Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Profitable?

Hi,

I have thought of adding window cleaning to my service, would like to get an idea of price range, technique.

How many of you guys and gals do windows for your commerical/industrial accounts.

Home owners are not my thing so I am sure prices would be different.

Jon

Yes, I'd say windows are profitable! From everything I've read, a good rate is around $2.50 per window per side downstairs, and a bit more for upstairs windows.

My first job on my own was to do the windows for a homeowner and pressurewash a small patio. It took around 3 1/2 hours, and paid $225.00, most of which was the windows. Not bad for something that has literally NO overhead. $10.00 in cleaning chemicals will last you for a LOT of windows, and the squeegees don't wear out that fast and it is very cheap to replace the rubber when they do. A guy could literally get into window washing on a $30.00 budget. A couple squeegees, some good lint free rags, some soap and water, and a good polishing cloth and you're in business!

I agree with Beth, it is a great add-on, especially for someone like you who is out at night at commercial properties anyway. Get them to pay you to do their windows while you're there!

Man I'm glad you don't wash windows around here,

Outside only: flat pane $5-$5.50 per regular size window

french Pane $7-$7.50 per regular size window

Outside/Inside: add 35%

Storm windows: $12-$15 per window regardless of size

Gav

No storm windows here, no french at restaurants and department stores, or none I have come across yet.

Think I will give it a shot since I am there already so no extra driving time involved.

Thanks for the help guys and gals.

Jon

Tony your silly, meet me in Vegas for a drink, on me, Water!

Truthfully I doubt there is enough to spong up if done right.

I have not done any, still looking into it but did take my squeeze and do a few free wipe downs after rinsing jobs. Need new squeeze or more practice, or both.

Jon

Windows are easy to do. All you need is a bucket and a couple diffeant sizes of squeezes. I use a little Dawn dish soap in the water. You can make some easy money, (if they pay). I have done a few houses but I do not think I could get $5 to $7.50 a window. Maybe I'll bid at that and see if it flies.

I used to make literally thousands of dollars washing windows when I started in business 14 years ago. I quit doing them about 8 years ago due to the amount of time it took versus money I could make doing other easier jobs. Yeh it may sound crazy but after you've done then for 8 years then we'll talk. <G> It's alot harder to do when there are storm windows and all the up and down on ladders and moving ladders all the time. My knees just couldnt take it anymore for the money I made. It can be great money but I mainly got to busy to be able to schedule appointments for the jobs when I could make even more doing other types of work with no appointments or having to worry about employees stealing from the clients. Never happened but its still something to think about.

Jon,

I have only done a few commercial windows, but they were in rather difficult locations. I charged something like $10-$15 per window. Each window was 4' wide x 6' high. The reason I charged so much was the safety factor. It only took about 1 minute per window, but it took 10 minutes to get to each window. I had to set up a ladder and secure it on a 50-60 degree slope beside the windows, which were 15-20 feet above the ground. Talk about stress-sweat!!!!

I sold it as part of a pressure washing job, so the total profit was pretty good. Like others have said, it is SO cheap to do windows. I use the ZEP tinted window cleaner because it is alcohol-based and evaporates very quickly and leaves no streaks.

I also do them for my residential customers, but I include it as part of the house-washing. I had (initially) some customers question why I had certain things that were included in the house wash and not others. Example: Gutters and siding, but not windows or trim. So, I now sell a total wash package. I don't give an option of washing the siding and not the windows. They never see the price breakdown. My final price may be a little higher than my competitors, but my customers like the fact that they don't have to worry about the final result. When I tell them all that is included in their price, it looks like (and is) a lot more than the local competition does!!

But, you asked for price. I usually charge around $2 for the bottom windows, up to $5-$10 for the upper windows. Size is generally not as important as convenience to me.

Ryan H.

Originally posted by Henrybockman

I quit doing them about 8 years ago due to the amount of time it took versus money I could make doing other easier jobs.

I did the same thing. I would consider doing commercial windows though, but I don't go after it.

I started cleaning residential windows three years ago and I am now slowly changing over to do only power washing.Its all about the money issue for me.In my area I started three years ago at $5.00 per window.The other companies i checked out where at these prices.I guess if all your employees are day labor for $50 a day you can do this.I just saw one company for $4.00 per window next year i guess they will be at $3.00 The only windows i touch now are houses $1 million plus thats where i can get my window prices which are much higher than $5.00 I guess in a few years those guys will get into pw but i hope to have a good customer base by then.I forsee the borders falling in all areas in time so watch out.

Make your own window cleaner using ammonia, 2 drops of any dish soap and a bit of vinager. I used to use those squirt spray bottles or sometimes a pump up sprayer with an old towel.

I charged $6pw in/out without storms for residential. I just got tired of climbing ladders all the time.

Henry and anyone else,

When you cleaned storm windows on 2nd floor building and transferred the glass to the ground for cleaning, what was your method of transferring? Suction cups, clamps, apparatus...?

I've been asked to quote before and have avoided cleaning glass because unsure of this type handling.

Thank you,

-Scott