Sign in to follow this  
Keth

Job tomorrow. WASPS!

Question

As you all know I am a new guy but have rapidly transitioned from the guy with the little machine climbing ladders with my soap nozzle and downstreaming Clorox to an experienced x-jetter and now doing my first downstream job tomorrow using all of the techniques you have all taught me.

I have run across wasp nests before and I just blasted em away and ran to work on another side of the house for awhile but tomrrows job has four huge wasp nests and most are about 35 feet up. I can get to them easily with a 0030 nozzle but was thinking I would just blast them when I arrived with a strong x-jet mix and then go work another side of the house. Figured I would ask here what you all do when confronted with nests like this. Call an exterminator is not an option as the owner has a party tomorrow night.

What do you guys/gals do? I have had luck blasting them and running but wondering how others approach it. Does anyone actually x-jet some sort of wasp killer mix or do you find that a strong housewash mix works fine? My downsteam mix is set to give me 1.3% of Sodium Hypo at the wall.

18 answers to this question

I blast em off with the 0 degree rinse tip and get to work. Sometimes they don't come off, then I hit them with my house mix and after I'm finished with the house I'll go up the extension ladder with my brush pole and knock em down. Good luck and happy downstreaming.

Soak em with house mix and blast them !!!!

Thanks guys. I am glad you replied Jeff as you are near me and probably have seen the same exact thing. I am used to the mud wasp nests and house mix usually kills em while I work elsewhere but these are HUGE paper wasp nests and was just curious if housemix would get them too. I suspect it will but just wanted to walk in and deal with it like a pro instead of running around with wasps chasing me. It is a retired couple and they always watch out the windows.

From all that everyone has taught me here my business is growing on referrals alone and I average about 3X more per house and use less time to do it. Gotta love it. Life is good.

:lglolly:

I downstream 12% and surfactant and they fly for a sceond then fall to the ground.I think sodium hypochlorite burns them but they don't bother me after that.

Make sure your mix is not so stong that it damages more than just the nest if you go this option.

Now mine would be to remove these nests early in the morning before light or at night (evening) when they are all nestled in to warm up before the cooler night. Preferrably before the job. If you hit them during the day and some have already left the nest and are then searching on the return for the nest you, and your machine omitting noise will anger them and then even bring the anger on until the next day, leaving your customer and their party guests unhappy.

If you want to possibly avoid the ladder route go down in nozzle size to increase pressure. Like 0060 or even stronger depending upon your experience and confidence. Angles help too. Spray em with wasp spray before you hook up. Housewash with Chlorine works though.

I hit a nest today that was hidden behind a rake board. They all came out p!ssed, and before I knocked them all down, I got hit twice. I really feel for the people that have to carry and epi pen and go into shock when stung.

Thanks gang. I think I will mix a fiver of Flaming Cherry and X-jet the front foyer. That should kill the wasps and it is filthy so using a stronger mix on this small section will make sense. Will do the rest of the house with my 1:1 sunbrite citrus and SH mix downstreamed. Long sleeve shirt and pants today for sure!

Shane that gave me a body chill . I hate insects.

A customer a couple weks ago brought out a can of wasp/nornet kiler that said 40,000 volts of dielectric breakdown power. I didn't use it or try it (wasn't sure what it was supposed to do) Does anybody know what this type of product does?

I hit a nest today that was hidden behind a rake board. They all came out p!ssed, and before I knocked them all down, I got hit twice. I really feel for the people that have to carry and epi pen and go into shock when stung.

I know a guy that is like this, well maybe not as severe, but he will swell up and if he doesnt take that shot within a few min he will have to go to the ER

Just got done with the house. The Flaming Cherry bomb worked wonders. I blasted them and went to work on the other side of the house. When I cam back there were tons of wasps just laying near the front door. Dead.

Found one more nest behind some corner trim. Normal house wash had their heads spinning and everytime one stuck his head out he got a shot. Cleared the area pretty quick as it wasnt very dirty there.

Thanks to all. The epi pen is still full!

Looks Great Keith, and how was your first downstreaming experience?

Well, it was interesting and fun but I have a bit more to go. Firstly I used less chemical by about 35-40% which was impressive considering I spent a fair amount of time just experiementing with different nozzles. It took about the same amount of time as x-jetting for my first time as I was experimenting and the x-jet is just real easy for plant rinsing.

My goal is to find a low and high soap and a low and high rinse nozzle that will take care of just about everything on a two story house. The reason for this is that I am building two rollover nozzles, one for soap and one for rinse and plan to carry a few other single nozzles for special situations.

For low soap I have a 4040 which is fine. For high soap I have a 2540 but would like a little extra reach so may go to a 1540. For super high soap I have an 0030 and an 0040 which work fine.

For rinsing I am a bit hosed right now asI am using a 2510 for low rinse which seems to work but would like a bit more flow but I am backordered on some #20 nozzles and don't know yet if they have enough backpressure to not draw soap with my machine. Hoping that a 20 orifice doesn't draw soap. Fingers crossed. If it doesn't I would go with the 2520 for low rinse and something like a 1520 for high rinse. For wetting down plants I have no idea what is best but the 2510 seems a bit agressive and would like something mellower for wetting them down. Maybe a 4020.

For super high rinsing I only have an 0010 and have to be real careful to stand way back and waggle it to knock the core out of it. Hoping I can go with a 0020 except for everything but the very extreme. The house I did today was large and had a vinyl covered chimney that was about for stories. The 0030 soaped it and the 0010 rinsed it just fine. Had to time it when the wind gusts were down but in the old days I would have been up on ladders and sliding all over the place. Truly fun doing all of this from the ground. :)

All in all I thought it went well and can certainly see some time savings down the road once I settle on a method. Time and chemical savings point me to doing this as my basic setup. For really messy situations I would pull out the X-jet and it will always stay on the truck for oxalic on driveways as well as a backup in case my downstream injector failed in the middle of a job.

Wow, just looked and this post is too long. Sorry.

Cheers

My M-5 is what I have settled for all rinsing needs. It may be a little heavier in my pocket than other nozzles. but the M-5 is perfect for pre-wetting shrubs, and high and low rinsing with its adjustable fan capabilites.

With a 0040 for high soaping, a 2540 for low soaping, and the m-5, I can tackle most any house wash. I will carry the turbo nozzle if the house has a real nasty foundation.

My M-5 is what I have settled for all rinsing needs. It may be a little heavier in my pocket than other nozzles. but the M-5 is perfect for pre-wetting shrubs, and high and low rinsing with its adjustable fan capabilites.

With a 0040 for high soaping, a 2540 for low soaping, and the m-5, I can tackle most any house wash. I will carry the turbo nozzle if the house has a real nasty foundation.

John,

That is a good idea. You had mentioned it before and I just plain forgot. Until I find the right nozzles for the rinse rollover I will just pocket the M5. Thanks for the reminder.

Keth

John,

Just an update. I used the rollover with a 2540 and 0040 tip for soaping today and just the M-5 for rinsing and boy it was a dream. Real fast and efficient. Thanks.

I did pull out two other nozzles for the whole house. I still like my 4040 for soaping porches with ceilings and the owner asked if I could get an old wasp nest down from the highest spot on the house. I explained to him about the 0010 tip and that it might be too agressive and he said "I am not worried if you rip the vinyl off. I am sick of that stupid nest". I filled the hose with soap and then blasted it off. No damage and he was happy. Told him he couldn't sue me if the upstairs ceiling got a water stain. He said he was a drywall contractor for 10 years and could fix anything I could take down. Nice guy and he was extremely impressed with the job I did. A new customer for life!