Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Bad Oxidation

Question

Check this place out, the faux siding is vinyl that is only 7 years old. I never seen vinyl siding like this before. The home owner wanted to know if I could restore it. I thought it was painted at 1st but it was not. The house is 1 block from the ocean and the oxidation on the siding is so thick. The home owner said his contractor said the siding is a life time siding and this home owner has never had the place washed. I told him we could clean it for thousands,. He's calling the manufacturer to see what they recommend.

The decks are a mess too, he says he sprays them every few years, overspray on many parts of this house. This is a million & 1/2 property in a well off section and he just let his parttime cottage home go to waste.

Some funky oxidation, thicker than I've ever seen. Nasty stuff

JL

6 answers to this question

E-plus or premier will strip that off but if the siding is deteriorating that bad I would be very careful. From what you describe it almost sounds like a dry rot type situation. Like the cheap plastic furniture gets after a few years in the sun.

Jeff,

I did a house yesterday that had that exact type and color siding. It too is heavily oxidized. This was actually the third time I have washed it and it was in the same condition the first time.

Since I downstream, I have no problem with the oxidation - I just clean it. Since I am not putting any pressure on the siding, I am not leaving any tell-tale wand marks. The customer is aware of the oxidation issue, but likes the look of the siding. When I wash, I am adding some liquid wax to my mix and washing at about 125 degrees.

Jeff,

I did a house yesterday that had that exact type and color siding. It too is heavily oxidized. This was actually the third time I have washed it and it was in the same condition the first time.

Since I downstream, I have no problem with the oxidation - I just clean it. Since I am not putting any pressure on the siding, I am not leaving any tell-tale wand marks. The customer is aware of the oxidation issue, but likes the look of the siding. When I wash, I am adding some liquid wax to my mix and washing at about 125 degrees.

John,

This man wants the oxidation removed, It used to be more of a cream color siding. Its a flipping mess. I dont think he's going to want to pay my price once I figure out how to do this

Jeff

Jeff, I have noticed these shake type designs not holding up well too. And the home owner's pay a bundle for the look. I think the material is to thick. I have seen mildew getting into the surface of a three year old job.

Jeff, I have noticed these shake type designs not holding up well too. And the home owner's pay a bundle for the look. I think the material is to thick. I have seen mildew getting into the surface of a three year old job.

It is very thick stuff, I wonder if that has something to do with it

JL