Sign in to follow this  
Curb Appeal

chemical drum pumps

Hi all,

Just found a place near me to buy 12.5% in 55 gal drums or 300 gal totes. I have no way to move these drums or totes around so here's my idea:

company will load drum or tote into my truck. I will transfer chlorine to a storage drum or tote when I get home. I will transfer amount needed for job to chem tank on trailer on a daily basis.

Is my idea flawed? Any better way to do this? And most importantly, what pump should I use to transfer the chlorine? I'm looking at this one right now:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200280024_200280024

Thanks...

I'm really excited about finding this source. They are less than 2 minutes from my house & they have great prices!

55gal drum - $90

300gal tote - $390

50lb TSP - $29

As long as the drum you are transfering from is higher than the receiving drum,a pump style drum pump from pressuretek.com should siphon it out with a few pumps.you may have to add some hose to it.I've heard of people taking off the tailgate and dropping the drum on to old tires.(never done myself)I had the same problem I used a heavy duty handtruck and a home made ramp.(not fun)its great having it delivered.I pay $130 delivered now.

The tote should have a ball valve on it already. Just go to a hardware store and get a gator lock and adapt it to a hose. With a tote on the ground you should be able to tranfer to another tote or drums without a pump.

use a cheap sure flow, rinse afterward.

Thanks, Jon.

That's the way I'm leaning now & I'll probably do that. I'm in the market for a new Shurflo (or Flojet) anyway for roof work. Plus they're a dime a dozen on Ebay.

Thanks for all of the replies...

As long as the drum you are transfering from is higher than the receiving drum,a pump style drum pump from pressuretek.com should siphon it out with a few pumps.you may have to add some hose to it.I've heard of people taking off the tailgate and dropping the drum on to old tires.(never done myself)I had the same problem I used a heavy duty handtruck and a home made ramp.(not fun)its great having it delivered.I pay $130 delivered now.

dude I have kicked 55 gallons drums off of a flat bed dually before, got to have someone catch them. first time i did it, my friend bill told me too, and I was like you are crazy this drum of material cost $1200. it worked, did break.

I too buy 55's. Done right, it's a bear but still a one man job. With two men, it's a breeze. Just get yourself two old truck tires from the tire shop. Stack them at the base of the lowered tailgate and roll the drum off gently onto them. Don't roll fast or you will overshoot the tures. You want it to drop onto the tires. They will compress a bit, expel some air, and then support the drum. Next, get off the truck and stand the drum up onto it's bottom from it's resting place on the tires. A good 300# hand truck and a ratchet strap will move that drum. You'll bust a tire about every 6 months, but they are cheap. Now you can pump from the drum itself with a $20 drum pump.

Problem: If you roll the drum too fast and off the tires (about 1 in 10 times), it is not a one man job to right it unless you have a way elevate the drum head. To do this, I have several pieces of 2x6 in varying lengths. Place one on one side and roll the drum head onto it. Now place 2 on the other side and roll back onto that. Increase to 3 planks on the first side, roll back. Repeat this until the drum head is 8-10 inches off the ground. Then one man can stand the drum back onto it's base. A 4ft section of board and a pair of cap blocks (or any ramp that will allow you to elevate the drum head) also works.

dude I have kicked 55 gallons drums off of a flat bed dually before, got to have someone catch them. first time i did it, my friend bill told me too, and I was like you are crazy this drum of material cost $1200. it worked, did break.

Catch them? 660lbs in a 3ft free fall? Not me. That's a recipe for getting hurt.

Back to the previous solution, I used to roll them down a pair of 2x10's and then just right them at the bottom. If you have access to a flat lift cart, you can just scoot them off and then lower them,

All of this laying these drums on the side, doesn't it leak all over your truck bed and eventually rust out your bumper and tailgate of your truck? I have an enclosed trailer with a ramp rear door, and have the drums loaded into my trailer at the supplier. When I get it to my garage, I slide the drums down the ramp right into my garage.

I bought ramps like you would use to load a fourwheeler or lawn mower into your truck with. They work great.

I'm paying 67.00 plus tax for 10% in 55 gal drums and they deliver if I buy $250.00 worth a time.

I bought ramps like you would use to load a fourwheeler or lawn mower into your truck with. They work great.

I thought of that too. What kind of hand truck do you use to meve the barrell around with?

I'm paying 67.00 plus tax for 10% in 55 gal drums

That's a good price. Do you notice a difference between 10% & 12.5%? I'm residential (houses, flatwork, roofs...).

This drum truck is what i use to pour my bleach into my smaller containers just screw a plastic spicket in and you're good to go.The one i use has a strap to hold the drum in place.

30btad6.gif

Well the off loading the solution is covered but for future moving of heavy items:

You mentioned you have a trailer?...

If it is low enough with drop axle and you got a ramp you might want to invest in a pallet jack like you would see in a warehouse from maybe Harbor Freight or the like..

I use mine to move anything and everything I can't with a standard hand dolly including my 800 lb machine. All you do is lay some 4x4 under the object and let jack down and wheel it on out..