get the face board where the bee's are going in. You cant see where the nest is due to the lattice around the porch. I told the customer about them and said that it would be nice if she could get rid of them before I came back to stain, but she didn't.

What is everyones policy in a situation like this? This is the first time that I have run into a situation where I couldn't kill the bee's due to the fact that they are up under the front porch and behind the lattice. I am glad that the house is only 10 minutes up the road, due to the extra trip. I hope that I don't wake them up when I go back at night to stain the board. (Thats the bee's, don't care if I wake the customer.)

When I was little I lived in Ethiopia. Our mission had a little beach on a lake that we camped at regularly. One day we were walking through the woods and ran across a web that spanned the trail. web had to be 150-200sf!! anyway i grabbed a couple strands of web. couldnt beleive how strong it was Couldnt break it even thought it wasnt more than 10 strands.

Anyway, when we got aroung to looking for the spider, we backed up real quick! I swear it was 6-8 inches across including legs. looked like something youd see in the horror movies. needless to say, we were more carefull to look ahead and up other than watch the path in front of our feet. I still have a fear of spiders, (there were more instances than that with spiders,) but at least I can now get close enough to squash them.

Jquick,

If it's not too late a fogger might work depending on the ventilation. Also, Due to the moisture is it a good idea to stain at night? I come across wasps a lot. If I'm out of wasp spray housewash with SH works nicely just keep track of where they dropped in case they are still "break dancing" for a while.

Rob,

Lol...ain't gonna happen here. I subscribe to the "The only good spider/snake is a dead one!"

Some snakes are good...they keep the bad ones away.

Spiders eat other destructive pests. Spiders are fine, as long as they're not on me.

We called them Banana Spiders when I was a kid.

We called 'em writing spiders. This is a banana spider. I have more than once found a banana spider attached to my face when I walked thru their web while following a dark trail in Florida. I'm not afraid of spiders/snakes, etc but a 3" spider crawling on your face in the dark will make you do the "I'm on fire" dance for sure