Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

I used to be a nice guy, but...

Question

I used to be a nice guy, but when homeowners fail to be home when they have a job scheduled to be done, I get a little upset.

I waited around for a bit after leaving messages on the home phone, and both of their cell phones, and while waiting, some tile setters showed up and set up all their saws and other junk right where I needed to be.

Up until now, I have not had any problems with residential work. They have always been home, always paid as soon as the job is done, and have never scheduled other services on my service day.

I do not use a contract prior to service. I have a proposal and it spells out all the terms and conditions of the job and what is to be expected by both parties. When I show up for the job, I do a quick review of the terms, remind them to check all windows, and get the pets inside. They then sign the authorization for work and acknowledgement of the terms, and when done, I have them sign for satisfactory completion of work.

After today, all work will be signed for at estimate time, and a cancellation fee wil be applied unless they notify me 24 hours prior. If I show up, and they are not home, I will charge them a yet to be determined percentage of the job cost. Need to see what is legal before I set my dollar amount.

And three hours after the job time, they still have not called me back. Bums.

13 answers to this question

Preferred,

I don't understand why you require your customers to be home when servicing their property. If b/c you want a signature for authorized work then have them sign when you estimate or leave a copy of the estimate with them and make sure you tell them to fax you a signed copy of everything that's involved.

Besides, don't your customers work during the day?

I've had problems with customers not calling the community gate and grant me access and at the same time not be available by means of telephone. Those cx will be charge a nominal fee for having to reschedule.

85% of my customers are usually not home when I perform the work and I, to be honest, prefer it that way. I get my job done faster, and quicker without the usual home owner interjections. (silly crap like "i noticed some dirt on my window. Are you going to clean up after yourself before you leave?")

Things are here are much different and people don't have opened windows b/c of the heat. Yet still, I don't see why it's imperative that your clients be present at time of service. The tile guys were more than capable of doing their work and if they've hunted you down for your services then it's safe to assume that they want it. Paying you should not be an issue and checks can be mailed just as easily.

Thats a bummer.

Sometimes I kind of prefer they are not home on roofs because of how fast we are. They get into the

I wish I could make xx in that mcuh time.

Scheduling other work like tile work at the same time is wrong and would have set me off also.

Good luck

Thats a bummer.

Sometimes I kind of prefer they are not home on roofs because of how fast we are. They get into the

I wish I could make xx in that mcuh time.

Explain to them everything that's involved in doing your work and they'll soon think otherwise. Unfortunately all they see is the time you spent at their property.

Scheduling other work like tile work at the same time is wrong and would have set me off also.

Good luck

WHY?????? (is it wrong or does it set you off)

Gentleman. We have to get used to the fact that we are not the only contractors who exist.

Do the poolguys skip their client b/c a pressure cleaning rig is parked infront?

Do the sanitation people leave the garbage bin full? Does the mailman (or woman) skip the mailbox b/c she actually has to get out of the vehicle for one mailbox (or 15 if you're counting the painters, pool guys, landscapers, garbage men, courier services or the general influx of home owner vehicles which have a tendency to be parked on county roads)

There are countless times when I've pulled up to a residential home and the landscapers have taken, what I deem to be, the prime parking spot.

I simply make the best of it and have to spend an additional 15 minutes of elbow grease when reeling my hoses.

No big deal!!

ps: If I'm missing something here, as to why you are upset, please explain b/c I just can't see it.

I would not have let the tile guys set up. "Yo guys, you can't setup there we're cleaning that area/ I'll work around you but I'm not gonna be responsible if your tools get wet.

If I am there first I'm working. Period. The other guys can reschedule or take it up with the homeowner.

I tell homeonwer in instances where it was a referrall and I didn't have to sell the job, "I will fax or email you a contract. I need it ready for my guys before any work can begin" People understand contractual agreements and are less likely to do what they did to you, Alan if consequences are spelled out politely but clearly.

Explain to them everything that's involved in doing your work and they'll soon think otherwise. Unfortunately all they see is the time you spent at their property.

WHY?????? (is it wrong or does it set you off)

Gentleman. We have to get used to the fact that we are not the only contractors who exist.

Do the poolguys skip their client b/c a pressure cleaning rig is parked infront?

Do the sanitation people leave the garbage bin full? Does the mailman (or woman) skip the mailbox b/c she actually has to get out of the vehicle for one mailbox (or 15 if you're counting the painters, pool guys, landscapers, garbage men, courier services or the general influx of home owner vehicles which have a tendency to be parked on county roads)

There are countless times when I've pulled up to a residential home and the landscapers have taken, what I deem to be, the prime parking spot.

I simply make the best of it and have to spend an additional 15 minutes of elbow grease when reeling my hoses.

No big deal!!

ps: If I'm missing something here, as to why you are upset, please explain b/c I just can't see it.

it can really interfere with your work when you have lawnmowrs

and hoses in the same yard, also if you are spraying bleach

and people are out there walking around you could screw up everbodys clothes and get them wet and soapy, as well as

soaking their power tools.

i wont do a job if they schedule me and someone else at the same time, i will reschedule the job for another day or wait untill they are done. it doesent happen that often so its not a big deal if i have to do that.

it doesent bother me if the h.o.s are not home, but i do like it when they are there so i can get paid on the spot.

On occasion I run into the landscapers being there. they usually do the whole job in under 20 minutes. time I utilize to mis detergents, check fluids, return phone calls, etc. If a side of the yard has been cut, I will start there so long my hoses are safe.

I also prefer them not to be home. All paper work is in their hands prior to my service. they recieve a reminder call the evening before and we decide on a spot where they will leave the signed paperwork with a check. I do my job and leave a reciept in the same spot. I prefer them not be home and usually the homeowner loves it because they do not need to take time out of the day.

My only requiement if they are not home is they I have a contact number for them. I require this in the event that I see loose siding, a damaged light, etc., I call them prior to my work and tell them so there is no blame game. This is usually done during the estimate as well.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not a jerk to them. I just cant clean roofs and have folks below that are not with me.

One drop ...ya never know could blind someone or like I think it was rod saying you could set off someones ahsma.

This morning I did a roof and the guy said his coy fish pond was worth 6 to 7k! I double duct taped and bagged the downspout that shoot right into a collection of rocks that cascade under a deck to the pond.

About 4pm a shower came in(I live a few miles close) and I rushed back over to find him about to use a rerout tube. I had my tube with me. Not a drop in the bags :) I guess the shower passed?? I will sleep well tonight with the reroute tube in place I guess. But I wasn't going to rerout it. I think the bags are better but he is the bossman and thats what he wanted. We rerouted into a huge metal trough.

This was a tough roof. I couldn't rerout and rinse because the area to reroute would have leached into or close to the pond. I think I made the correct choice. My juice was like glue....no rain!

I killed 15 goldfish today. The people had a reroute tube coming from thier downspout diverting water 30 feet away from pond. Well we cleaned the roof but turns out that the diverter wasn't completely sealed at the townspout. and leaked a little love close to the pond. Before we left there were floaters. I just got off of phone with the Pond guys. They are going to drain/scrub the pond and re-fill/stock. Costing me about $250. Oh well. This is the life as a Bleach Dweller. :lgsick:

If it were the gardener or the pool guy, no big deal as they are so fast. However when it is a tile crew that will be there for hours, it is a problem.

The tile guys had keys and were in the house when I went back to the door. I asked them if the homeowners were there and got a blank stare and a few non english words.

I make it clear to folks that I get the exclusive on job day. I had the house to wash and the driveway. there was a suv in there and I could see windows that were not fully closed.

When I do residential, the folks are usually home. I only do high end residential, so these folks can be home whenever they want.

Preferred,

I understand your issue with cars and open windows.

In the past I've confirmed jobs over and over and still there was a vehicle left in the drive. After making 3 calls and leaving voicemails the drive was the last to be cleaned and the truck was cleaned around. The blocked portion was obviously omitted, I got paid and thank you very much.

If they'd wanted me to return they'd have to pay my minimum charge again.

As far as tile guys are concerned it's also a simple fix. i'll tell them they've got to setup somewhere else and before they realize I'm on the roof and doing my thing. Trust me, they relocate what needs to be relocated in order to save their equipment.

Allan I see your problem but I would have done the job anyway. IF the tile guys who sound like they may be illegal aliens where inside the house I to would have walked in to shut all the windows and then I would have set-up outside and started Powerwashing. I've done this in the past and even though I dont like this the job has to get done because I don't have the time of day to come back..unless if I have another job near by that can be done then I'll call that homeowner to see If I can start that job now.

Either way in most cases there are solutions that seem to work even though in the midst of trying to see what they are you are a little upset because the homeowner made this job a little tough for you...It like a game of billiards....there is always a shot.

P/S. I have even in the past taped closed a couple of left open windows so I could Powerwash the house. A pain and a little loss of time but the job still gets done.

John,

I have to say, that going in and closing the windows myself never came to mind. Not a bad idea, but could also backfire if people want to be jerks.

Balázs,

If I were to encounter a car in a parking lot I am cleaning, then I would go around and not think twice, but residential is different, at least for me.

The guy called back on Sunday and wanted to reschedule for that day. He offered to pay more before I could say anything, but I politely declined without even asking or telling him what the upcharge would be.

I have my limits with some people. He wanted a spot asap, that could not be delivered. He then settled on my next available date only to call back 10 minutes later and cancel.I love my repeat commercial accounts.