Sign in to follow this  
PLD

# of Fayettville Ga Pressure Washers

Question

This summer has without a doubt been the most down time that I have ever seen in this business (3 years). We have dicussed the reasons at length here and elsewhere with gas prices being high on the list of suspects. Another topic around the bleach barrel here is the number of new, unrecognized rigs that we see *each day*. So, today I pulled up 2-3 major local ad channels and tried to identify just how man there are. The results: Roughly 23 identifiable, advertising FT operators in the Fayette Co, Ga. By windshield estimation, I guess there are actually closer to 30+ FT operators. I don't even want to fathom the number of PT operators.

Our demographic? 32-34k owner occupied SFR's.

Thoughts? How does this compare to the areas you work in?

7 answers to this question

Wow that # is high. I'm just outside Toronto,Ont. Population 3.5 million+. There is plenty of work. Yes there is lowballers everywhere.I'd hazard a guess at 75.

Hi pldoolittle,

I happen to be one of those PT operators in Fayette County. I am still in the Corporate world and hope to depart over the next year or two and make this more of a full time opportunity.

Actually, with all the growth in our part of the country, there should be a lot of great opportunities.

I hope to get over and see you sometime.

Barry

Hi pldoolittle,

I happen to be one of those PT operators in Fayette County. I am still in the Corporate world and hope to depart over the next year or two and make this more of a full time opportunity.

Actually, with all the growth in our part of the country, there should be a lot of great opportunities.

I hope to get over and see you sometime.

Barry

Come see me anytime. As for the opportunities on our side of town, I'd suggest that you evaluate the current situation hard before jumping ship. The water is fine for PT'ers. But for FT'ers, the pool appears to be too small for the number of guests that have arrived... Just run the numbers for 32k SFD homes.

Optimistically:

100% wash every 2 years, that's 16k washing per year.

Divide 16K homes 24 ways and you only get 650 per company, per year. Only 12.5 per week.

Average $200/job and you're grossing just $2500/week.

Basic operations cost at this rate will be about 50% or $1250.

After it's all said and done, you are looking at 60k/yr EBIT.

A fair wage for a job, but a terrible return for a business.

And it does not factor in part timers....

Pessimistically:

60% wash every 3 years, that's 6400 washing per year.

Divide 6400 homes 24 ways and you only get 265 per company, per year. Only 5.1 per week.

Average $200/job and you're grossing just $1120/week.

Basic operations cost at this rate will be about 75% or $840.

After it's all said and done, you are looking at $14.5K/yr.

A terrible wage for a job, and suicide for a business.

That's just the effect of the FT'ers. NOW FACTOR IN 40 PART TIMERS...

We're feeling the impact significantly and we've been at it for 3 years FT. We have an established customer base, are well known in the community, and spend about 25% of our budget on advertising. Our net margin for this year is a dismal 10.5%.

One sure fire way to see things are out of balance it to look at advertising performance. Previously performing ad channels (across the board) are performing at a rate less than 1 per 1000. We just finished a postcard campaign for 5000 *highly* targeted top dollar homes. In past years, this card/list has garnered ~1% return and about 5:1 ROI. This run we got 3 calls, 2 bookings, and a blistering -500% ROI.

In pinellas county, the most densly populated county in florida, there are about 125 sfr's. all with in 20 miles. there are more than 150 listings in the YP (than # changes regularly as its the section with the highest turnover in the yp) that does not include those in the Yellow book, those that dont run an add there-like me- and part timers.

If it wasnt for my commercial clients, id be starving now, but when residential business comes, its good, and it seems that it all comes at once.

Time in business is a big factor in repeat customers, along with referrals.

A good buddy here said that the month he began his 3rd year, he took off. My third year started just before the slow down, so im hopefull it will take off when people start spending again.

Phillip, I know you do mostly resi work, but you really need to get some comercial work. some of those jobs will be huge and really allow you to keep money coming in.

Dont worry about competition,slow times will get rid of a good number of those. If your not getting calls, neither are they.

Just from the little I know about you, Im pretty sure your work stands out and will get repeat and referral customers. you just have to find a way through the slow periods.