Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

Working with Contractors-Customer protection advice

This is a set of recommendations for a customer looking to hire a contractor.

Working with Contractors

Here's how to protect yourself when hiring a home improvement contractor, according to the Better Business Bureau, the National Association of Home Builders and the National Association of the Remodeling Industry.

• Never pay everything upfront-laws differ state to state, but usually the maximum for a down payment is one-third of the project cost.
  • Determine what you can afford and set a limit, as costs tend to go up during the project.
  • Get bids from multiple contractors.
  • Check references and arrange to view recent jobs.
  • Have a very specific contract laid out from the beginning; set a start and end date.
  • Discuss building permits and whether the contractor or client is responsible for securing them.
  • Ask if the contractor is licensed.
  • If there are any changes during the job (new materials, added costs), specify them in writing.
  • Debris removal and cleanup in the contract.
  • Don't be pressured into signing a contract before you are ready.

Source: Survey done by Opinion Research Corp. on behalf of Kimberly-Clark Professional. Conducted in early March 2006.

Rod!~

I agree with almost everything but the multiple bids thing. Comparing bids on jobs requires more than most homeonwners are capable of doing. They start comparing based upon price when material quality, efficiency at which project will be completed, time in business and reputation are much more important. Of course I am also biased. I believe once they meet me there is no need to look anywhere else.