Sign in to follow this  
HotShot

Recommendation letters

I have a question about recommendation letters. My customers are usually thrilled with my work and I always suggest maybe giving me a letter of recommmendation. Most of the time they say absolutely they would love to, but I'll wait and wait and never receive it. I don't have enough guts to call somebody and ask where my letter is, so this is what I'm thinking.

I write my own letter and have them sign it if they're truly pleased. The problem I have with this is it's really hard to toot your own horn. I have no idea how to word it. Any ideas?????

Yes, writing your own letter may be the only way to get a good stack of letters. If you have trouble sitting down to write a letter for yourself, think how much trouble it would be for a client, regardless of how happy they are with you.

First, introduce them to the idea of your writing the letter when you are leaving the job and everyone loves you. "Many people would write a letter for me, but people are busy.. howsabout I write a letter for your endorsement"?

Second, identify those qualities that prospective clients look for; competent, good clean-up, is nice to the dog, etc.

Third, write a letter that would appeal to a prospect that also has some relevance to your client's experience with you.

Fourth, present the letter to the client and ask them if they feel comfortable with this endorsement.

Continue to ask for these testomonials even when you get rejected. You don't need every client's endorsement. But testomonials may be the best marketing initative that you can invest in.

A good day to present the testimonial is the day after they receive your Thank You card.

Bill

We just finished a new brochure. The writer actually called up one of our customers and discussed a testimonial, and wrote it from the phone conversation. I ran into the customer the following week. He actually said he was glad she called as he'd been meaning to do it. We put the testimonial in the brochure.

Make up a feedback form. Leave it after each job. The form should thank the client for the business, and it should ask them a few simple questions and allow them to rate their experience. Leave a small space for them to write a testimonial.

Hope this helps.

Beth

Anytime! ;)

Please take a few minutes to complete our service satisfaction survey.

1. How would you rate your overall expereince with our company? Poor__ Fair__ Good___ Very Good___ Excellent___
  2. How was our customer service and contact with our office? Poor__ Fair__ Good__ Very Good__Excellent__
  3. Would you purchase services from us again? Yes__ No__ Unsure___

Please take the time to share a few words about your expereince with us. This feedback helps other consumers as well.

Here are a few ideas to get you going! :cup:

Beth

That's awesome Beth..am thinkin I want that exactly. (well maybe with spelling correction) :) ...

Am trying to remember what format and type of paper the restaurants do theirs on. They are preposted and ya drop them in the mail after eating somewhere.