Sign in to follow this  
Curb Appeal

ebay scams

Question

I don't know how many of you use ebay or to what extent, but those that do, be on the lookout...

Over the weekend I bid on a 8gpm hydrotek. I lost the bid (I'm kicking myself for trying to save $250 by not using the "buy it now"). Monday I got an email that looked like it was from ebay regarding their "Second Chance Offer" program. It said that the higest bidder backed out and that the seller was offering the item to me for my bid.

I got really excited and had a good day all day long. That night, I got another email from the seller but the email address and name didn't match the one I had conversed with about the item before the auction ended. The grammar of this email was bad too. He was asking me for my shipping information saying that shipping was included in my price. Shipping? For a 700lb. skid? The auction's terms were: deposit, inspection, payment.

I did a little digging and evidently there are a fair number of people trying to scam people this way. Usually the email will have a link that must be clicked on to enter information. The page that comes up will look exactly like an ebay page. Then they get account info, usernames, passwords, etc...

The easiest way to avoid this type of scam is: Ebay really does have a "Second Chance Offer" program, but the offers will come to you only by way of "My Messages" in your "My Ebay" area. If you get an email like this, go check "My Messages". If it's not there too, it's a scam.

8 answers to this question

Joel, these type of scams have been going on at ebay for a few years. When I was a Deputy Sheriff, I helped investigate and find & proscute 3-individuals that were pulling scams like this and other types. It sure felt good working with Ebay security to nail these scammers. The best way to check things out, is check the feedback, I never buy from anyone who has less than 50 feedbacks. I also read everyone to make sure they got those feedback from both buying & selling things. Also never, never, click on any button from anyone especially ebay or Paypal that is emailed to you! Like you stated, always go to ebay yourself through their website to check on things of do any transactions. Be safe and cautious! Hugh

Yea they will scam you if you ain't carefull. I sold a home DVD system for $500 and lost the whole thing, Got a fake e-mail saying I had received payment for the it so I shipped it and Never did get my money.!!! :( Those crooks!!!!!!!!!

Yea those Crooks...will get there's. Maybe not today or Tomorrow but sooner of later there crooked Greed will catch up with them and they will get either A-caught. B- The xxxx kicked out of them or C- Tortured and possibly killed because they messed with the wrong guy...

Sold two cars, bought one. Other item bought/sold: Who knows. Hundreds. Not one bad experience.

Just be cautious and handle the transaction like you would any complete stranger.

I used to be a Power Seller (yuck, I know- but I"m being honest here) and have thousands of transactions with different ID's. I've only had a couple of bad deals as a buyer or seller.

If someone has eBay questions feel free to post or PM me.

You need to be careful on ebay. I got my pw system, truck, atv, camper and several small items off ebay. The main thing you need to keep in mind is any second chance offer must go through ebay. Check your (my ebay) messages. If it is a true second chance offer, it will be sent through My Ebay. My camper was a second chance offer. The other ones I do not even answer. One other thing, never send money through western union or any thing like that, and if an offer seems to good to be true, it could be a scam. Kem